• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Forest Green v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
CBT showing what he’s capable of. A real shame he’s not been starting games when we’ve been so weak in the final third these last few weeks

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just doesn't feel like we're going to score here.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It must be the camera angle making us look poor

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We can’t even beat 10 men!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Game over. In all honesty, we have not been good enough for weeks now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Game over. If u don’t score then u need to be tight at the back and a mix up between Clarke and Murphy sees FGR score a penalty

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thank God Twitter is off. 2-0

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
With Salford losing we are well and truly limping into the play offs

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Once again more possession than the opposition at 60% but Hill for weeks now has failed to come up with a formula to cope with Vaughan. He’s just not been good enough as a coach or manager to deal with missing a key but single player

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great strike from Morris makes it 2-1 but too little too late

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Exeter’s late win at Bolton means they are 3 points off us with a much better goal difference

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
So instead of looking towards the final game for the autos, we are now looking at staying in the playoffs. Pathetic performance.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A hugely disappointing performance given the significance of the game, but hardly a surprise as it was in keeping with the majority of displays in the last two months.

In the first half we had a lot of possession in the middle third of the pitch, but did nothing with it, with far too many sideways and backward passes, and a lack of adventure in the final third of the pitch. It was at least a solid display defensively, but the bizarre tactical decision by Hill after half time to move O'Connor from right back to midfield and replace him with Kahn left us exposed and disorganised down that side of the pitch, and that is where Forest Green's opening goal came from.

There were some other questionable decisions by the manager. Jolley has been 'protected' since he arrived, yet Hill saw fit to throw him up front in the most pressurised game of the season and he struggled; CBT did ok when he came on but has not featured for weeks, and could surely have contributed to our creativity in recent matches.

Aside from Morris's consolation, our only shot on target was from thirty yards from Manny Monthe, which says everything about our creativity. There is simply no pattern of play whereby we are actually going to get behind the opposition back four and create chances, and that has been the case for many weeks now. It is an issue that has to be addressed.

We are still not guaranteed a play off position because of Exeter's late winner at Bolton, and a point next week is not a given considering the standard of our performances. However, even if we do make the top seven I struggle to see how we will be promoted in our current state, and I have real concerns if this form is allowed to drift into next season, whatever the chairman may say.

Last edited:

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Well if that happens RLC we know at whose door the responsibility lies...but as we've all been told "it's all about statistics" and " the long term perspectives". But another glass of red can hide the reality!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes it was very much the same old story of recent weeks, even months since Vaughan was injured. As I said previously at Bradford we got a very lucky win and did well in one half v barrow to just about get a 1-0 win. Once again today we’ve been found out and given an opposition keeper hardly anything to do.
RLC makes a good point about OConnor. Call me old fashioned but I never like tampering with a back 4 during a match unless you have to. Lewis was injured so bring on a midfielder in his place instead of shuffling a few things around and upsetting the back 4. Khan was at fault for the first goal - end of story. Without that we get a 1-1 draw so Keith must shoulder the blame. a great goal from Morris can’t hide the fact that once again we’ve hardly created anything. The pressure is on next week to get a ‘positive point’ v Colchester who we couldn’t beat in the reverse fixture and who beat Salford today

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Morris started the games against Southend, Sunderland, Exeter,Colchester,Cheltenham, Salford,Bradford, Barrow and FGR through March and April (and today) so I don't think Hill doesn't rate him. .

I agree that the team looks toothless at present despite the quality of a lot of the players). I also agree that there is now a big risk of not even making the playoffs should Exeter win and Tranmere lose next week, which given the inability to score more than one goal in a game at present is a distinct possibility, especially with the likelihood of at least one defensive mix-up.

I am at a loss to understand why the players are not having many shots on goal. Clarke, before this game, was on 40 attempts so far just behind Feeney and Lewis. Vaughan way out on his own. I think Mark should also take in those stats when considering the Manager performance. The aim is to score goals and concede as few as possible, with the former greater than the latter! All the flowery build up towards the final third is of no use if there is no end product.

There were more attempts on goal in games managed by Dawes and Parkinson. That's another statistic for Mark ;0)