• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next TRFC Manager

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes, he appers to be the first choice. A good choice I think; did a great job at Grimsby and Shrewsbury.

Yes he has had some success. Although I think one potential problem would be if he comes in and makes changes and didn’t start well, inevitably there would be criticism about why Dawes wasn’t given the job for longer.

Dawes didn’t impress many as an assistant but game by game he’s won more fans over: If we win tomorrow then any new manager will have pressure straight away to match recent results under Dawes 5 wins from 5

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes he has had some success. Although I think one potential problem would be if he comes in and makes changes and didn’t start well, inevitably there would be criticism about why Dawes wasn’t given the job for longer.

Dawes didn’t impress many as an assistant but game by game he’s won more fans over: If we win tomorrow then any new manager will have pressure straight away to match recent results under Dawes 5 wins from 5
That would be the case for any new manager though. I think Hurst is as good a choice as we could have made, given the realistic candidates.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes true RLC. And also Palios will be questioned as his record of manager choice hasn’t been great overall. So hopefully this one works

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hurst would be OK. Like I say, we can look for negatives in anyone that takes over. Let's give them a chance at least.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Makes me think perhaps we were being a bit over optimistic hoping for Adkins, Cowley’s or Cook.
Given our impressive form many would have preferred Dawes until the end of the season instead of a lesser name than those mentioned above.

hurst has the notorious record of the shortest ever reign in charge of Ipswich but has had success in the past so as Ian says let’s get behind him if he gets the job. Hurst assistant has previously been Chris Doig so will be interesting what happens to Dawes if it happens

Player
Manager
John King
Hurst is still only 46 as well, so will still feel he has something to prove. I am sure he would like another opportunity managing at Championship level, and to get there he will need to be successful with us first.

Just as an aside, he signed Payne when he was at Shrewsbury and Stefan had his best ever season under him, so I wonder if he might come in from the cold.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Had a look at a Grimsby fan forum and there was a poll on there about whether they'd have Paul Hurst back. Voting roughly 2:1 against. That may partly reflect that on balance, they're happy with current boss Ian Holloway. There were very mixed messages on there. The main positives were getting them back into the FL and some good recruitment, the downside apart from the poor relationship with fans was a dour style of football. His departure from Scunthorpe was down to a breakdown in working relationship with the chairman, If he does arrive, we'll have to make up our own minds, but really unsure about this one.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We may be well off the mark too! Hopefully, we'll hear something next week.

Player
Manager
John King
Had a look at a Grimsby fan forum and there was a poll on there about whether they'd have Paul Hurst back. Voting roughly 2:1 against. That may partly reflect that on balance, they're happy with current boss Ian Holloway. There were very mixed messages on there. The main positives were getting them back into the FL and some good recruitment, the downside apart from the poor relationship with fans was a dour style of football. His departure from Scunthorpe was down to a breakdown in working relationship with the chairman, If he does arrive, we'll have to make up our own minds, but really unsure about this one.
You can take the comments of supporters of previous clubs with a pinch of salt. There will be jealousy and resentment that he left them for Shrewsbury, just as there is from the Shrews fans because he jumped ship to Ipswich.

If he replicates his success at those two clubs I will be happy.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You can take the comments of supporters of previous clubs with a pinch of salt. There will be jealousy and resentment that he left them for Shrewsbury, just as there is from the Shrews fans because he jumped ship to Ipswich.

If he replicates his success at those two clubs I will be happy.
I think with Grimsby fans it goes deeper than that. I can remember even when they got promoted there was some negative comment about Hurst. Don't know much about what fans at his other clubs thought about him though 1 win in 15 at Ipswich isn't likely to have won many admirers.

Was there resentment and jealousy that Micky left us for Dundee Utd? Sadness at the end of an era maybe, but don't think there was anything worse.

Player
ian goodison
we may not be the biggest club in the world but we have a hell of a fan base so whoever comes in I hope obviously does well and appreciates the passionate support that we offer (subject to the time we can get back)

Player
Manager
John King
I think with Grimsby fans it goes deeper than that. I can remember even when they got promoted there was some negative comment about Hurst. Don't know much about what fans at his other clubs thought about him though 1 win in 15 at Ipswich isn't likely to have won many admirers.

Was there resentment and jealousy that Micky left us for Dundee Utd? Sadness at the end of an era maybe, but don't think there was anything worse.
If a poll was put on the Cowsheds site suggesting that Mellon should come back as manager, I would guess there would be a lot of negative comments for a variety of reasons, yes.

You focus on his one 'failure' at Ipswich, rather than his successes. It is debatable whether that really was a failure when you consider the state the club was in at the time and what happened after he left.

If he is appointed, I will at least let him get through the door before standing in negative judgement. I think it is a reasonable appointment, and any appointment carries an element of risk, including Dawes and Adkins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
He managed Grimsby for several seasons in the hell hole of the National League, which probably explains some of the frustration. He did not take them up first time, but neither did Mellon here despite his generally strong performance, and we only made it by the skin of our teeth in Mellon's second season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If a poll was put on the Cowsheds site suggesting that Mellon should come back as manager, I would guess there would be a lot of negative comments for a variety of reasons, yes.

I love the fact you focus on his one 'failure' at Ipswich, rather than his successes. It is debatable whether that really was a failure when you consider the state the club was in at the time and what happened after he left.

If he is appointed, I will at least let him get through the door before standing in negative judgement. I think it is a reasonable appointment, and any appointment carries an element of risk, including Dawes and Adkins.
His win rate, aside from Ipswich is very good, but the only tangible success he had was getting Grimsby promoted, though perhaps you could count avoiding relegation in his first season after joining Shrewsbury in October.

If Hurst is appointed, like most fans, I would back him until events dictated otherwise. However, with eyes wide open, it seems reasonable to look at any future manager's history and my fear is a similar disconnect with the supporters as we experienced with Brabin.

Player
Manager
John King
I certainly don't think he will have the same rapport with the fans as Mellon, but he is likely to produce better results on the pitch than Brabin.

I would say his biggest tangible achievement was taking Shrewsbury to third place in League One, their best performance in forty years. He also reached a Wembley final that season.

This is not a dig at Mellon, but his performance that season was quite a contrast with Micky's struggles in League One as his immediate predecessor.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz, the ultimate pessimist ;)
Look towards the positives! Still plenty of the season left yet.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
So it seems like its a done deal then reading through the comments on here. I must admit, he wouldn't have been my first choice but as already commented, any new manager gets your support until a time when thats no longer feasible (as with Jacko). We all know that the connection with the fans is a massive thing for our club and our supporters, so you would hope whoever comes in quickly realises this and makes the effort to build that rapport. The Cowleys would haha (still live in hope).......

Player
ian goodison
lets be honest lads apart from mickey (and lets not forget he never had it plain sailing at times) we haven't been complimentary to a lot of our managers ie barnes, Edwards, brabin, adams to name a few its what whoever gets the job does here that counts