• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dawes sacked

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The Turnbull issue is quite a big one. He played left back so we could field three centre halves. Last year was held back by the fact Hemmings led the line and not playing off someone filling that lead role. Hemmings could and did defend against a big man at defensive corners.
I'd guess all teams in this division have at least one big striker and two centre halves, Accy had a 6'5" midfielder as well for a while anyway! Tomorrow we will see at least Cook and two centre halves.
Our best eleven could easily have no defenders for corners bar Davies and Yarney. Jenno can do a bit the rest are next to useless. So we may have to play Walker or McAlear. If Hockenhull isn't even on the bench you will know how big that failure is.
Oh for Norris

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The Turnbull issue is quite a big one. He played left back so we could field three centre halves. Last year was held back by the fact Hemmings led the line and not playing off someone filling that lead role. Hemmings could and did defend against a big man at defensive corners.
I'd guess all teams in this division have at least one big striker and two centre halves, Accy had a 6'5" midfielder as well for a while anyway! Tomorrow we will see at least Cook and two centre halves.
Our best eleven could easily have no defenders for corners bar Davies and Yarney. Jenno can do a bit the rest are next to useless. So we may have to play Walker or McAlear. If Hockenhull isn't even on the bench you will know how big that failure is.
Oh for Norris
PS leave two of the diddymen up wide apart might even get four defenders held back, through fear of their pace?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Boz says I think we’ll always have plenty of interest in the managers job. We’re a big club at this level and have a decent stadium and following, plus excellent training facilities.

On the flip side and at this level, you do wonder whether some managers are put off by the expectations of the fans. We can be a very vocal bunch if things go against us although most teams are the same in social media times.

Another issue is our current position. When Micky went we were much more attractive compared to now as it’s very possible any manager coming in might have a relegation on their CV next season…so it could put them off whilst we’re down there.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As Boz says I think we’ll always have plenty of interest in the managers job. We’re a big club at this level and have a decent stadium and following, plus excellent training facilities.

On the flip side and at this level, you do wonder whether some managers are put off by the expectations of the fans. We can be a very vocal bunch if things go against us although most teams are the same in social media times.

Another issue is our current position. When Micky went we were much more attractive compared to now as it’s very possible any manager coming in might have a relegation on their CV next season…so it could put them off whilst we’re down there.
I think the degree of autonomy given to the manager will also be a key consideration.

I am still sure that a number of managers have been dissuaded from the taking the job - or have been refused the job - due to MP's level of involvement in the football operation, Barry Murphy and Paul Hurst apparently being a couple of examples.

No decent manager will come here if they have one hand tied behind their back, because any failure will be owned by them, not the chairman.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Interesting points RLC. As Sparky says, we are a good sized club at this level so it makes you think as to why we've had such a poor record with managers. I wonder what MP is thinking now as this next appointment could hinge on our league status.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think the degree of autonomy given to the manager will also be a key consideration.

I am still sure that a number of managers have been dissuaded from the taking the job - or have been refused the job - due to MP's level of involvement in the football operation, Barry Murphy and Paul Hurst apparently being a couple of examples.

No decent manager will come here if they have one hand tied behind their back, because any failure will be owned by them, not the chairman.
Yes I’ve said before that Marks experience both as a pro footballer and FA chairman likely means he thinks he often knows best and seems the type who would tell the manager!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I believe that what is really needed now because of these circumstances we find ourselves in, is a first class trainer/ coach rather than the old type manager!
However, I do believe that since MM 's first spell, that is what we have had.
The term manager without having contract decisions is a coach! Just a coach, as the job would be described in Europe.
And I don't believe that Nigel has any significant input either!
So, this person must be a qualified coach to probably level four.
This person must expect a salary as the description denotes.
If it's not the temporary incumbent, this will impact candidates who will be suitable.
This happened, when Ian Dawes was firstly interim, then in the summer given the manager/coach position.
Not because he came cheap (it is another cheap option) but likely, the only suitable (not in terms of his skills) candidate.
And I will also admit, that it is likely, what we can afford, and will be more costly in the long term in many ways especially if we get relegated.
To afford a person required, will probably break the budget and impact on January signings, which unless that doesn't happen. Will again cost us dearly. And there is in .h mind, more limits to what a candidate has to accept, having to work with present football staff and so on.
It doesn't sound good.
These musings, are because of the decisions made at board level. (Well, the owners!)

Hate, Hate, hate, this position we find ourselves!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
MK Dons appear close to sacking Graham Alexander who was once linked with us. 7 league games without a win and their fans clearly aren’t happy. Ironically he got manager of the month earlier in the season. Reminds me a bit of the Brabin situation
1696939515211.png

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What would be the further action?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I guess Alexander may come under the Palios ‘manager merry go round’ as he’s now has a few clubs. Will be interesting if we go back to that sort of appointment

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What would be the further action?
Can only assume they are talking about boycotting games which seems a bit extreme as they then ask people to support the players

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
League 2 manager of the month for August Graham Alexander is sacked by MK Dons.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It seems Paul Hurst may be on his way out of Grimsby.

He is definitely somebody I would take. The kind of manager who could stabilise us and was actually our first choice when we appointed Hill.

Player
Goodison
I don’t think any of these names will come unless Adkins goes, don’t think they’d be daft enough to take the job with him waiting in the wings. Could be wrong however!

A rumour, but not necessarily baseless.

And no it does not matter, unless you think suggesting Palios rates Paul Hurst is traducing him.
It matters because your use of the word “actually” confers a degree of credibility on your assertion that turns out to be unwarranted, seeing as you now admit it was just a rumour.

Glad that’s cleared up..