• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Pirates v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Next up for rovers is a trip to Joey Barton’s Bristol Rovers where Andy Mangan remains on the coaching staff.

Barton’s job was under threat earlier in the season but in recent weeks there have been improvements, including two successive league wins with a recent impressive win over Northampton who won at PP a few weeks ago. The pirates also had an impressive midweek away win at league one Oxford in the cup and know victory will see them overtake us and possibly reach the top 10.

3 consecutive defeats for rovers with no goals scored and the joint lowest goalscoring record in the division means it doesn’t take Einstein to work out what our problems are. If we lost and results went against us we could be in 16th come 5pm on Saturday.

I guess the question is whether Micky will stick with his usual system of one up top. I suspect he will, given we are away from home but whether the personnel changes remains to be seen.

On recent form I think there is an argument that Feeney or McManaman could be dropped if Hawkes is fit. If he is, then I expect Feeney to step down with Hawkes coming in on the left. The question is whether Nevitt will lead the line again and will Watson keep that position just behind him. Ryan didn’t really impress against Sutton but perhaps he needs a run of games which he hasn’t really had yet. Of course Mickey may be tempted to bring Foley in plus O’Connor if Spearing is suspended after 5 yellows. Suspect it’ll be the same back 4 and keeper although plenty of the SWA would prefer Murphy and Davies to return but as I have said previously, our defence is generally fine – the problems are at the other end. I still think MM should try and find a system to bring Maynard in who is our most natural goalscorer. The old adage if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it works well, but if it is broke (i.e. not scoring), then something does need fixing. We are a third of the way into the season and have major issues scoring goals. Something must change as we can’t just hope to get through to January as there are lots of games between now and then.

Prediction: Buoyed by their recent form I expect a lot of pressure early on from a physical home side. If we can keep them at bay and grow into the game we could get a result, however I fear we’ll go a goal down at some point and may not get back into it. Hope we’re not pinning too much expectation on Hawkes who is still a young lad and just back from injury.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Think Hawkes will be fit after another week's training so he will surely come into the side. Spearing is banned as I understand so that means O'Connor I assume instead. Whether MM will make many other changes or switch to 442 I highly doubt given we are away and also because as Sparky says Bristol are doing pretty well now.
Would hope that Hawkes being back will be enough to help get a result but I can equally see another defeat if we play like we have done in recent League games.

Player
aldo
in some ways, I am glad Spearing is not playing very over rated and we need some younger blood in the team, with the goals not coming from the so-called strikers, we need more from the wide men and centre mids

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
This looked like a reasonable fixture a few weeks ago, but sod's law dictates that the Gas's revival has coincided with our own dip in form. Bristol Rovers seemed to have recruited well in the summer, so it is not a huge surprise that their form has improved under the odious Joey Barton. They will be buoyant after their last minute victory against Oxford in midweek, and this is a very difficult game.

I would expect Hawkes to replace Feeney if he is fit enough, but I am not convinced there will be a change of shape given the trickiness of the fixture. In the circumstances, a draw would be a good result.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really hope we win this because I can’t stand JB.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sadly, I can’t imagine a scenario where we would get anything out of this one. I’d settle for 0-0 now, but fear 0-2 or 0-3 is more likely.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As others have said said this is a difficult game, against a team who have come into form. We have a poor record at Bristol Rovers and I'm going. Think BBTC is being optimistic on the score line.

In terms of line-up, while not a fan of 1 up, don't see any option. There would be no place in my starting xi for Mcmanaman or Feeney and have doubts about Watson. Foley to replace the suspended Spearing and a start again for Morris as one of the few to come out of the Sutton game in credit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We need to see a good performance here. A draw would be decent but the lads have got to pick themselves up after the last few games. We could do without this dragging on into the Christmas period.

Player
ian goodison
would hope davies is back in as KP gives me nightmares apart from that have no confidence at all hope I am wrong

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers boss Micky Mellon spoke to the local press on Thursday ahead of this weeken'ds away fixture against Bristol Rovers.

