• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendly Pre season friendlies

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Barnsley signed Norwood 1 year deal with option of 2nd
Hey ho. Even a one year deal at a side just down from the championship will be more money than what we could have offered him on 2 years. Good luck to him. Hopefully he behaves himself and can stay fit.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Will be interesting to hear the thoughts of anyone at the game today. Sounded fairly comfortable, although another injury though to a trialist who may not sign anyway. The Rovers Twitter suggested Sam Taylor has pace, wonder if he’ll make the bench with all the injuries. Nevitt not found the net in pre-season yet.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Barnsley signed Norwood 1 year deal with option of 2nd
Strange destination for him, nowhere near any of his family on the south coast and think he’s still banned from driving. Hope it works out for him but have my doubts.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes boz I thought that about Nevitt. Hard to judge on preseason but I’m sure it hasn’t gone unnoticed but mickey

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Strange destination for him, nowhere near any of his family on the south coast and think he’s still banned from driving. Hope it works out for him but have my doubts.
It may be purely down to money. He won’t have many contracts left in his career as 32 in September.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It may be purely down to money. He won’t have many contracts left in his career as 32 in September.
I’m sure that you're right Sparky and money is a factor but some of those rumoured to have been interested could pay better than Barnsley. Might try and catch a game at Oakwell, see how he’s doing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky said post match that Tom Davies should return to training next week, and that he’s still looking to bring in a few new players in the next two weeks before the season starts

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was another decent performance.

The standout player in the first half was MacAlear. He has been quiet in pre-season so far but he showed his creative quality today. An assist for Hemmings for the opening goal, and then a lovely link up with Kane and a classy finish for the second. I think he is another good, young signing. Nolan was also much improved today playing in a more advanced role, intelligently finding space and producing a sublime through ball for Taylor. We have got some good options in the middle of the pitch and there will be real competition for places in that area.

Defensively I thought we looked a little shaky on a couple of occasions when we were counter-attacked, but were generally solid. Jameson had another good game, with some good interceptions, and Hockenhull was composed.

The trialist striker looked very useful indeed in his twenty minutes on the pitch: strong and powerful and took his goal very well. This is not intended as an attack on Nevitt, but for all of Elliott's good points, Mumbongo had more of a direct goal threat in twenty minutes than Nevitt has had all pre-season. We desperately need more up front, and I would be tempted to sign the trialist on today's evidence.

Hemmings is absolute class (three in five in pre-season) and his link play was excellent, in addition to his goal. However, he needs more help up front.

The striker issue is still to be addressed and we need a bit more depth in some areas, but I think the squad is shaping up well. We have got some good quality this season.

Player
Manager
John King
I should also add that Rhys Hughes looked very accomplished on the ball again, despite being played out of position, and seems to be ahead of the home grown youngsters in his development.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC, why do you think Nevitt isn’t doing much in terms of goal scoring in pre-season? Also were you able to form an opinion on how bad the trialist’s injury was?

Player
Manager
John King
RLC, why do you think Nevitt isn’t doing much in terms of goal scoring in pre-season? Also were you able to form an opinion on how bad the trialist’s injury was?
I don't think Nevitt gets in the eighteen yard box enough. He spends all of his time running the channels, whereas he needs to learn from Hemmings that there are occasions when you simply have to let play develop and get in the box. I am not sure his awareness when he is in the box is great at times either, as to whether he should run to the near post or far post.

You can't fault his attitude, but I am not convinced he will get us enough goals next season. I don't think he is quite the finished article.

It looked like a thigh strain for the trialist. Hopefully it is something minor. rather than a hamstring injury.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree about Nevitt. He works his socks off but just doesn’t seem to have that killer instinct when chances come or just isn’t in the right place at the right time, like a goal poacher would be.

I think he can play a big part next season but perhaps more of an impact player when opposition defences are tiring. If we’re playing two up front each week then Hemmings needs a better partner than Nevitt, if we can afford one

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree regarding Nevitt although sometimes we have to remember he came from semi professional football and it was a punt on a lad with bags of energy and the right attitude. I hope he improves as a footballer, at 25 im not so sure, but right now we need more up there as RLC says above.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was hoping Nevitt starting from a position where he’s fitter and nowt knowing what’s needed as a professional footballer would kick on a bit this season, but so far the signs aren’t that hopeful. However it seems that the current set up is very much geared to supplying Hemmings, in a way that we weren’t when Kane joined last season. It seems to be working for him too! Perhaps there is an adaptation process required for Eliott to get used to the new system. Always felt we needed at least one more striker, but if I catch next weekend’s friendly might have a better idea about Nevitt’s prospects.

drwhoman

I tend to agree that Nevitt is an impact player. We need a little more guile and penalty box awareness. Hopefully a suitable signing will be made or we will be relying too much on Hemmings this season and if he gets injured we will struggle to score enough goals.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nevitt is certainly fitter and is a handful for defenders. I’m just not sure he has that goal scoring instinct that some way you can’t coach. However many players that aren’t poachers still score goals and hopefully he can get one early in the season and get on a run.
As drwhoman says we dont Want to rely on one player for the majority of goals, look what happened when we did that with Vaughan. Although some luck is required as when Nors got over 30 we went up and he was injury free and in peak condition

Player
Manager
John King
I think we will definitely score more goals from midfield this season. Hawkes is already in goalscoring form and Morris, MacAlear, Lewis and Nolan are all capable of weighing in. There is also a lot more creativity in midfield this season with the new signings.

However, we clearly need striking additions if we are going to seriously challenge for the top three.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting interview with Hemmings... he seems positive about his form. Also Sam Taylor he seems to think has a lot of potential. What did people who were there think? Thanks