• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Pirates v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A very good performance. A draw was probably a fair result on the balance of play, but we actually created the better chances overall and I am slightly disappointed we did not win it.

It was a decent first half performance, and we looked more balanced and more of an attacking threat with the changes to the side. However, we somehow found ourselves two down through some shocking defending from routine set plays. The first goal was sloppy defending, but the second was a howler from Doohan who came for the ball and completely missed his punch. We missed Spearing's contribution in protecting the back four, but looked pretty comfortable defensively in open play.

However, credit to Micky and the players for the positive changes in the second half, with Maynard replacing the ineffective Nevitt. We were much, much better with Glatzel and Maynard operating as a front two and caused absolute havoc in the Bristol defence at times. Those two players gave us the movement and intelligent running off the ball that we have completely lacked in recent weeks, and we had several good chances prior to the equaliser, principally through Hawkes. Glatzel and Maynard gave us the option of clipping balls in behind and turning the opposition defence rather than simply playing in front of them, and we used that tactic to great effect.

In the closing stages the game was really end to end, with Bristol also missing a couple of great chances, but there is no doubt we deserved something from the match for the quality and character we had shown.

Man of the match, Paul Glatzel. He was the best player on the pitch and Bristol could not live with his skill and awareness at times. Honourable mentions also for Morris, Hawkes and Maynard, who were also excellent.

On today's evidence, I think a front two of Glatzel and Maynard is the best way forward, as they seem to be developing a good understanding. In general, we look a much better side with Hawkes, Morris and Glatzel all on the pitch, as they are such natural, technical footballers.

Adopt a positive approach in the next two home games, and get at Bradford and Stevenage as we did Bristol in the second half today.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Look forward to any reports. Doohan criticised on other sites for not commanding his box as well as he should be doing. Will wait and see the goals
I have always thought that is his weakness, and it was evident today.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC. Really pleased for glatzel as not easy for a young lad coming to play men’s football. Glad Maynard impressed too as he will score goals if given the service.
Sounds like we were unusually slack on set pieces and it would be ironic if we started scoring more but ended up defensively not as solid as we have been.
The lads will have been in positive mood after the game coming from two goals down hopefully now with two winnable home games we can move up the table

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just saw the goals. Looked like KP beaten at the back post for the first. Doohan has had a shocker for their second goal.
a neat finish from MacDonald for our first and a good header by glatzel to level it up. Hawkes was a bit wasteful sending a chance over the bar but they should have won missing it an easy chance of there own

Player
Manager
John King
Just saw the goals. Looked like KP beaten at the back post for the first. Doohan has had a shocker for their second goal.
a neat finish from MacDonald for our first and a good header by glatzel to level it up. Hawkes was a bit wasteful sending a chance over the bar but they should have won missing it an easy chance of there own
KP was definitely at fault for the first goal. I thought he had a poor game, and I was surprised it was Davies who was taken off when we switched to a back four, not that it made a great deal of difference in the end.

I think today's game also demonstrated exactly what Spearing gives us. Constant ratting and tackling in the middle of the pitch. It was too easy for Bristol to get at the defence at times today, albeit Doohan did not have much to do in open play until the last ten minutes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Missed most of the second half but delighted we came away with a point. Pleased Maynard got on the pitch and from reading RLC report, sounds like it was a good pairing with Glatzel. Some food for thought for Micky heading into next week. I think Micky needs to be a little bit more enterprising and not as defensive starting games. We found ourselves 2-0 after 25 minutes so for me that is clearly not working. I would much prefer playing with two up front if we can fit around that.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think we actually started defensively. We had two up front from the start (Nevitt and Glatzel) but gave away two really daft goals. We were more effective with the partnership of Maynard and Glatzel, but we actually did ok in the attacking areas in the first half.

drwhoman

Interesting to reflect that we have the best defensive record in the division despite concerns about the goals conceded yesterday. Maybe we should start on Tuesday with the end of game team but with Spearing for O’Connor.

Player
aldo
think its time for Maynard and Glaz to be Paired up top and Leave Nevitt to see how real forwards work, I like the lad think its a great story but will he ever make it I'm not sure as for glaz I'm made up for him that goal will do him the world of good and we now have a scoring striker, some of the chances we missed yesterday where criminal and a little shooting and defensive practice is needed, good point and come back by the boys

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I still think on balance Bristol Rovers were the stronger team, but we were getting some good ball in attacking areas and on another day might even have nicked a win.

