• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer rumours

Player
Goodison
125k only covers the players remaining wages, the money would be spent on a replacement anyway. There's no gain to be made from selling Enoch. He's an effective forward who not only chips in with a few goals but provides the space for others to operate in as well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
11 league goals? We're hardly talking Hume, Haworth, Dadi, Greenacre calibre here...he's just a competent league one striker. Don't get me wrong, I think he's good, but there are so many more like him. £125k is quite a lot for a player of his ability who is free to leave at the end of the year.

But there aren't many of them around, let alone anyone we could afford. The players we trialled up front were from overseas, save Tiryaki from non-league who we took a punt on, almost in desparation. My view is that if Enoch is again able to deliver a goal every 4 or so games, that would probably be enough to keep us up. Staying in L1 would be worth more to Rovers than £125k.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
with the swuad we have we shouldnt be worried about relegation we should be comfortable mid table

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
But there aren't many of them around, let alone anyone we could afford. The players we trialled up front were from overseas, save Tiryaki from non-league who we took a punt on, almost in desparation. My view is that if Enoch is again able to deliver a goal every 4 or so games, that would probably be enough to keep us up. Staying in L1 would be worth more to Rovers than £125k.

Yeah it would. But there are players out there who are capable of scoring 11 goals in league one. Enoch is impressive in many other respects, but if we're talking about goals, then 11 is hardly an impressive tally. Joint 24th highest in the league.

Also the fact we went after overseas strikers over the summer is irrelevant - we didn't have Enoch's wage's to spend on someone else/

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Name some names you think we should be going after if we did accept the Enoch bid.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Hmm I don't know. Steve Brooker's still out of contract. Otherwise we could bid for some guys from levels below us, Barry Corr? Shaun Miller? James Constable? A rejuvenated bid for Bishop? I don't know it's not my job, but I do know that 23 others strikers in League One also scored at least 11 league goals last season, so I can comfortably say that Enoch is not prolific/irreplaceable at this level. Put another way, of the 24 clubs in League One last season, 17 could boast of a striker who scored 12 or more goals.

Enoch is fine, I like him, he's one of our better players and it's much simpler for everyone if he stays. But all I'm thinking is that we'd see greater value for money in signing any of these guys to a 2/3 year contract (with Enochs wages+£125k) as opposed to watching the bloke simply walk away for nothing in the summer, and finding ourselves in exactly the same situation but with a few more weeks to find a new player/a hundred grand less in our pocket.

Also, while everyone keeps saying it would be better for morale if he stayed, I would argue that any player who is at the club against his will is probably not going to be such great news in this regard.

Looks like he's set to stay, anyway.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting. Brooker has fitness issues, but if he's out of contract maybe worth a punt. The others are all with clubs and I'd anticipate similar figures to those quoted for Lowe which were out of our price range before (but might be achievable with the extra £125k?). Notts County don't seem to have made an approach for any of those you mention, indeed they've resorted to loaning a teenager off West Ham to bolster their strike force. While it's true there certainly are more prolific strikers than Enoch out there, our prospects of getting any of them are slim.

However, it seems this deal is dead in the water and on balance I'm grateful for that.

M

Mal

There you go amplesou . Another typically positive preseason comment.

Why bother supporting Tranmere? This is in reply to Sonko stating you said you nolonger go to games. The comment below has proved tone wrong.
pre season under way, and squad ,too lite and under strength and despite the money from dale ......nothing of any quality coming in.

can any one give us a name of a pre season trialist that went on to play for tranmere...

na thougt not......
:idea:

DIW

Player
Goodison
Interestingly, given Enoch's form does anyone think we should have taken the money from Notts County?

I'm not saying we should, just wondered what others thought.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interestingly, given Enoch's form does anyone think we should have taken the money from Notts County?

It's easy to be right in hindsight. Enoch was our leading scorer and a key part of our set-up last season. The offer came very late and did not give Les much chance to find a replacement before the end of the transfer window - or maybe he realised £125,000 would not buy someone of Enoch's calibre.

OK, he hasn't been prolific this season, but Les still values his contribution and plays him every time he's fit. He has two goals and I'm sure will come good again.

(That's a longwinded way of answering "no". :lol:)

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko

In hindsight, definitely. Selling up at the time though was a minority view (held by practically me alone).

I'm not claiming to be a prophet or anything, 'cause I didn't want to sell up on the basis that I expected him to be poor this season - just thought it was quite a lot of money we were being offered for a pretty forgettable striker on a one-year contract.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's easy to be right in hindsight. Enoch was our leading scorer and a key part of our set-up last season. The offer came very late and did not give Les much chance to find a replacement before the end of the transfer window - or maybe he realised £125,000 would not buy someone of Enoch's calibre.

OK, he hasn't been prolific this season, but Les still values his contribution and plays him every time he's fit. He has two goals and I'm sure will come good again.

(That's a longwinded way of answering "no". :lol:)

I think the highlighted point is crucial, if the offer had been made when Les had time to assess/recruit a replacement then it would have seemed much more attractive. However Enoch has looked nowhere near the player he was last season.