• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

And the new manager is..

drwhoman

A slightly patronising assessment, given that countless other lower division clubs have owners with ambition and the capacity to invest, including several a few miles from here.

What Palios might need to do is lower his asking price for any potential takeover of the club.
I am sorry if it came across that way RLC.It was not intended. I was only trying to express what I believe is the reality. I am not sure I would be offering anything other than a nominal pound given the notorious unncertanties in owning a football club, particularly in L2, other than as either an act of public generosity or as a means of acquiring Prenton Park for development purposes. Memories of Vaughan? The Club is loss making and the ground issue needs to be addressed. The latter may well be a reason why Mark is being so careful financially?
As you say, there are Clubs not far away that have attracted new investment such as Wrexham and Stockport. I must confess that I am not privy as to why they have been able to do this. Certainly in the former case there seems to be an element of wealthy North Americans looking for a cause that was good for their personal profiles. I have no idea about Stockport. It would probably need a local investor who was concerned about the Club's possible demise? A bit like Palios was originally?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If some of the comments on another site are true then the Bbm deal collapsed after he wasn't allowed bring in an assistant despite it being agreed and him telling city he was leaving. If true and its a big if then its appalling and will damage the clubs reputation in the game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If some of the comments on another site are true then the Bbm deal collapsed after he wasn't allowed bring in an assistant despite it being agreed and him telling city he was leaving. If true and its a big if then its appalling and will damage the clubs reputation in the game.
I don't understand the obsession with appointing our own coaching staff. Any prospective manager from outside will want to bring an assistant with him.

I can understand that Palios might want all the coaching staff to have the same philosophy (passing style etc.), but the prospective manager would not appoint an assistant with an opposing philosophy anyway.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Shocked at the events of today. It’s hard
to understand the timing of the announcement, even if you accept Mark Palios’ rationale for choosing Dawes, which many don’t. Why not wait until after the final game, maybe even until the Technical Director is appointed? I’m not feeling in the slightest bit hopeful looking forward.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I don't understand the obsession with appointing our own coaching staff. Any prospective manager from outside will want to bring an assistant with him.

I can understand that Palios might want all the coaching staff to have the same philosophy (passing style etc.), but the prospective manager would not appoint an assistant with an opposing philosophy anyway.
The ITK's on the other site suggested that BBM's starting position was he wanted 3 of his own men, a new GK coach, new first team coach and a new assistant. This means 3 new salaries to be agreed at whatever the cost they might be but likely £300k plus on top of his own salary. Then only MP would know what he was in for on top of that in terms of severance payments for Murphy, Dawes and Parky but surely well over another £200k.
Supposedly he ended up agreeing with BBM that he could only bring in one assistant but maybe he wasm't keen and BBM went back to needing 3?
Or maybe at the last minute MP or BBM decided not worth all the hassle given the different viewpoints?
Or City found out and offered to double BBM's wages or offer him a promotion? Small beer to them after all another £150k here or there is nothing to them.
Doubt we will ever know but put it another way with Dawes in charge now we have likely £500k or so potentiially in the kitty for next year that could be spent on a new striker if we have the budget.

Player
Manager
John King
The ITK's on the other site suggested that BBM's starting position was he wanted 3 of his own men, a new GK coach, new first team coach and a new assistant. This means 3 new salaries to be agreed at whatever the cost they might be but likely £300k plus on top of his own salary. Then only MP would know what he was in for on top of that in terms of severance payments for Murphy, Dawes and Parky but surely well over another £200k.
Supposedly he ended up agreeing with BBM that he could only bring in one assistant but maybe he wasm't keen and BBM went back to needing 3?
Or maybe at the last minute MP or BBM decided not worth all the hassle given the different viewpoints?
Or City found out and offered to double BBM's wages or offer him a promotion? Small beer to them after all another £150k here or there is nothing to them.
Doubt we will ever know but put it another way with Dawes in charge now we have likely £500k or so potentiially in the kitty for next year that could be spent on a new striker if we have the budget.
How do you know the assistants would have demanded £100k each, in addition to Barry Murphy's salary ? That figure is higher than the wage of most managers at this level, let alone assistants.