After watching the highlights, it confirms initial views that we were poor defensively. First goal was a quality ball into a dangerous area, while arguably NKP could have done better not easy to defend. I’d be as critical of our failure to pressurise the original difficulty. The second was a total shambles, maybe Doohan should have been more assertive in coming off his line initially but the defenders seemed fairly passive too. Great cross-field pass from Glatzel for Macdonald’s goal, which Calum finished well. I thought he benefitted from the switch to playing as a wing-back. Nevitt seemed to be getting some negative comment from the travelling support, murmurings rather than anything stronger. Things weren’t coming off for him and it was the right decision to take him off at h/t. Maynard was giving their defenders more to think about, thought he and Glatzel were both occupying similar territory and on one occasion both went for the same ball ending a promising attack. Don’t recall many if any goal attempts though. While he can benefit the team, I’d dampen down any expectations of many goals. The equaliser was a bullet header by Glatzel from a decent Hawkes corner; Josh was a bit hit and miss with set pieces in this game.

Agree with Glatzel as MoM. Morris and Macdonald had good games, Hawkes while not at his best gave us many more options than Feeney. Both subs improved things.

Some thinking for Micky before the Bradford game. O’Connor didn’t impose himself enough on the game so think Spearing’s return is inevitable. Does he stick with Doohan who was unconvincing? Back 3 or back 4? Think sticking with Maynard up front in a home game where we need to show more attacking impetus makes sense. Overall Rovers played more attacking football than recently and we need that to continue.

Player
Manager
John King
Our defending in open play was fine, save for the absence of Spearing, and I can't agree that they were the stronger team. The draw was the least we deserved.

Just as an example, in the first half they created nothing in open play whereas we had the goal plus Morris's effort which forced a good save from the keeper. In the second half Hawkes had two glorious chances prior to the equaliser, whereas their opportunities only came in the closing fifteen minutes when they counter attacked us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It didn’t feel that comfortable to me. Bristol Rovers had possession in dangerous areas throughout the game, but didn’t make the most of it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

ADD

Player
Norwood
Decent point considering how we had been playing recently. Having watched the whole game this morning on replay I agree Boz that they had the best chances overall with Anderson missing an absolute sitter in the 89th minute thankfully and Clarke clearing one off the line with Doohan beaten.
That said how refreshing to finally see MM change formation and play with 2 up front and create chances. Yes we will lose the odd one as we will give other teams more opportinities but we will win more by adopting a more attacking mindset.
Hopefully now that will be the end of the Nevitt alone up front experiment and Maynard and Glatzel can be given time to develop - we saw once when they both chased the same through ball and got in each other's way they are not in sync yet but hardly surprising given how little they have played together. They will surely get better as a partnership. Glatzel I agree was MOM - he is getting stronger and stronger on the ball and that allied to his confidence clearly rising I think he will finally become a real asset to us if he is played like he was today and especially if we have Maynard alongside him. His positional awareness is light years ahead of Nevitt who fair play to the lad should have been developing this season on the training ground not playing week in week out. He looked right out of sorts and was correctly subbed at half time. Maynard looked hungry and keen to be involved week in week out. Hopefully he will be.
Finally, I hope that on Tuesday MM bites another bullet and recalls Murphy. I understand he won't want to dent Doohan's confidence as a young keeper who he clearly rates but surely he has seen enough now to know that Murphy is right now the better option for us and whose presence will likely solidify the back line with his reassuring presence behind them.
Big game on Tuesday now - looking forward to it.

Player
Manager
John King
It didn’t feel that comfortable to me. Bristol Rovers had possession in dangerous areas throughout the game, but didn’t make the most of it.
It did not feel completely comfortable because of the absence of Spearing, but the back five did fine in the first half in open play and Doohan had nothing to do other than set plays.

Bristol played a lot of decent football in attacking areas, but only created in general play when the game became stretched in the closing stages, as Barton has admitted in his post match comments.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
ADD makes Some good points about Doohan and it will Be interesting. He’s not looked comfortable of late and Micky has always said hell
Play for Scotland one day but he has looked vulnerable and Murphy was good earlier this season