• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Forest Green v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Even if Vaughan is back.either next week or if we make the play offs he won't be anywhere near full fitness

The whole approach since Vaughan got injured has been far too negative and defensive and shows the type of manager Hill is, exciting football we were promised which it has not been.

If as seems likely we fail to go up we will have missed a big opportunity and that ultimately is down to the manager.

Hopefully Mark will realise that Hill is not upto the job and gets rid at the end of the season. If so it will be an attractive job as with so few players under contract its almost a blank canvas
I would say we were actually pretty negative under Hill in November / December as well. Although we won his first three games in charge against Carlisle, Brackley and Oldham one nil, with confidence carrying over from the Dawes caretaker period, we created very little in those matches and the emphasis was on ball retention and shape. So I think the signs were there very early on.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If anybody has watched the interview with Peter Clarke it's a bit worrying that it seems that 1 or 2 players are not pulling their weight and words were had after the game.

It seems an open and honest interview unlike the rubbish we get from the manager

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Although the manager plays a big part as we’ve discussed, the players also have a part to play and there isn’t enough passion out there for my liking. Shame the rant didn’t come five or ten games ago.

Player
Manager
John King
If the players are confused about their roles and what the manager is actually trying to achieve, it is difficult for them to express themselves, which can be interpreted as a lack of passion.

It is the manager's role to create a framework where the players can express themselves and perform to the best of their ability. Nobody questioned the spirit of the players under Mellon because there was a clear tactical direction, and I doubt this random group of players are any less professional than the random group that played under Mellon.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If anybody has watched the interview with Peter Clarke it's a bit worrying that it seems that 1 or 2 players are not pulling their weight and words were had after the game.

It seems an open and honest interview unlike the rubbish we get from the manager
Yes I thought that. I’m guessing the shrinking violets he referred to that need to learn were possibly the likes of Khan and MacDonald

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Yes I thought that. I’m guessing the shrinking violets he referred to that need to learn were possibly the likes of Khan and MacDonald
I generally agree, though his words would have carried more weight if they'd come with some acceptance of his own part in our downfall, where wrong decisions led to the penalty.

While Macdonald had a quieter game than in recent weeks and wasn't overlapping much, which may have been due to management instructions, don't recall him pulling out of any challenges or going missing. Khan was at fault for the first goal, but no longer on the pitch when the penalty was conceded.

On one of the other forums, there is discussion of the suppression of awkward questions to the manager. One of the questioners is a club employee, so understandable that he serves up easy questions, but it would be better doing away with the questions if they're(non-staff journalists) not allowed to query decisions Keith makes. I don't think soft-soaping does the manager any favours either.

Player
Manager
John King
The other questioner is Derek Jones of BBC Merseyside. He is a good commentator but has never been known as a tough interviewer. However, he does seem particularly reluctant to ask Hill anything challenging, perhaps because the manager is so tetchy when asked searching questions.

Although Clarke's comments are refreshing, I personally think junior players like MacDonald and O'Connor are the least of our problems at the moment. The bigger question to me is why Clarke felt the need to come out and make those statements publicly, when in a properly functioning dressing room any issues could surely be resolved privately.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Derek comes across a nice chap but is never the type to ask anything remotely challenging. It is a bit ridiculous that none of Keith’s decisions are even respectfully questioned by the post match interviewers and it’s the same old rubbish “what’s your reaction to the game” and how “it’s good we have another opportunity coming up for 3 points”

Yawn...

Player
Manager
John King
If you listen to interviews from local broadcasters at other clubs, they are far more robust.

An obvious question yesterday would have been, 'Why did our first shot on target come from a centre half in the 77th minute, in a game we had to win ?'.

Most of Derek's questions are really just leading statements that allow Hill to get his excuses in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Most of Derek's questions are really just leading statements that allow Hill to get his excuses in.
Yes, spot on, it's quite infuriating.
Dereks' first question to KH after the FGR defeat.

"You couldn't quite take the opportunity today, but there is still that opportunity next week?"

Come on.. he must love the press conferences where he gets the chance to ramble on without anyone asking him tricky questions. Same old tripe every week, I don't know why I listen to it.

Player
aldo
but according to the owners its Ifollew that is the problem we are playing good football ?????????????????

Player
aldo
as for the questions in the Interviews it is more challenging talking to my 9 year old little girl

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
but according to the owners its Ifollew that is the problem we are playing good football ?????????????????
They don’t honestly believe that though. If they think we’ll accept having one shot on target after 70 minutes is good football.. it’s a bit of an insult really.

Player
aldo
you said it, I am just finding stuff really hard to handle at the moment, just can't wait to get back to work after 8 months off not doing it and the last two watching dross and not enjoying things then we get interviews where the Manager is happy taking points at the bottom of the LG club enough is enough

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
May I introduce myself, my name is Keith and have just moved into Prenton Park area of scouseland. I am a very good coach and my CV is decent. I like being in front of the camera and my interviews are exactly what is expected of me. My job is to protect my tactics, my job and keeping the board happy.

It is an insult, if the club thinks that sound bites and spin are considered appropriate for the supporters belief, what has happened to integrity and transparency?
I have stopped watching the videos, cos the views expressed are ridiculous.

Are we not educated and know the difference between playing good football and the rubbish that we have been watching since Wembley?

ADD

Player
Norwood
There are clearly some major issues in that dressing room. Peter Clarke is not afraid to say so, but I was impressed by the calm and positive way he let us know. I would not be surprised to see him in management within five years - unless he’s still playing!
Struck me as if he had been sent out with the aim of "blaming" one or two fringe/ young players whilst distracting from the manager's ineptness of strategy and substitutions...