• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dawes sacked

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If an external appointment is made, I actually think Palios will bring in somebody more substantial this time. He will know that losing our league status again would be catastrophic, not least in terms of the attractiveness of the club to potential new owners.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree that Adkins will be in charge for a while longer yet. Unless results continue to be poor.

Darryl Clarke could be a good option. Still young ish but has over 500 games in management and 3 promotions. Apparently plays attacking football but he’s being linked with Oldham.
Although some rumours the latics want a young up and coming coach and Clint Hill who had a spell there has been mentioned .

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If it is Clarke they need to move fast messing around when a good coach is out of work is mental an if he wants his own staff then mp needs to bite the bullet and let him do it

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
It would be nice if we had a manager who stays a few years and not changing all the time

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It would be nice if we had a manager who stays a few years and not changing all the time
The only reason we have such a high turnover of managers in recent years is they aren’t good enough. If they succeed , they stay. I am amazed that a football man like MP has such a poor record of manager recruitment. Then, when he gets a good manager like Micky, he fails to back him (at least second time around).

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Darryl Clarke won’t be coming to PP anytime soon as he’s appointed manager of Cheltenham

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Our we actually actively looking for a new manager or leaving Adkins in charge for now in the hope he can get us to a position of safety

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Our we actually actively looking for a new manager or leaving Adkins in charge for now in the hope he can get us to a position of safety
I suspect Palios is keeping an eye on who is available but is in no rush if results improve and Nigel is enjoying it.

A big week coming up for us

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Darryl Clarke won’t be coming to PP anytime soon as he’s appointed manager of Cheltenham
A little surprised at that move by Darryl Clarke, would have thought he could have found a less challenging return. He must be keen to get back into management.

Player
Goodison
Would be nice if Palios could provide an update, even it is simply to say they are still looking at options. It can’t help the players not knowing if Adkins is potentially here till the end of the season or not.

I’d go for Warnock at this point…!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Would be nice if Palios could provide an update, even it is simply to say they are still looking at options. It can’t help the players not knowing if Adkins is potentially here till the end of the season or not.

I’d go for Warnock at this point…!
Yes an update would be nice but unlikely sadly

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Who in their right mind would want this job? We are on a crash course and I don't think the players have the stomach for a fight either. Let's see what Tues game brings.

Afaik at no point since sacking Dawes has the club or chairman (or technical director) given any indication at all that we’re actively searching for a new manager. Complete silence is very unusual, and one can only speculate why.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Who in their right mind would want this job? We are on a crash course and I don't think the players have the stomach for a fight either. Let's see what Tues game brings.
If the money was good expect we’d get a decent number of applications. Even with what Rovers can afford, there will be enough interest. Another stumbling block will be the new manager bring their own support team as often mentioned. Big decisions for the Palioi as if we drop out of the FL, the valuation from a buyers viewpoint dips significantly

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Here’s my take. The managers who have demonstrably failed have been sacked. For Hill and Mellon, I think it was mainly a breakdown in their relationship with the owners. Hill got us to the playoffs and to Wembley, but continually whinged and his sacking was expected if rather undeserved on results. Mellon got increasingly frustrated and irritated as last season wore on. He didn’t get the investment in strikers he needed, as well as having his budget “wasted” on development players. The fact he was visibly sacked and not allowed to leave early by mutual consent says it all.

With Adkins it’s a bit different. I think he and Palios are friends and there’s a degree of trust. They are seeing how Nigel gets on before any decision is made. Hence no announcement about recruiting a manager and why Nigel calls himself manager not caretaker. At worst, it’s buying a little time, which with 36 games to go we still have.