• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Forest Green v Rovers

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I am even more angry with the inter
I really wouldn’t at all be surprised if we see ourselves out of the playoffs next week. I can’t see us winning and Exeter have not lost in five and have won their last two. I have zero confidence in this team at the moment.
We only need a draw.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m trying to be positive as otherwise it gets too depressing.

Assuming we can scrape a point at home to a carefree Colchester, the playoffs would be against teams like Exeter, Newport, FGR and Morecambe, who all know how to get results. None of them will fear us on present form. It’s months since we played well against a top seven side.

So, it comes down to being lucky in all three playoff matches (very unlikely), playing an even more dispirited Bolton in the semis (possible) or finding some form.

We may turn things around and find the magic formula, but I think our only real hope is the return of James Vaughan. If he can get match fit and stay free of injury, we might stand a chance.

Can anyone else see a way back to League One?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The only way I can see us going up is if Hill was to go before the last game but as that won't happen I can't see us beating any of the teams we are likely to play if we make it

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think we can expect a semi-fit James Vaughan to instantly improve things, as our problems run much deeper than just his absence. As Mart says, I can't see how there will be an improvement unless there is a fundamental change in approach and some fresh ideas, but that is unlikely under the current manager.

To be honest, I am past the point where I am too bothered about the play offs. I am more concerned that there has to be a significant improvement next season, as the last couple of months have been alarming.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
At this rate our only hope in the play offs would be to keep it tight defensively and maybe score a set piece or win on penalties. Same goes for the final. It’s unlikely but not out of the question.

Very honest post match interview from Clarke who admitted some strong words in the dressing room were had and it is no place for shrinking violets.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just as annoying today was FGRs dreadful form. They had won 1 in their last 10 and sacked their manager half way thru that run. They lost at home to barrow last Tuesday 2-0 and didn’t score in the 3 games before that

ADD

Player
Norwood
"Disappointed with the second half display to a certain degree"" so said Hill at 28 seconds in his post match interview. Says it all.
Then waffling on about learning more about the players. Comes across as he is almost happy about the shambles over which he is presiding as he is asked the most inane questions known to man.
Contrast his demeanour with Jackson who was a disaster but you looked at him as results went to pot as he was interviewed - rabbit in the headlights as he realised he wasn't cut out for the role and didn't have the answers but he clearly cared and desperately wanted to turn things around.
Needs to go come what may.
Lack of season ticket sales early doors will hopefully persuade MP to rethink - he is a savvy businessman after all - and if not Santini Group need to have a word - they surely cannot find this acceptable in any shape or form.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting that in the interview Hill was upset with the defending for both goals, which was indeed poor. However, there will always be individual defensive lapses in a game, and the bigger concern for me is that we dominated the ball in the first half but again did nothing with it.

If we score the first goal it is a different game, and the defensive lapses probably don't happen. There is too much pressure on the back four to keep clean sheets at the moment, and that is not possible in every match.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
the bigger concern for me is that we dominated the ball in the first half but again did nothing with it.
I just don't understand the tactic. Passing it around from defence to mdifield. Just get the bloody ball forward. There are times when we are passing back to the keeper or defence from the half way line. Why the reluctance to go forward? Surely KH was not playing for a point?

Player
aldo
a manager in the making and not bull sh$ting around straight talking no messing about we don't get that much at this club good on him

Player
aldo
he says in the interview if we had cut the mistakes out we could have got a point also to play 2 defensive midfielders should tell you all we need to know, remember the point at Grimsby was a good 1 according to KH

Player
Manager
John King
I just don't understand the tactic. Passing it around from defence to mdifield. Just get the bloody ball forward. There are times when we are passing back to the keeper or defence from the half way line. Why the reluctance to go forward? Surely KH was not playing for a point?
I think, since the absence of Vaughan in particular, Hill has been reluctant to commit players ahead of the ball or give them much individual freedom. I think that is why CBT rarely features, as he can't fit as rigidly into a possession based system. It was noticeable today that the full backs hardly ever overlapped.

I think he has been too cautious and rigid in his approach, with too much emphasis on possession for its own sake.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think, since the absence of Vaughan in particular, Hill has been reluctant to commit players ahead of the ball or give them much individual freedom. I think that is why CBT rarely features, as he can't fit as rigidly into a possession based system. It was noticeable today that the full backs hardly ever overlapped.

I think he has been too cautious and rigid in his approach, with too much emphasis on possession for its own sake.
Do you think that very tactic has simply knocked the confidence out of the team? If the manager doesn’t have confidence any more in rock and roll football, it’s not surprising the players don’t.

drwhoman

Stating the obvious perhaps but Rovers were set up for a draw today and the strategy failed. Just as well the SWA was not allowed to attend or Hill would have got an earful! The Manager clearly likes to be in total control and does not entirely trust his players. If he is there next season then it will be more of the same sadly.

Player
Ian Goodison
I have no confidence in this team at all yoi need to be in form playing well and winning games when you enter into the play offs.

We are literally going to limp over the line or miss out completely.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Only crumb of comfort is that when Tranmere beat FGR in the playoffs on the way to promotion, they had lost to them a few weeks earlier in a league game. This is one time I'd like history to repeat itself.

Would it be better For Tranmere to meet Morecambe in the semi-final rather than Newport? mind you, looking at the table, Salford could creep in to the playoffs, as could Exeter...And the results would have to have FGR winning and Tranmere drawing for them to meet Morecambe.

Is it likely Vaughan will be back for the playoffs? I've not heard anything about his 'other' injury sustained in his cameo appearance a few games back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Even if Vaughan is back.either next week or if we make the play offs he won't be anywhere near full fitness

The whole approach since Vaughan got injured has been far too negative and defensive and shows the type of manager Hill is, exciting football we were promised which it has not been.

If as seems likely we fail to go up we will have missed a big opportunity and that ultimately is down to the manager.

Hopefully Mark will realise that Hill is not upto the job and gets rid at the end of the season. If so it will be an attractive job as with so few players under contract its almost a blank canvas

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don’t want to play Newport as it’ll mean no fans. Don’t want FGR either so for me it would be Morecambe of Bolton if the latter implode and don’t go up automatically. Whoever we play will be difficult as they will have all seen how we’ve been playing in recent weeks.

Some hope is that even if we limp over the line next week and just about stay in the play offs, I’d be telling the players let’s wipe the slate clean from the last couple of months and draw a line in the sand. the play offs is a one off cup competition and previous form can go out of the window and we start afresh in that first leg

Player
Manager
John King
Sparky's point about treating the play offs as a one-off competition and a break from the recent past is a reasonable one. However, for that to be possible the players would have to be given more freedom to express themselves by the manager and there would have to be a different mindset. If the current tactics are simply rolled over to the play offs, they will feel as constrained as they have in the last ten weeks.

As strange as it may sound, if we did somehow scrape through the play offs, I would still be concerned about next season based on recent form and performances.