• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

and so it begins..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are well ahead of most other Conference clubs in squad building, a number of whom have barely signed anybody yet, so I am not greatly concerned. However, it would be nice to have the situation regarding Holmes, Laird and Hill clarified, the only three of the remaining out of contract players I would want to keep. It would also be good if we could ship a couple of the weak under-contract players out: certainly Donnelly, but perhaps also one or two others, such as Holness.
Wouldn't you like to hang onto Koumas for another season? He might add something extra in the Vanarama.

I'm assuming Power will be on his way before long - hopefully to an English club so we get some compensation.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, forgot about Koumas. I hope he does stay but assume he would only play a bit-part role due to his injury record.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Power supposed to be going to Wigan clubs cannot agree compensation as yet may go to tribunal

drwhoman

I see Dugdale has joined Molyneaux at Morecambe. The seaside club will be in trouble unless they perform better than they did for Rovers! Fingers crossed for more news of incomings this week as people get back from holiday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes although there has been holidays etc its been over a month since the season ended so some decisions must be made soon.

Dale Jennings has had his contract terminated by Barnsley......who knows where he'll end up

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes another with a Wrexham connection but with a fair bit of experience at this level and in L2. Partnered Richie Sutton (our other new centre half) in Mansfields defence last season so hopefully they can gel quickly. Thats 4 centre halves I think we'll have with Ihikwe and Holness.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, another with real good experience at these levels and has played with some of the other guys too. If they do the business on the pitch, I think we could have the making of a half decent team. It will be interesting to see who stays from the current crop of players too. as mentioned a few posts ago, we could also do with another striker who can bang them in at this level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting reading Ian. The Stags, on balance seem to rate Sutton more than Riley.

Sparky mentions 4 central defenders. Gumbs plays there and so can Ridehalgh of those already signed up. Time to start reinforcing elsewhere.

Player
Manager
John King
From the Stags forum it seems Riley is more cultured than Sutton but less physical, so they might complement one another. I would imagine they will be the first choice centre half pairing, which means Ihiekwe and Holness are already down the pecking order.

Both players have regularly featured in top three Conference sides, as have most of the new signings. It certainly appears we will have a play-off standard squad next season.

drwhoman

I see Chis Dagnall has left Leyton O for India and that George Green has been released by Everton. Is the latter of any interest? Probably not for the Conference? Another decent young player released is Jordan Lussey of Liverpool.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm surprised about George Green. I would love to see him and Dale Jennings back at Rovers next season, but I know they'll get offers from league clubs and better wages.

As it seems, GB is assembling a team of experienced, dependable but fairly unexciting players. It would be nice to see a bit of flair, which was missing last season as we failed so often to penetrate opposition defences.

drwhoman

I agree BBTC. Will be interesting to see if Jason Koumas goes around again. May be too far gone physically for the rough and tumble of the National League but we will see. Another player given a free is Rory Donnelly from Swansea. As you say players like him will probably get offers from league clubs. Gary Brabin is clearly focussing on players who are proven to be able to cope with football at our current level and are willing to take whatever wages Mark Palios is currently approving. I hope it all works out. For him and Nicola in particular. It is not too fanciful to suggest that Rovers would truly be in the proverbial without them.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We might have more chance of signing Rory Donnelly, if we want him. I think he'd do well at this level given a decent run to find his feet and restore his confidence. He's a natural striker. I thought he did OK for us until Micky Adams started playing him out of position. Whether he'd want to come back after last season's experience is another matter.

drwhoman

Fair comment. GB does not seem to have (at least as yet!) fallen for the temptation of signing a big centre forward able to throw his weight around but is incapable of scoring many goals. I think we have seen several examples of this over recent years! I would like to see a decent winger signed to give us width - maybe Jennings would be the man if he decides to come home.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I notice that Zoumana Bakayogo has been released by Leicester. I think he suffered a nasty injury whilst there but was quality when with us.

Player
Manager
John King
As it seems, GB is assembling a team of experienced, dependable but fairly unexciting players.

I am not sure that is entirely true. From what I have read, Maynard was one of the most exciting midfielders in the Conference in the last couple of season, and Norwood has a bit about him as well. According to the Wrexham fans, Riley also has quality bringing the ball out from the back.

I personally think we should steer well clear of Jennings and Green, even if they were interested in us. There have been too many failed attempts at bringing ex-players back in recent years and we need a clean break now. That said, I would have Zoum back !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd love to see Dale back again but no chance of that. Not sure about Donnelly, we need to move on. Think it might be too much for Koumas now although would be nice to have as an option.

Ryan Lowe is currently circulating the rumour mill.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Ian says no chance of signing Jennings and I reckon league clubs will be after Green, Zoom & Rory. I'd forget about all them.

Lowe is perhaps a bit more realistic although he has another year at Bury I think on decent wages. Bury have signed or are about to 2 new strikers so he won't get a look in at all next season in L1. I reckon some L2 clubs may fancy him, the likes of Jamie Cureton still bang the goals in at that level.

I would love to have him back but cant see it happening as other clubs will want him possibly L2.