• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jan window

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure it would make sense to sell Cogley now. Any fee we receive will be derisory and probably won't be sufficient to strengthen the squad elsewhere. The best time to sell was arguably last summer, if we were prepared to let him go.

It has been suggested elsewhere that players have to leave to make way for new arrivals. I think we would be happy to let Nolan, Byrne and possibly Jameson go, but whether we would have any takers is another matter. We probably would for Byrne.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I am not sure it would make sense to sell Cogley now. Any fee we receive will be derisory and probably won't be sufficient to strengthen the squad elsewhere. The best time to sell was arguably last summer, if we were prepared to let him go.

It has been suggested elsewhere that players have to leave to make way for new arrivals. I think we would be happy to let Nolan, Byrne and possibly Jameson go, but whether we would have any takers is another matter. We probably would for Byrne.
Fairly sure Aberdeen have increased their offer for Cogley and I wudnt be surprised if he left. Glatzel and Robinson loans will be up so with only 1 loan player left we have plenty of scope to bring in loans

Player
Manager
John King
I think Glatzel was on a pay as you play type deal, so I am not sure he has cost us anything. Robinson leaving would free up a bit of money.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It would be a big loss losing Cogley for his defending, pace, crossing and assists. Hopefully, we can hang on to him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Fairly sure Aberdeen have increased their offer for Cogley and I wudnt be surprised if he left. Glatzel and Robinson loans will be up so with only 1 loan player left we have plenty of scope to bring in loans
All the loan players have been signed for the whole season, although presumably there will be recall and release clauses in January.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I can’t remember who said it but on Boxing Day sitting in the kop I noticed cogley giving a good set of applause and for a split second I wondered if he knew it was his last game. As Ian says he’ll be a big loss but not much we can do about it

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I'm hoping, that we do a bit of good business, for a change, if he does go!
If that is the case, with a replacement already in line, we might have enough to strengthen elsewhere. We do need it!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm hoping, that we do a bit of good business, for a change, if he does go!
If that is the case, with a replacement already in line, we might have enough to strengthen elsewhere. We do need it!
Aberdeen lost their 4th game in a row last night and in their managers words, were abysmal. Whether that might put Cogley off or hasten his move up there remains to be seen

Player
Manager
John King
We would be crazy to let Cogley go in January.

Arguably our most creative player - just consider his assists in the last four days - and we could not replace his quality with the modest fee we would receive.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

Arguably our most creative player - just consider his assists in the last four days - and we could not replace his quality with the modest fee we would receive.
I think you are right, RLC. He is the player we would most miss if he left. The money we got in January would not fund a decent striker and his replacement. I'd rather we shipped out a few of the half dozen surplus squad members to help fund any signings.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are now exactly half way through the season and find ourselves seven places (but only three points) off a play-off place. In recent years, we have been much stronger in the second half of the season. Without doing the research, I think this has been the case since we dropped into the National League. This is almost certainly due to the business done in January, so next month's activity will be crucial to our prospects. No doubt Micky and the recruitment team will have their shopping list. The question is how many and who can we afford. I fear money will be tight and Mark will be unwilling to spend money he doesn't have on gambling our way to promotion. He is investing a lot in making the club self-sufficient. This season may well end up as being one of consolidation. Let's not be too hard on Micky if he doesn't pull off another miracle next May.

Player
Manager

I wish the board would look at it that way!

Afaik the speculation around Cogley seems to have come only from a Scottish newspaper in October saying Aberdeen were still interested in him. Is there anything more to it?

Unless we received an offer we can’t refuse in January I don’t see us selling him. I also question whether the player himself would want to move right now, given he’ll probably have plenty more options in the summer when he’s a free agent.

It’d be nice to think we could extend his contract in January, although that’s maybe too optimistic, even if there was a release clause if we don’t get promoted.

Player
Manager
We are now exactly half way through the season and find ourselves seven places (but only three points) off a play-off place. In recent years, we have been much stronger in the second half of the season. Without doing the research, I think this has been the case since we dropped into the National League. This is almost certainly due to the business done in January, so next month's activity will be crucial to our prospects. No doubt Micky and the recruitment team will have their shopping list. The question is how many and who can we afford. I fear money will be tight and Mark will be unwilling to spend money he doesn't have on gambling our way to promotion. He is investing a lot in making the club self-sufficient. This season may well end up as being one of consolidation. Let's not be too hard on Micky if he doesn't pull off another miracle next May.
Spot on. But covid scuppered this plan, and January signings haven't been that headline dominating in the last couple of seasons.
The club is self sufficient bar the debt!
There is no money for transfers.
If we do have some money for January, only getting players off the wage bill will make it happen.

Player
Manager
John King
They never have before!
Money talks, especially to our board!
Not true.

As an obvious example, we had the option of selling Norwood in January 2019 rather than lose him for nothing the following summer. Palios refused to sell and his goals ultimately fired us to promotion.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Palios said there is money available, probably not a lot mind you, but don't forget we missed out on some front men so there must be funds available.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We are now exactly half way through the season and find ourselves seven places (but only three points) off a play-off place. In recent years, we have been much stronger in the second half of the season.
Funny you mention that @bring back the cowshed! as I heard on the radio the other day Tranmere always seem to fair better in the second half of a season under MM. I'm assuming that's true otherwise it would not have been mentioned but certainly some food for thought.