• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Crawley (3) v Rovers (2)

Match result

• Crawley

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Crawley (3) v Rovers (2)
Posted by Ian
Broadfield Stadium
Saturday, September 16, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 16, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This could go any way. It’s now open, end to end stuff. Yarney has come on for Pike, who was getting skinned down their left wing.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On a plus note, the game has opened up now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Need to get something out of this game but as it is we are in bottom 2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohhhhhhhhhhh.. brilliant chance for Rovers. Saunders with a great run, squared back to Hawkes right in front of goal, he misses the ball. Awful miss from Hawkes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Noooooooooo... Crawley have scored.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Scramble in the box as much of the second half has gone and they've managed to squeeze it in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The second half has been a bit of a disaster really. I expected Crawley to come out more but they have had large amounts of the ball, plenty of chances to score, we have sat far too deep and paid the price. We did have chances ourselves but Crawley have been all over us this half. I think in this half, Crawley have had around 17 shots with 7 on target. We probably mustered one or two this half.

There have been improvements, the first half was decent but still plenty of work to do to turn us around.

FT: 3-2

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
it is a concern that Adkins hasn’t actually been able to stop the rot. We needed something from this game but didn’t get it. Will be interested in hearing the reports. Even me being in Scotland doesn’t have an effect!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have not seen the game yet, but it is concerning that despite a more solid shape in the first half we have again conceded three goals and got nothing. We really are in serious relegation trouble.

I can understand why Adkins went for physicality in midfield with Walker and McAlear, but if our better technical players like Hendry, Morris and Merrie are bombed out long term it will be a big mistake in my view.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Gutting that we’ve lost the game after leading twice. A very long journey home for the fans unfortunately.

To concede 3 in 45 minutes is a concern even though we knew there would be a Crawley reaction at half time.

Player
Goodison
Unfortunately I fear we’re this years basket case, we’re going to be lucky to get to 40 points.

The squad is a complete mess - it’s unbalanced, the midfield terribly weak/undynamic/lacking goals/flair/tackling and there’s a complete lack of pace throughout the team, with no competition for two centre backs who both seem disinterested/disillusioned.

This has been brewing for several years and is coming home to roost, if you take a step back and look at the club, we’re completely dysfunctional -

Appoint Jackson, never going to work. Sack Hill on eve of play offs with a 50% win ratio and cup final (yes he was mad and form had fallen off a cliff, but sacking him and giving it to Dawes with no experience was bizzare and never going to work).

Then bring Mellon back because we can't think of anyone else. Then completely change approach to a ‘development model’, when he has all his success with experienced players. Then sack him when it shockingly doesn’t work, spend 3 months looking for an ‘exceptional candidate’, only to appoint the failed assistant who is partly responsible for everything since we returned to league 2.

Then put the chairman's mate and very well qualified manager in as 'technical director' day after, not exactly a vote of confidence, or clear what he's there for, beyond an insurance policy.

Then spend a pre-season playing 4-3-3, only to sign forwards that fit a 4-4-2. Then sack Dawes and put a manager in charge who apparently doesn’t want to be a manager anymore.

It’s a complete shambles and we pay the highest season tickets in the league to witness it! Desperately need Palios and co to let someone else run the football side and stand well back. I fear we’re going to be down before the end of March.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Unfortunately I fear we’re this years basket case, we’re going to be lucky to get to 40 points.

The squad is a complete mess - it’s unbalanced, the midfield terribly weak/undynamic/lacking goals/flair/tackling and there’s a complete lack of pace throughout the team, with no competition for two centre backs who both seem disinterested/disillusioned.

This has been brewing for several years and is coming home to roost, if you take a step back and look at the club, we’re completely dysfunctional -

Appoint Jackson, never going to work. Sack Hill on eve of play offs with a 50% win ratio and cup final (yes he was mad and form had fallen off a cliff, but sacking him and giving it to Dawes with no experience was bizzare and never going to work).

Then bring Mellon back because we can't think of anyone else. Then completely change approach to a ‘development model’, when he has all his success with experienced players. Then sack him when it shockingly doesn’t work, spend 3 months looking for an ‘exceptional candidate’, only to appoint the failed assistant who is partly responsible for everything since we returned to league 2.

Then put the chairman's mate and very well qualified manager in as 'technical director' day after, not exactly a vote of confidence, or clear what he's there for, beyond an insurance policy.

Then spend a pre-season playing 4-3-3, only to sign forwards that fit a 4-4-2. Then sack Dawes and put a manager in charge who apparently doesn’t want to be a manager anymore.

It’s a complete shambles and we pay the highest season tickets in the league to witness it! Desperately need Palios and co to let someone else run the football side and stand well back. I fear we’re going to be down before the end of March.
Difficult to argue with most of that unfortunately.

I think Mellon's performance last season acquires lustre with every week that passes.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Put like that roverstillidie, at a time of disappointment, it is difficult to argue with, but Taylor and Saunders do have pace…….I am struggling to expand further.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It was covid!
It was PPG!
It was the league!
It was the conspiracy theory
It was the ref!
It was the FA!
It was everyone else!
It wasn't the club policy!
It wasn't the managerial appointments!
It wasn't the budgets!
It wasn't the recruitment!
And so on and more?
It wasn't @Boz!

Player
Goodison
Put like that roverstillidie, at a time of disappointment, it is difficult to argue with, but Taylor and Saunders do have pace…….I am struggling to expand further.
Indeed, it's very depressing! Really hope I'm proven wrong, but nothing about the club seems positive at the moment, it feels eerily similar to previous relegation seasons.