• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer rumours

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wasn't able to get to Marine last night, but see we won 1-2. The only 'triallist' who started was Raven, who we can't afford and didn't apparently play that well, why is Les persisting with him? Robinson went off with an injury, which sounds quite likely to keep him out for a bit; a worry since he's been playing well by all accounts.

I agree with SonkORLY? that we're starting to look a bit short of depth and more recruits are needed. While our first XI are capable of holding their own in L1, any injuries or bans and we'll be in trouble. Also our new keeper hasn't started yet, just hoping he's not as injury-prone as Nielsen.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I went to Marine last night.

Rovers barely got out of second gear and used it for what it was a warm up match. Mcgurk provided the crosses for both goals and looked decent. Robbo was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch and certainly made a case to be installed as captain for the coming season. His touch looked good and he moved the ball well through the midfield. Keeper looked very shakey as did Zoom. Zoom was given a really tough night by their right winger. Akins got through a lot of running with little end product apart from his goal which seemed to hit him in the face bounce hit the bar then eventually rolled in.
It was a decent run out however when Ropbbo went off the wheels kind of came off and we resorted to the long ball.

I am starting to agree with Sonkorly we look to have a wafer thin squad with very few options. We really need to be trying to get the final pieces of the squad in to allow them time to bed in.

Player
Liam Palmer
How can you judge anyone realistically on one pre-season game at Chester? I don't know... The Brazilian lad may turn out to be cr*p but we won't know until we've seen a bit more. Smacks to me of the reaction McChrystal got when he played 20 minutes of his debut and was written off by a couple of people on this board.

Anyway, game was a bit lame last night, thought it was a decent work out. Liked the look of the young lad who came on at left-back second half, thought he looked more composed than Zoom. Robbo's done his groin, hope it's not serious. Max Power looked quite good. Other than that it was run out, nothing more.

Yes the squad looks a bit thin, but there's still about 6 players who haven't played yet, but Les has said that they probably all would be playing if it was competitive football.

Not too worried, we'll sign some more players. It's just this crazy system which keeps the window open for 3 weeks after the season has started. Clubs like Rovers are right down the purchasing pecking order, so we'll just have to be patient. Have faith!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the core of the squad next season is stronger than in either of the last two seasons, but the lack of depth is a concern. Although there are still a couple of weeks to the start of the season, we seem to have found ourselves wading through trialists again rather than bringing in established players (Fon Williams apart), so whatever additional funds are available, they don't seem to be particularly substantial.

Vinni may or may not turn out to be a good player, but he is unlikely to be walking straight into the first team and banging goals in: we need more experience. Having seen him at Chester, I do also wonder how he will form a partnership with Enoch, given his apparent style of play.

All that said, I am much more optimistic than I was this time last year, provided that we don't stick slavishly to the 4-5-1 formation again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
http://www.givemefootball.com/league-one/tranmere-boss-sets-his-sights-high-for-next-season

Interesting comments by Les. I suppose he has to say this sort of thing but, as many other contributors have alluded, he has got no chance unless he is able to strengthen the squad. There are some decent players and some not so good ones but the simple fact is that it is too thin.

Ridiculous statements really. He would be disappointed if the team aren't in the top six coming Easter. How can he say the squad is stronger than last season after losing Cresswell and Jennings whilst recruiting Vini and OFW. Silly thing to say.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I am amazed Les is talking about the top 6 - I mean I am sure plenty of managers secretly hope they will do it - but making a public statement sets yourself up for a fall - maybe naive on Les' part?

I would love to be in the top 6 but going from 17th finish last season I cannot see it - maybe I am being negative but unless PJ all of a sudden gets his chequebook out, it aint gonna happen. I would take a top half finish after last season and be pleased with that.

Agree with most about the lack of depth. Goodi will inevitably miss games thru suspension, Robbo gets injured quite a lot, as does McGurk. Joss will be suspended etc so we have cause to be concerned about the lack of quality as back up.

But Les will be aware of this but wont want to sign any old rubbish to make up the numbers - as he is biding his time. The closer you get to the start of the season, the more players will have to make a decision where they will be so we will hopefully be in a stronger position: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/sport/tranmere-rovers//tm_headline=tranmere-boss-les-parry-happy-to-play-a-waiting-game-in-transfer-market%26method=full%26objectid=29091929%26siteid=92534-name_page.html

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I guess they have to say this kind of nonsense before the start of the season, every manager does it, but it just makes them look silly. I'd love him to give an honest assessment. Probably wouldn't do much good for morale. LOL

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I guess they have to say this kind of nonsense before the start of the season, every manager does it, but it just makes them look silly. I'd love him to give an honest assessment. Probably wouldn't do much good for morale. LOL

