• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jan window

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Funny you mention that @bring back the cowshed! as I heard on the radio the other day Tranmere always seem to fair better in the second half of a season under MM. I'm assuming that's true otherwise it would not have been mentioned but certainly some food for thought.
We didn't last season as I'm February we were 2nd then fell away to miss out on the play offs

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not true.

As an obvious example, we had the option of selling Norwood in January 2019 rather than lose him for nothing the following summer. Palios refused to sell and his goals ultimately fired us to promotion.
Also we had offers for Cook in the National League we turned down when we ended up getting promoted

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The problem for the club is that we have rarely sold any players for a number of years now and despite MP comments of us being self sufficient we have made a loss virtually every season since he took over.

At some stage like it or not players will have to be sold especially if the new model is to carry on and be a success

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The problem for the club is that we have rarely sold any players for a number of years now and despite MP comments of us being self sufficient we have made a loss virtually every season since he took over.

At some stage like it or not players will have to be sold especially if the new model is to carry on and be a success
I agree in general. However, Cogley was signed before the youth policy was fully implemented, and selling him now for a nominal fee would weaken us rather than strengthen us as a club, which seems pointless.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The youth policy is long ingrained in Palio's mind remember CBT etc. Conversely he won't support any form of second team as growing youth players is seen as unfeasible (probably correctly under the current English rules). Regardless, the lack of match practice does undermine the first team.
Tranmere consistently carry dead weights often shortly after they signed.
Take the centre halves. He failed to hang onto the local ageing Clarke, when he wanted to, a loss I reckon is now historical. He recruited the excellent Turnbull and got an excellent Simeu, whilst retaining the dependable Davies. None of whom will ever boost the bank balance but are good at football.
Jamieson couldn't hold down a place at woeful Oldham who along with Byrne, a non-leaguer really, won't do anything at the bank or on the pitch. Hockenhull is the real head scratcher, a Prem club player who has now played one senior match in his life pizza at Crewe just as he turns 22. He is currently breaking no pots at old Cheshire League level.
In hindsight you could scrap the thinking behind the last three and seek another Turnbull level signing. Quality over Quantity and on pitch over fantasy transfer fees.

We have only improved markedly in the second half of the season when we have had significant money to spend in January, ie. 2018-19 and 2019-20. That spending was funded by big cup ties.
And, in 1/19, by the reportedly c£200k received for Norburn shortly before the previous summer’s window shut.

Whatever the actual amount was, that was possibly the last time we received a significant fee for a player.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
As was commented by Mellon and Palios at the time, I think the money from the televised cup ties against Oxford City and Southport and (particularly) the proceeds of the Spurs game were vital in allowing us to spend on the scale that we did in January 2019 (Morris, Perkins, Pringle, Nelson etc.).

Yes, undoubtedly it would’ve been. But the Norburn sale was significant too, and often gets overlooked in these conversations. We didn’t have time to replace him in the window in which we sold him and arguably Perks was his eventual replacement in the January.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, undoubtedly it would’ve been. But the Norburn sale was significant too, and often gets overlooked in these conversations. We didn’t have time to replace him in the window in which we sold him and arguably Perks was his eventual replacement in the January.
It depends whether the money was simply absorbed into running costs in the intervening months.

I can't remember exactly when Norburn was sold, but some of that money may also have funded signings in summer 2018.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It depends whether the money was simply absorbed into running costs in the intervening months.

I can't remember exactly when Norburn was sold, but some of that money may also have funded signings in summer 2018.
I'm fairly sure the money from the Norburn sale was used to pay back another loan from PJ.

The fact is we generated a few hundred grand from both a cup run and a player sale, the aggregate of which would’ve been both reinvested into the squad (especially when the sold player needs replacing) and absorbed into running costs or accelerated debt repayment. Put another way, we undoubtedly had more clout in the January window as a result of both those ‘windfalls’ than if we’d just had a cup run.

Player
Manager
John King
The fact is we generated a few hundred grand from both a cup run and a player sale, the aggregate of which would’ve been both reinvested into the squad (especially when the sold player needs replacing) and absorbed into running costs. We undoubtedly had more clout in the January window as a result of both those ‘windfalls’ than if we’d just had a cup run.
I maintain that it was the cup matches that were crucial.

Norburn was sold on 9th August, with three weeks of the summer transfer window remaining. I am pretty sure we brought in several players in those three weeks.

If additional funds are received in August, that money is not necessarily sitting there waiting to be spent five months later, for a variety of reasons.

I maintain that it was the cup matches that were crucial.

Norburn was sold on 9th August, with three weeks of the summer transfer window remaining. I am pretty sure we brought in several players in those three weeks.

If additional funds are received in August, that money is not necessarily sitting there waiting to be spent five months later, for a variety of reasons.
Nobody disputes the importance of the money from the cup run.

Norburn was indeed sold on August 9.…which happened to be the last day of the transfer window that summer. We did not sign anyone that day. His sale left us a key player short.

And of course that money doesn’t just physically sit idly for months waiting to be spent. It nevertheless contributed to our spending power when the window reopened the following January.

Player
Manager
John King
And of course that money doesn’t just physically sit idly for months waiting to be spent. It nevertheless contributed to our spending power when the window reopened the following January.
Not necessarily, as Mart suggested above.

The money does not contribute to our spending power the following January if it is allocated to areas where spending had not already been budgeted (eg. repayment of debt).

The only people that know the truth of the situation are Palios and the club accountant, so conjecture is pointless ultimately. But I have not changed my opinion.

Player
Manager
John King
Norburn was indeed sold on August 9.…which happened to be the last day of the transfer window that summer. We did not sign anyone that day. His sale left us a key player short.
We were still able to sign loan players after that date and I am pretty sure we did (McCullough and Mottley-Henry for example).

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree in general. However, Cogley was signed before the youth policy was fully implemented, and selling him now for a nominal fee would weaken us rather than strengthen us as a club, which seems pointless.

Yes I agree. If we’re serious about promotion then selling our top assist maker now, even for a good offer, doesn’t make sense.

If we don’t go up and he leaves on a free then so be it. At least we’d have time in the summer to bring in a replacement but what message would it give to Hemmings etc if we let him go now.

I guess the only risk is if JDC himself wants to go now and could down tools if he didn’t get a move he wanted. However he doesn’t come across as that sort of character so I’m sure he’ll be fine if we turn down any offers, knowing he’ll be in a good position in the summer

Er, I’m posting facts, not conjecture. Read and understand the financials if you want more.

And, again, nobody disputes the importance of the cup run so no need to get so defensive about it.

McCullough, Akammadu and Mottley-Henry were the subsequent August loan signings. Perkins was Norburn’s eventual replacement in the engine room.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting the likes of Stockport and gillingham already announcing signing players ahead of 1st Jan. Stockport have again got their cheque book out by signing Olaoafe from Millwall who has scored regularly at this level for sutton

Player
Manager
John King
Er, I’m posting facts, not conjecture. Read and understand the financials if you want more.
I can understand financials perfectly well. The details of our precise cash flow movements in the period August 2018 to December 2018 are not in the public domain, so only club officials and the auditor know exactly what happened in that period. Everything else is conjecture,