• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Yanks

drwhoman

If he has any love for the club Johnson should do the right thing and write off his debt - surely his accountants can engineer a tax benefit to at least partially offset his loss? He should transfer the club to a community trust for a pound. Living on Jersey he is not exactly short of a bob or two - you have to have at least a million to get in there. More likely he will do what Moores did at Liverpool - sell what what was really his in trust for the fans for thirty pieces of silver!

As several other writers have said, no good will come of this. You simply cannot make money out of a suburban football club particularly when you have two giants across the Mersey. I can see housing estates at Prenton and a future like that of Chester FC. A move to a small soul less stadium and eventual oblivion.

Sorry if this sounds gloomy but we are the only local second tier club to survive. Chester has gone while Southport and, to a lesser extent Wrexham, meander along in the Conference. We could easily go the same way.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
No offence Amplesou - I enjoy your bizarre posts - but this is an absolutely stupid idea tbh

no problem ,just a different slant on things...

some times football fan/accountant view point is a bit ere...
:razz:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If he has any love for the club Johnson should do the right thing and write off his debt - surely his accountants can engineer a tax benefit to at least partially offset his loss? He should transfer the club to a community trust for a pound. Living on Jersey he is not exactly short of a bob or two - you have to have at least a million to get in there. More likely he will do what Moores did at Liverpool - sell what what was really his in trust for the fans for thirty pieces of silver!
Having this attitude is easy if you aren't in that position. Why should he simply write off millions? He might still have love for the club, who knows, I think he just wants rid, but simply writing off his debt. Come on, get real.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
No one can expect PJ to turn his back on £6m!! That is pure fantasy. As much as it pains us if we are to move forward change is what is needed.

It's human nature to be against change, and as someone else pointed out, its gonna happen if we like it or not. I honestly think PJ does have some feelings for the club or he would have sold us to Vaughan a few years back!

You never know this could be a real turning point. Either way all we can do is wait and see.

Player
Goodison
Johnson does care for the club, he just isn't prepared to put his money into it anymore. If he didn't care for us we would have being sold to someone a long time ago or Club 9 Sports would already be in control.

O

OneNightInGayParis

That's why we need to balance it up a little, it's easy to run a PR machine with no opposition.

RTIL, I don't think this is a bad idea. There is significantly more evidence that C9S and their backers are amateur profiteers with no track record, than there is to the contrary. Look back at the posts on the Sheff Wednesday fansites to see how that prospective deal was viewed and presented - Norwich City before that as well. We can spend as much energy as we like bemoaning the position on here but, with due respect to WR, it isn't going to go much further.

The existence of this unknown model/experiment needs tio be publicised much more. I want to see some real investigative stuff on these guys (there is a limit to what you can do even with Google) and at the moment Nick Hilton even seems to have lost interest. Any interest in our story can only be a good thing. Yes, C9S may possibly be the best thing that could happen to TRFC but sweet words mean nothing.

And why do I have this feeling that we are walking off the edge of a cliff blindfolded?

Any publicity would help.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
There is no limit to what you can do on Google. People have exhausted that avenue anyway, we know quite a lot about these guys and their past businesses and thier supposed experience.

If PJ wants to sell then he will sell.

M

Mal

Ultimately, it is up to PJ. He is the one who put his money into Tranmere and pulled us out of the mire all those years ago. If he has found a deal to get his 'hardly any interest applied' capital back, then good luck to him. There are so may Rovers supporters who have been biting the hand that fed us. No point complaining if PJ just sells, although if it were just for the money, he would already have done so, assuming he is getting what he wants. Perhaps we should credit him with some sort of driver to see Rovers alright as far as is practical.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Will be interesting to revisit this thread in 6 months time. See what's changed assuming of course they do take over.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Even if Club 9 are genuinely well-intentioned (which is doubtful), their lack of any kind of experience of football in this country would have to be a grave concern. Osterman loved football and probably genuinely intended the club to be a success, at least initially, but was completely clueless when it came to the challenges that a club like Tranmere faces. Do Club 9 really grasp how difficult for us historically to compete with Liverpool and Everton, and when they wake up to the fact what will their response be ? From what I have read, their CV seems unconvincing as the consortium is recently formed, not completely united judging by one of the main funders pulling out to scupper the Wednesday deal, and givesa general impression of naivety.

