• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

and so it begins..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
First batch of players released today. Those include Hume, OFW, Dugdale, Odejayi, Taylor, Thompson and Brezovan. No big losses there IMO.

Power predictably offered a new contract and a few youngsters.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure I agree Ian. Personally I would have offered a new deal to Fonners, Hume and possibly Rob Taylor for his versatility (altho he hardly shone admittedly but no one did towards the end).

Hume would need to get fit of course and Fonners I still think was one of the best L2 keepers. I suspect certainly the latter will have options elsewhere in league football. Might have been tempted to give Odejayi a 1 yr deal at a reduced rate tho.

Would love Max to stay but can't see it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Why would you offer a contact to Hume he did nothing and is well passed his best, the more we get rid of the better we need a fresh start with fresh players not the same lot who are too used to losing

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think OFW is moving on regardless. A little uneasy if we are relying on two rookie keepers, with Brezovan also gone, but presume someone else will come in.

Sadly Hume didn't deliver on his return. A part of me would like to see if he could have improved with an extended run-out, but a luxury we don't have.

Decisions still pending on Hill, Holmes, Jennings, Laird & Molyneux. I'd hope they offer Danny a new deal, but no strong feelings on the rest.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The only real surprise on the released list is Fonners. He would be a valuable asset in the Conference, so I can only assume we can not justify paying decent wages for a keeper now that we have dropped out of the league and had a reduction in income.

I tend to agree with Boz about the remaining players, although Hill and Laird could be worth retaining, particularly the latter.

drwhoman

I just wonder with OFW whether the club simply recognise that he is going to get a gig elsewhere and that there is no point in pursuing him now. They need to start thinking about his replacement immediately. On a general point, and obviously we need some more experienced players, it will be interesting if Brabin brings with him any young players who might not be going to quite cut the mustard at Everton.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Our links with Everton are certainly a lot stronger than the other local prem team but we really need a decent core set of players and not 20 loanees.

It sounds harsh but I think we need to be when I say most of them can go. They were part of the worst Tranmere team I've ever seen. OFW is replaceable, he's not that good. I'd like to see Hill stay as I think he's a tidy player. Holmes should stay. The rest of the defence can go.

Get rid of Jennings who didn't do enough for an experienced pro. Laird and Molyneux can go as can all the forwards who couldn't hit a barn door. Odejayi always tried but just wasn't prolific enough.

If power stays he will get better, he's still young but can't see him sticking around. We should keep Koumas as he's still a tremendous passer. Bit gutted about Hume as always liked him but he's past his best now.

Releasing Dugdale is a big relief.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's strange this news mentions only a few players and leaves the rest in limbo. I don't understand why, particularly when there are worse players missing from that list.

I'm baffled about OFW, who everybody agrees has been one of our best players over the past few years. He's also been one of the most loyal, having left international squads to play. I can only hope that drwhoman's analysis is right and we can't afford him. If not, it's shabby treatment for someone I could have seen as the next player after Goodi to get a testimonial.

I'm pleased to see Sam Ramsbottom and Liam Davies have been offered extensions. We will have an incredible number of young pros next season, including surprisingly two keepers.

Gary Brabin will no doubt have a list of targets already, including Everton youngsters. I would imagine the agents are keeping his phone hot as a lot of players released from L1 and L2 clubs will be looking for new contracts. It will be an interesting close season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Id imagine he's got quite a job on his hands recruiting the right players. We need quality in there to make an immediate impression but luring that quality to the conference can't be easy. Going to be an interesting few months like you say BBTC.

M

Mal

Bbtc, I think you should consider that players like fonners were spoken to and decision was a 'mutual' one. None of us knows what has been discussed. I think 'shabby' and such adjectives should be consigned to the dustbin, at least until the next time everyone turns against the manager and certain players again. We are in a transition period.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Bbtc, I think you should consider that players like fonners were spoken to and decision was a 'mutual' one. None of us knows what has been discussed. I think 'shabby' and such adjectives should be consigned to the dustbin, at least until the next time everyone turns against the manager and certain players again. We are in a transition period.
You're right in that none of us knows what was discussed. If it was mutual, then I understand. But the announcement read like the players were not wanted. If we could have kept him but didn't try, I'm disappointed.

