• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dawes sacked

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It matters because your use of the word “actually” confers a degree of credibility on your assertion that turns out to be unwarranted, seeing as you now admit it was just a rumour.

Glad that’s cleared up..
It was not a conscious use of the word - certainly not an 'assertion' - and I am sure readers are aware of the context of posts on a football forum, without your intervention.

It was not a conscious use of the word - certainly not an 'assertion' - and I am sure readers are aware of the context of posts on a football forum, without your intervention.
Well, for those of us who haven’t yet racked up almost 14,000 posts on an internet forum, it might be useful to know that whenever you say ‘actually’ you probably just mean ‘rumoured’. Obviously makes no difference to you, which is fine, but two different things to many less prolific posters.

No doubt you’ll again want the last word.. ;)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It seems Paul Hurst may be on his way out of Grimsby.

He is definitely somebody I would take. The kind of manager who could stabilise us and was actually our first choice when we appointed Hill.
He was close to being appointed before Hill but it broke down due to him not being able to bring in his entire coaching staff.
I'm sure this will be queried or doubted by some but the information came from a member of our coaching team at that time.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He was close to being appointed before Hill but it broke down due to him not being able to bring in his entire coaching staff.
I'm sure this will be queried or doubted by some but the information came from a member of our coaching team at that time.
I recall hearing similar at the time. Don't think Palios would even entertain taking on his assistant Chris Doig at that time, but hadn't realised Hurst wanted all his coaching team.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve always liked hurst. He’s often spoken well of the Tranmere fans in the past and has had success. Although he might soon be sacked you’ll never find a manager with a 100% success rate so I think he’d be a decent fit.
Of course the longer we leave it the more chance less will be interested as no one wants a potential relegation on their CV.

I watched mickys Oldham interview earlier. Felt a bit strange but will be interesting how he gets on as he’s taken over a team in half decent form

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Well, for those of us who haven’t yet racked up almost 14,000 posts on an internet forum, it might be useful to know that whenever you say ‘actually’ you probably just mean ‘rumoured’. Obviously makes no difference to you, which is fine, but two different things to many less prolific posters.

No doubt you’ll again want the last word.. ;)

I notice several other posters have corroborated my original comment.

Not sure of the relevance of the number of posts I have made in the last decade and a half.

Last edited:
Your understanding of “corroborated” is clearly as wide of the mark as that of “actually”.

And you’d have to be particularly obtuse to plead confusion about anything in #122.

Anyway, shan‘t waste anyone’s time attempting to flag the difference between “interim“ and “caretaker“. And who needs an update from the chairman anyway when someone could presumably just trot out a bit of alleged hearsay from a member of the coaching team?! ;)

Player
Manager
John King
Your understanding of “corroborated” is clearly as wide of the mark as that of “actually”.

And you’d have to be particularly obtuse to plead confusion about anything in #122.

Anyway, shan‘t waste anyone’s time attempting to flag the difference between “interim“ and “caretaker“. And who needs an update from the chairman anyway when someone could presumably just trot out a bit of alleged hearsay from a member of the coaching team?! ;)
You might want to wind it in for one night.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Strong rumours the Gateshead manager Mike Williamson has accepted the MK Dons job. A shame if true as could have been a good option for us

Player
Manager
John King
Strong rumours the Gateshead manager Mike Williamson has accepted the MK Dons job. A shame if true as could have been a good option for us
There have been a few missed opportunities including Darryl Clarke and now Williamson.

It makes you wonder whether we are seriously looking at anybody, or are simply hoping there is a significant upturn under Adkins and he is happy to stay in the medium term.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Think the highlighted is the reality.
There have been a few missed opportunities including Darryl Clarke and now Williamson.

It makes you wonder whether we are seriously looking at anybody, or are simply hoping there is a significant upturn under Adkins and he is happy to stay in the medium term.
I think it's the classic case of the cost of new management is beyond our means, and the knowledge of the restrictions in doing the job. Hope I'm wrong!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Think the highlighted is the reality.
Yes I suspect you are right. And it’ll carry on like that unless results take a real turn for the worse, however there is a risk we’ll miss out on some talent

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I think we are shopping in the bargain basement.
Aldi instead of Waitrose!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Colchester sack their manager Ben Garner after 4 successive defeats. We’re definitely in the sacking season

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Despite 3 wins in a row and a place in the play offs all is not well at Accrington with the chairman putting the club up for sale and John Coleman and his assistant publicly unhappy.

I wouldn’t say no if he became available