Equally, however, I think some people are deluding themselves that the status quo and Johnson's continued presence is an option: it isn't. No organisation can survive long term with someone at the helm who doesn't want to be there, and while we are clinging on to respectable status by our fingernails at present, no professional club is sustainable over a decade or more with the lack of investment we have seen at Prenton Park in the last two seasons.

drwhoman

I am surprised there is so little interest here in a community trust. As for fantasy re a public gesture - who in their right mind is going to give Johnson GBP6m? The best he can hope for is a downpayment with further instalments if they hit agreed profit targets. Rovers never make money unless a decent player is sold - what sort of return on capital is that? These Yanks may be football illiterates but everything I have read about them (admittedly second hand from other writers on this site) suggests to me that they are far from dumb. Still we will see what we will see.

As for getting the crowds up - we need more entertainment but football is all about winning these days. The Div 3 (Div1) league table for 60/61 caught my eye last night. We scored 78 goals!! Trouble was we let in 115 and were relegated! Far more goals at every level - Ipswich scored 100 in winning Div 1 - two guys got 70 of them(!) but the quality and financial gaps have widened of course in the last 50yrs and so we are where we are today - debating a takeover by dodgy Americans.

M

Mal

different game in 60/61 - probably 5-3-2 , solid ball, allowed to charge goalkeeper, different offside rule, less-fit players....less wimpish players that didn't fall over at the touch of a butterfly :0). be interesting to see how many fouls referees gave. Also, there seemed to be more attempts at goal per game.

http://www.corshamref.org.uk/offhist.htm

drwhoman

In 60/61 there were no subs, grounds were poorer and players less fit and as Mal says the ball was like a brick in wet conditions. On a point of information - goalies could not be changed. If one was injured an outfield player had to go in goal and they played with ten men. One of the reasons they bought subs in was because players broke legs in both the 59 and 60 cup finals which greatly affected the quality of the games although Notts Forest did win in 59 with ten men. Dave Whelan, whose JJB sports shop success has been so important for Wigan, broke his leg in the 60 final when Blackburn lost 3-0 to Wolves. Final thing on goalies - in 1956 Man City beat Birmingham in the Cup Final. The City goalie was an German ex POW - Bert Trautmann. It was found after the game that he had broken his neck when colliding with a Brum forward! Again, goalie contact was allowed in those days. Nat Lofthouse of Bolton scored in the 58 Final by bundling the Man Utd goalie into the net ball and all!!

M

Mal

just to verify, I wrote charge not change , just in case that led to the interesting info about substitution (or not!) of goalies. I meant the 'running into' with a shoulder charge. Incidentally, it seems that shoulder charging doesn't really happen nowadays or is it that any dive a player does makes a legitimate move look like a foul?

Ooops , I.m veering way off topic here!

drwhoman

Mal - you are right - I am blind - charging goalies - true. Also, as you say, tackling was a bit more agricultural than you see today. Not a bad thing I suppose - even players from the 70s would have struggled to stay on the field today - the likes of Norman Hunter and Graeme Souness - the enforcers of the time. Going off topic I know but Tranmere fielded one of the first foreign players around 1960. Onyeali, a Nigerian centre forward - I think he was in England to study - scored a few goals if not prolific.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Rumours abound that its a done deal, but no official comments yet...:-k

If true, they need to announce before the 28th, as I think it will boost ST sales easily...

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
If true, they need to announce before the 28th, as I think it will boost ST sales easily...

Why? Publicity?

It's hardly welcomed or exciting news.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Why? Publicity?

It's hardly welcomed or exciting news.

Depends on how you look at it, I think its welcome, lets face it we are going nowhere under the status quo, maybe, just maybe the glass is half full?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some of us feel going nowhere is marginally better than the road to oblivion!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Depends on how you look at it, I think its welcome, lets face it we are going nowhere under the status quo, maybe, just maybe the glass is half full?

Have a skim through the whole thread (6 pages, I know). There are some fairly well-substantiated reasons to be concerned about the takeover. The conclusion being basically what Boz said.