Mellon went into detail on the progress that he's seen from his team so far this season, even when results haven't gone Rovers way, he implied that the side will try and carry more of an attacking threat this weekend.

"I've seen a progress even in the weekends we've lost games, we're still moving forward. What we've got to do is try and establish a way of playing, establish a way of trying to create chances and score goals, establish a way of trying to keep clean sheets and keep an eye on that with personnel or the team shape.

"We look at that with an evidence-based eye and find out is it working and that's what we're able to do and that's what we'll always do. So, we'll tweak and look at maybe trying to do different things to try and become a bit more of an attacking threat and play things a wee bit differently to see if that works for us.

"We've worked on it this week and the proof of the pudding will be how we perform at it this weekend."

Mellon would also go into detail on 25-year-old striker Eliott Nevitt, who signed a new contract at Prenton Park last weekend. The Merseyside-born attacker has been mightily impressive for Rovers since his arrival in the summer, establishing himself at a higher-level. Mellon cited this as a reason for his deserved contract extension.

"I think immediately when Eliott came he became fitter and when you come from not playing full-time football to full-time football you're inevitably going to become fitter and then there's going to be an impact to their load that he's been introduced to because he's not used to it, but, he's come through that now.

"Then there's loads of work to be done on moving up levels and stuff like that and playing against better defenders and playing with better players and finding a way with the qualities that he has of being an impact all the time.

"But he's definitely moving in the right direction, definitely. It's my job and the coaching staff's job to try and make sure that he keeps moving forward with the qualities that he has, we have to try and enhance them and then we have to build a way of playing around that as you would do with all the players, it's quite as simple as that.

"So, that's what we'll continue to work on. He's definitely moving in the right direction, he's a great lad and we want to give him all the help we can to keep developing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like potentially there could be tweaks to the system which sounds promising although I don’t expect anything drastic

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting interview with Micky who towards the end when the answering some of the usual daft questions does appear a bit sensitive and is maybe feeling the heat a bit.
It does strike me that he clearly isn’t happy with the attacking options at his disposal. He talks a lot about he can only do so much and it’s up to the players on the pitch to get it right

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Interesting interview with Micky who towards the end when the answering some of the usual daft questions does appear a bit sensitive and is maybe feeling the heat a bit.
It does strike me that he clearly isn’t happy with the attacking options at his disposal. He talks a lot about he can only do so much and it’s up to the players on the pitch to get it right
Ultimately a manager is only as good as his players

ADD

Player
Norwood
Ultimately a manager is only as good as his players
100% agree Bigmart but he arguably isn't playing several of our best players right now including our first and second best strikers. Not sure the interview means as many changes as some are suggesting it does but it was interesting how for the first time he mentioned it was Nevitt's job to score goals so maybe Maynard/ Glatzel will come in after all.

Player
Manager
John King
100% agree Bigmart but he arguably isn't playing several of our best players right now including our first and second best strikers. Not sure the interview means as many changes as some are suggesting it does but it was interesting how for the first time he mentioned it was Nevitt's job to score goals so maybe Maynard/ Glatzel will come in after all.
I am not sure I can see this fantastic quality waiting in the wings. I would like to see Maynard given a run in the team, as he is our most natural finisher whatever his other shortcomings. However, Merrie has not looked as good as Foley when played in midfield, and actually seems more effective at left back, and Watson has disappointed since coming into the side.

I remember reading a couple of years ago that Harvey Gilmour was our saviour, and then he played at Bolton......

Player
Manager
John King
Having said all of that, after watching Micky's interview I think there will certainly be changes tomorrow.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
interesting how for the first time he mentioned it was Nevitt's job to score goals
I’m not sure what they expect really when they put a man from a few divisions down into the team as the main and only striker.
Nevitt looks good and I like his attitude but right now he isn’t going to get us the goals.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I would be greatly surprised if we got any points at all.
2-0 to the pirates.

And ive said quite a few times, dont believe that the manager is to blame for the lack of ability and quality on the pitch, the strength of the squad is really poor, as is the football.
You cannot say creativity and Rovers together in the same sentence.