' Starting from September I will be wearing my old shorts again at least until the weather starts to turn. I intend to purchase all microwave meals from Netto next season to try and save the club a little money and will be saving all matches onto a USB stick rather than using loads of DVDs.
On the playing front we have got pretty much the same squad that escaped a relegation dogfight last season and finished the season with the worst home record in 20 years. We have lost our 2 most talented youngsters in Jenno and Cressa and our experienced goalkeeper. We have got rid of a lot of dead wood we had and managed to secure the permanent services of both Weir and Kay after mediocre loan spells last campaign. We have managed to bring back one of our ex players who was once not good enough but after a spell plying his trade in the Welsh Premier League now is and have somehow managed to sign a Brazilian wonderkid. He hasnt really got any experience of playing 11 a side and is more of a 5 a side player but hey he's Brazilian so he must be good. Most importantly after weeks of painful negotiations we have managed to tie Lucas Akins to another contract. Lucas will be pivotal to all our plans next season and will look great playing out wide. We have a few other irons in the fire but to be honest with the quality we have brought in I believe we have sent a clear message to the rest of League 1 and to book makers everywhere where we feel we are likely to finish next season.
I have tinkered with the idea of switching to 442 next season but thought why fix what isnt broken, so we will be going for the 451 formation again next season with the big target man isolated up front. We will crow bar in 3 defensive central midfielders and play 2 strikers out wide. We have been working hard on the training ground on our defensive duties and I am pleased to announce that all defenders at the club now have the ability to kick the ball long down field with a certain Irish man able to kick it the length of the pitch for an opposition goal kick.
If you want to ask me the question of were we will finish next season I would love to say top six in touch with the playoffs but lets be honest we are going to be lucky to get into the top half of the table with the squad we have and the liklihoods are we will be flirting with relegation for at least a part of the season. I can promise you this though, I will at every opportunity try and bring in as many loan players as is permitted to confuse both the opposition and the supporters. Here's to another season of piss poor football and massive disappointment.'

M

Mal

How negative. We have a good foundation, and les is waiting for available players to lower their wage demands, which is likely as supply outstrips demand. He has, apparently, a number of premiership/championship loanees as backup if the perms don't materialise. Last year was a lot of team building and chopping changing. I think we will be in the top half at least. Time will tell.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Alan Mahon , very honourable man-thing and quit his contract today

too free up wages for new talent.

Not many people would do that imo.

thank god he was,nt a scoucer.
=D>=D>=D>

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Team spirit is #1 importance. If you go through a smattering of players from the John King era that we signed from youth or non-league: Higgins, Vickers, Nolan, Thomas, Martindale, etc etc very few were top-drawer individual players and nor would you expect them to be --- but their team spirit was undeniable.

If the buzz coming across from the players and staff this pre-season is anything to go by, the current crop are bonding as a team and as supporters we have to hope that translates well onto the pitch.. and support the lads in everything they do on the pitch. I really believe we the fans have a big part to play too and can help enormously with our love and support!! The same way as we're looking at them to perform - the players do appreciate and spark off our support and encouragement.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
How negative. We have a good foundation, and les is waiting for available players to lower their wage demands, which is likely as supply outstrips demand. He has, apparently, a number of premiership/championship loanees as backup if the perms don't materialise. Last year was a lot of team building and chopping changing. I think we will be in the top half at least. Time will tell.

ideally we would have our squad actually in place before the first game of the season though, eh. like most other teams do. i mean, since people are going on about team spirit and all that.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Bunny Bell - that gave me a few chuckles !! And apart from one bit about Kay having a mediocre loan spell (overall I thought he did ok), the rest does have some elements of truth.

But - we do have some reason for optimism now we have Robbo and did have a good record against the better sides last season. You never know but at this stage, I am sure the bookies will have us as one of the relegation favourites.

I still think Les must be mad though even thinking of the top 6

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
les says in the daily post today that fon williams is not repsonding to treatment and might miss the start of the season, les has spoken to liverpool about loaning a keeper not sure if that would be brad jones or an untried youngster

drwhoman

TRANFERS

On keepers, I hope it is Brad Jones. Gulaci has gone to Hull and Hansen the next in line did not look to flash when he played for Liverpool in Malaysia. Palmed an innocuous looking low centre right to an attacking player who duly scored! Jones will be looking for a new club now Doni has been signed from Italy as the deputy to Reina but it certainly will not be Rovers! I will be a lot happier when I see some reasonable signings announced on the club website. While some of the comments made by Bunny Bell were a bit harsh there was definitely a lot of truth in much of what he said. Signing Brazilian futsal players is a real punt. We need more savvy than that.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Why cant we ever get a keeper of our own to play games !!

Cant see it being Brad Jones - he was well thought of at Middlesboro and will be on decent wages at the reds well past what we can afford, even if they help us out.

Hope I am wrong tho

Player
Jimmy Harvey
The Brazilian lad is also crocked and will not play any part in the rest of pre season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
he cant play anyway if fit as hasnt got the necessary permit yet

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
he cant play anyway if fit as hasnt got the necessary permit yet

Yet?

I just cant see how he is going to get a permit anyway. Whether he has a Brazillian passport or even a US one. Clearly its not a Portuguese one as he wouldnt need a permit at all then. Given that he's just finished college im wondering if hes looking for some kind of student visa! Studying while hes playing for us like that Irish winger whos name has escaped me did a good few years back (Billy?). Otherwise I just can't see what our argument to the Home Office will be.

On another point (Ive been away and just reading through the threads), is the reason we are giving game time to players who we apparently cant afford simply that the nearer we get to the start of the season the lower their wage demands will get? Cant see the likes of Raven (who ive never been a fan of anyway) being in huge demand.