• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dawes sacked

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Adkins is interim so no other appointment likely in the short term. He is also vastly more qualified than anyone we are likely to attract and they would be restricted by the same poor squad.
I reckon you could make available Hockenhull, All fullbacks bar two whoever deemed the least worst not including LOC, then Saunders, Walker, Lewis, McAlear, Merrie.
Probably about ten when you include ones I forgot, not all are totally without use, but if you offload some you can recruit one or two.
The last three windows have seen Hendry, Turnbull, Jenno and the home grown Taylor give a return.
Beginning to worry about Adkins' sanity after his Hendry comments, nothing happened in the first 15 mins to change known reality. We bossed the game especially down the right until Wood fell asleep, no CM issues.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Despite 3 wins in a row and a place in the play offs all is not well at Accrington with the chairman putting the club up for sale and John Coleman and his assistant publicly unhappy.

I wouldn’t say no if he became available
Just been reading Holt’s Twitter spat. Entertaining from the outside, but looks quite undignified, the silence of the Palioi almost feels preferable in comparison.
Coleman’s record apart from at Accrington has been patchy. Not sure he’d be a good fit for Rovers.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes Boz May be right about coleman. Might be one of those who only ever does well at one club and not much elsewhere.
As Ian says though I’d take anyone now. Decent managers like Clarke and Williamson have been snapped up with so a bit like transfers windows of the past, will we be left with what no one else wants!!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is difficult to know whether Coleman could be a success here. He struggled at Rochdale, but still has far better credentials than several of the non-entities we have appointed in recent years.

However, I would imagine it is an academic debate. He would demand his own assistant and coaching staff and control of the football operation, so Palios almost certainly would not appoint him.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
It is difficult to know whether Coleman could be a success here. He struggled at Rochdale, but still has far better credentials than several of the non-entities we have appointed in recent years.

However, I would imagine it is an academic debate. He would demand his own assistant and coaching staff and control of the football operation, so Palios almost certainly would not appoint him.
Coleman would be behind the Adkins curve, starting from scratch and no real prospects of signing anyone until Jan. If we spent a small fortune replacing backroom staff he would have precious little to spend. Adkins is far better qualified and doesn't represent a one trick pony with a dodgy background. He has a habit of getting lots of scousers in which will bizarrely offend some, who were against Vaughan, Clarke and Spearing not that quality is available.
Patience let's see how Nigel evolves, doesn't take much to climb the league any meltdown now might be fatal.

Player
Manager
John King
On the contrary, I think Coleman has more experience than Adkins of working with teams in our current predicament, albeit he has not succeeded away from The Crown Ground.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On the contrary, I think Coleman has more experience than Adkins of working with teams in our current predicament, albeit he has not succeeded away from The Crown Ground.
Yes plus Coleman will surely have better knowledge of leagues one and two plus the national league etc where he’s picked up players and developed them.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Yes plus Coleman will surely have better knowledge of leagues one and two plus the national league etc where he’s picked up players and developed them.
They picked up Matt Lowe (striker/midfielder) from Brackley Town. Due to an injury crisis they played him RB against FGR and he looked really good.
They've picked up over £1.5m in sales over last couple of seasons.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I wouldn't entertain Coleman and Bell to be honest. From being local you hear a bit; enough to scare me off anyway! If even some of what I have heard bears some truth there would be absolutely no "fit" between him and MP anyway. A whole sh*tstorm erupted over the weekend with Holt saying he has had enough.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Don’t want Barton but another scouser manager now available as Robbie Fowler is sacked by Saudi 2nd division team Al-Quasiah who Max Power plays for. They are second in the league and unbeaten.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In our current position, don’t think either would be a good fit even if they were willing to come and the Palioi to employ them. Both of which are unlikely.
On purely footballing grounds Barton has has underachieved on a decent budget and Fowler has minimal experience working in the FL. Get the impression some of his foreign jobs may be down to his name rather than managerial ability, though he’s done ok.

I’m reminded of that weird ‘story’ some of the mainstream media carried in April - over a month after Mellon left - that Fowler was considering applying for the Rovers job. No rush, Robbie!

Struck me one of his media mates (Nixon?) was just reminding everyone he still existed. Two months later he got the job in Saudi!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A fairly passionate defence from Mark in an interview on trip to the moon pod just released.
Basically still in until he can find a reputable buyer.
Believes in Nigel but they are keeping an eye on who is out there.
Budget around mid table level this season. The Palios have not taken any money out of the club and invested about £6M since they took over.
He clearly loves the club and anyone who suggests otherwise is mad. Confident we’ll get out of trouble.

Very passionate about everyone sticking together

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think the majority of people have questioned whether he cares enough, but I would question his decision making. There were a number of comments he made that I would take issue with, including that a lot of this season's poor performance is down to luck (it is not) that relegation in 2014-15 was inevitable when he took ownership of the club (it was not) and that Dawes won seven games in a row in his caretaker spell and was worthwhile appointment (he did not and was not).

In all seriousness, he does not look well and I think if a deal can be reached in the relatively near future it will be best for all parties. He said he hopes that something can happen within the next twelve months.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I hadn't appreciated the timing of Mark's cancer diagnosis coincided with when we dropped out of the league. Agree with RLC that he doesn't look well and it would be best if a suitable takeover could be achieved at an early stage for his own well being.

While understanding the point he was making about getting a manager who's up and coming rather than from the pool of rejects, unsure how he reconciles that with appointing Adkins as interim, who very much falls into the merry go round class of manager, even allowing for his Rovers' connections.

On the other things RLC picks up on, I agree re 2015 and Dawes' appointment. On luck, we arguably deserved something at Milton Keynes and Crawley and can't think of any game where we've come away with a fortunate win or draw; happy for that to change at Stockport. Can't remember exactly how many Dawes won after taking over from Jackson, but it was a decent run.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Think it was 5 he won then hill won first two that could be his thinking. And no mark does not look well sell up and retire

Reactions: Ian