• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

And the new manager is..

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think people are most concerned about what the failure to secure even a mediocre external appointment says about the current financial state and trajectory of the club.

Rather than picking up the pieces three times, it could equally be argued that Dawes has had three failed attempts at assisting a manager and has now been handed a more senior position purely because he was the only individual we could afford, rather than due to any particular merit.

The questions about his character and past association with Stephen Vaughan also won't go away, and give me cause for concern.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes a lot of the comments aren’t against Dawes as such, it is just perhaps the likely realisation that financially we’re not in a great position at all. That impacts on expectations for next season and the quality of players we’ll be able to bring in.
As I say though if a lot is down to budget then Palios should give some hint to this, instead of suggesting we’ve rejected a lot of experienced managers with promotions on their CVs

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A lot of the reactions are probably the initial shock of it. Given the quantity of names linked, even if some were unrealistic, not many expected Dawes. Results haven’t really improved since Micky left and we’ve played some of the poorest teams in the league.
Lots of people on social media saying they aren’t buying a season ticket now which is ludicrous. Fair enough if people can’t afford it but I’d be there whoever was in charge. I’m not confident about Dawes but he has my backing and we’ll see what happens.
You do wonder whether MP should have announced it after the Northampton game so any immediate protests etc May have calmed down come the start of next season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That's just knee jerk reactions . They probably will buy a ST or go the the games but just making a point they aren't happy with the appointment.

Talk about an anticlimax though!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If the squad doesn't improve before next season, we can probably take the last couple of games as an indicator of how we will fair next season. We still need to address some obvious deficiencies in the squad but I am far from convinced we have the budget to do so.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If the squad doesn't improve before next season, we can probably take the last couple of games as an indicator of how we will fair next season. We still need to address some obvious deficiencies in the squad but I am far from convinced we have the budget to do so.
Yep. Dawes says in his interview that he knows we need to strengthen in attacking areas and it’s decent strikers that cost the most

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Yes a lot of the comments aren’t against Dawes as such, it is just perhaps the likely realisation that financially we’re not in a great position at all. That impacts on expectations for next season and the quality of players we’ll be able to bring in.
As I say though if a lot is down to budget then Palios should give some hint to this, instead of suggesting we’ve rejected a lot of experienced managers with promotions on their CVs
I have nothing but what I've seen on the pitch with Dawes. But my experience in football doesn't fill me with optimism. And his role as a coach, not as manager.He will take training as he does now, with Parky. The true manager role within the club will be obselete..

drwhoman

Palios saved the Club and yet he now seems to be a pariah to some. Football today is all about money and unless another Johnson turns up we have to cut our cloth according to our means. Not ideal I know but In the circumstances Dawes might be a better outcome than some unknown quantity? That said, sacking Mellon was questionable. We can but see what happens. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised! There is always hope!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That's just knee jerk reactions . They probably will buy a ST or go the the games but just making a point they aren't happy with the appointment.

Talk about an anticlimax though!
When it's put on the official site he's the standout choice then it just makes things worse. If he was the standout choice why take so long to appoint him.
A very frustrating and frankly worrying decision

Player
Manager
John King
Palios saved the Club and yet he now seems to be a pariah to some. Football today is all about money and unless another Johnson turns up we have to cut our cloth according to our means. Not ideal I know but In the circumstances Dawes might be a better outcome than some unknown quantity? That said, sacking Mellon was questionable. We can but see what happens. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised! There is always hope!
I am not sure I go along with the notion that Palios 'saved the club'. He made a positive contribution in the early years in tandem with others, but also benefitted from the benevolence of the previous owner.

He is danger of leaving us exactly where he found us in the summer of 2014, albeit without that benevolent former owner still in the background providing financial assistance.

I have lost a lot of faith in him after recent developments.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Saved the club ? He was given the club with little or no debt which PJ had written off and there was the sale of Ingleborough which generated significant funds. Despite trying a number of off field ventures to boost finances few if any have made money and most have made losses.

We sacked the 2nd most successful manager in the clubs history and replaced him with a coach who managed in Malta and Wales under an owner of dubious character. Dawes will be a head coach rather than a manager so I'm unsure what say if any he will have in recruitment.
I will back Dawes and hopefully he will fo a good job but I have grave concerns for next season and the way the club is being run and the direction the club is going in.

drwhoman

Saved the club ? He was given the club with little or no debt which PJ had written off and there was the sale of Ingleborough which generated significant funds. Despite trying a number of off field ventures to boost finances few if any have made money and most have made losses.

We sacked the 2nd most successful manager in the clubs history and replaced him with a coach who managed in Malta and Wales under an owner of dubious character. Dawes will be a head coach rather than a manager so I'm unsure what say if any he will have in recruitment.
I will back Dawes and hopefully he will fo a good job but I have grave concerns for next season and the way the club is being run and the direction the club is going in.
I agree re sacking Mellon but what is the alternative to Palios? He can only do what he can do. Much as it pains me, Tranmere are not a business proposition particularly as the gulf in football finances has widened. Tranmere have always been a little in the shadow of the clubs across the Mersey but even more so now. It is not just a Rovers thing. So many clubs, particularly in the north of England, are in a similar situation.I too wonder about next season and only time will tell.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree re sacking Mellon but what is the alternative to Palios? He can only do what he can do. Much as it pains me, Tranmere are not a business proposition particularly as the gulf in football finances has widened. Tranmere have always been a little in the shadow of the clubs across the Mersey but even more so now. It is not just a Rovers thing. So many clubs, particularly in the north of England, are in a similar situation.I too wonder about next season and only time will tell.
A slightly patronising assessment, given that countless other lower division clubs have owners with ambition and the capacity to invest, including several a few miles from here.

What Palios might need to do is lower his asking price for any potential takeover of the club.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wonder if Palios is now just going through the motions, as his decision making recently has been questionable to see the least. He obviously wants out, and to be fair I don't blame him but he hasn't found that magical money investor yet to take over the reigns.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I wonder if Palios is now just going through the motions, as his decision making recently has been questionable to see the least. He obviously wants out, and to be fair I don't blame him but he hasn't found that magical money investor yet to take over the reigns.
Yes he clearly wants out but the key question is asking price

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I will give him some cheap hot dogs and poor burgers to leave the club oh sorry we already have this on match days oh wel at least if we do go down we will have the best fan park in the none League

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Clearing the debt, would have to be the starting point.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well I suppose on the bright side Dawes will know who he wants to try and keep and who he doesn't. I would hope that Tom Davies is appointed captain next season

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And another bright side as it's been a bit doom and gloom is that he seems quite keen on giving the younger lads a go. Whether that was just end of season experiments or not, it was still good to see Taylor gets some game time and Rhys Hughes too.