If we are paying the market rate for assistants, we should simply be able to ditch Dawes and Parkinson and bring in the assistants the new manager wants. If we are paying well below market rates that is seriously concerning, and basically means we can never make an external appointment, which is absurd.

How do countless clubs at this level of similar size to us manage to appoint new managers and coaching staff ? They are not all heavily bankrolled.

Player
Manager
John King
There is no way we have made a £500k saving by appointing Dawes. In any case, a competent manager and a decent striker are not an 'either or'. You need both.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

The previous 3 managers Jackson, Hill and Mellon all had to work with D and P and not there own staff, it's just bizzare

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe he feels they are adaptable and don't forget cheap! It is bizzare though.

Player
Manager
John King
The chances of getting a half decent manager in without their own staff is virtually nil.
Is it just a control issue, where Palios thinks that a manager with his own assistant would have too much power and ability to challenge him ?

It is peculiar.

ADD

Player
Norwood
It's hard to say and very peculiar indeed
I agree it is really weird.

The one plausible reason to me is not that that MP pulled the deal as most seem to be assuming on here but given that BBM's name was being touted everyewhere City would have got wind of it and could have offered BBM more money/ a promotion to stay. After all an extra £100k for them on one salary is nothing.

If BBM was already concerned about having been been allowed only one assistant that might explain why he decided the risk/ reward simply wasn't worth it and changed his mind?

That, or BBM was riding 2 horses and had another offer he considered better? Seems unlikely I know but we shall see I guess if he does leave City shortly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think a lot of the decisions behind made are dictated by budget and I really don't think we have much of that. Also MP seems quite rigid in certain areas. This being one of them!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Is it just a control issue, where Palios thinks that a manager with his own assistant would have too much power and ability to challenge him ?

It is peculiar.
I don't think it is that at all. Take Bradford they spent on Hughes, were spending on players like Cook and gave him money to spend. They are now hoping to win the play offs otherwise the same outcome as Tranmere effectively.
Palios hasn't spent big on a new boss, isn't spending on the current squad and now might have a little left to spend on the new signings.
Dawes needs to be brutal IMO, get rid of all the deadwood even leave yourself short on numbers and aim for quality. then pray lol

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Y
I think a lot of the decisions behind made are dictated by budget and I really don't think we have much of that. Also MP seems quite rigid in certain areas. This being one of them!
Yes I'm sure a lot is down to budget. How Dawes can cope with that remains to be seen but if start next season badly then who knows what will happen

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think it is that at all. Take Bradford they spent on Hughes, were spending on players like Cook and gave him money to spend. They are now hoping to win the play offs otherwise the same outcome as Tranmere effectively.
Palios hasn't spent big on a new boss, isn't spending on the current squad and now might have a little left to spend on the new signings.
Dawes needs to be brutal IMO, get rid of all the deadwood even leave yourself short on numbers and aim for quality. then pray lol
The overall level of spending does not explain why we can afford to employ Mellon, Dawes and Parkinson, but can't replace them if they are fired.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe they are cutting costs further and this was a great opportunity to do that.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Maybe they are cutting costs further and this was a great opportunity to do that.
But then there's supposed to be a Technical Director appointed and maybe other coaching staff unless of course its not true

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The overall level of spending does not explain why we can afford to employ Mellon, Dawes and Parkinson, but can't replace them if they are fired.
When you replace you have the added cost of severance payouts. It doesn't take a genius to work out that Palios's most recent gamble failed. He got extra investment in, signed Hemmings to have a promotion attempt last season. Spending this Xmas was aimed at having a run at the play offs, results went down hill.
I think we can safely conclude the financial state is poorer than 18 months ago and those chips he claimed to have held onto will now be sold if possible.