Player
Manager
John King
Our links with Everton are certainly a lot stronger than the other local prem team but we really need a decent core set of players and not 20 loanees.

It sounds harsh but I think we need to be when I say most of them can go. They were part of the worst Tranmere team I've ever seen. OFW is replaceable, he's not that good. I'd like to see Hill stay as I think he's a tidy player. Holmes should stay. The rest of the defence can go.

Get rid of Jennings who didn't do enough for an experienced pro. Laird and Molyneux can go as can all the forwards who couldn't hit a barn door. Odejayi always tried but just wasn't prolific enough.

If power stays he will get better, he's still young but can't see him sticking around. We should keep Koumas as he's still a tremendous passer. Bit gutted about Hume as always liked him but he's past his best now.

Releasing Dugdale is a big relief.

I don't think Fonners will be replaceable at Conference level, as he is one of the best keepers in the lower divisions. He has also been a good servant to the club and I find the decision to let him go strange, unless it was financially motivated.

I agree with the rest of your assessment, but I think Laird still might be worth a contract.

I answer to BBTC, I think Palios had already decided the initial seven to be released prior to Brabin's appointment. It is debatable whether a chairman should be making decisions regarding the playing squad, but in fairness some of the decisions were very easy to make (Dugdale, Taylor etc.).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd hope that with the number of our own youth squad who have been offered deals while Kirby and Stockton are still relatively young that Brabin's Everton contacts are minimally used. We now need to flesh out the squad with players who have either conference experience or he deems have the required attributes to cope with the conference.

Player
Manager
John King
I'd hope that with the number of our own youth squad who have been offered deals while Kirby and Stockton are still relatively young that Brabin's Everton contacts are minimally used. We now need to flesh out the squad with players who have either conference experience or he deems have the required attributes to cope with the conference.

I agree, although I am not sure either Kirby or Stockton will make it in the long term.

drwhoman

My take would be that the club (Mark P) said to the squad. 'guys Gary has still to get his feet under the table but it would help us and might help you if you put your hand up now if you are not staying whatever happens'. This would make life easier for Gary knowing who would like to stay and who will be on their bike come what may. It would speed up his recruitment process. If there is any substance in this suggestion then it may be that the likes of Laird and one or two others who tried hard, and who might get a gig somewhere else, might actually stay. If Gary can put a decent squad together then it might be more fun at the top of the Conference rather than playing at some struggling club in Div Two. Time will tell if my comments are complete rubbish or not! All I ask is that they reach agreement with George Donnelly that he waives the second year of his contract - that really was a dumb decision!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My take would be that the club (Mark P) said to the squad. 'guys Gary has still to get his feet under the table but it would help us and might help you if you put your hand up now if you are not staying whatever happens'. This would make life easier for Gary knowing who would like to stay and who will be on their bike come what may. It would speed up his recruitment process. If there is any substance in this suggestion then it may be that the likes of Laird and one or two others who tried hard, and who might get a gig somewhere else, might actually stay. If Gary can put a decent squad together then it might be more fun at the top of the Conference rather than playing at some struggling club in Div Two. Time will tell if my comments are complete rubbish or not! All I ask is that they reach agreement with George Donnelly that he waives the second year of his contract - that really was a dumb decision!
What you say would make sense. The first announcement deals with those who want to go. The next announcement would then deal with those who Gary wants and can persuade to stay - and the rest are released.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think he'll have quite a few league clubs after his signature. Can't see him staying but whatever happens, let's get is sorted quickly so we can rebuild and move on.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
RLC, I would say Fonners is quite decent and I don't think we will get better than him in the conference but if he was one of the better keepers in the lower leagues why did nobody want him last season? I reckon he will end up at Blackpool and probably be in yet another relegation battle there.