• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer rumours

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Studying while hes playing for us like that Irish winger whos name has escaped me did a good few years back (Billy?). Otherwise I just can't see what our argument to the Home Office will be.
Billy Woods, the Irish legend. :roll:

drwhoman

Transfers

Agree re Raven. He chose Carlile over us last time and has now been let go by them. Not a big endorsement. As regards Mahon, I am pleased he and the club have parted on an amicable basis although there will have been a financial sweetener of some sort. Partial payment of his final year or something - anyway I am sure we will have saved some money. As regards our Brazilian friend - who knows! I cannot believe that the issue has not been fully investigated. If not, then it only confirms what one or two contributors have said about the quality of management. I just hope there are no forged documents floating around!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Enoch Showunmi

Not worth starting a brand new thread, but I notice the BBC are saying we have turned down three bids from Notts County for Enoch. The last was over £100,000. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tranmere_rovers/default.stm

I'm pleased we haven't just taken the money. I don't know how much Enoch is worth, but replacing him would not be easy. It shows we need to look after our key players and not let their contracts run down.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
They're stupid for leaving it this late. Think we would have sold at the start of the summer.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Apparently they have offered to treble his wages - so you couldnt blame him for going with only a year left on his contract, but as Sonko says, he is a vital player for us coz of the style Les plays

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Apparently they have offered to treble his wages - so you couldnt blame him for going with only a year left on his contract, but as Sonko says, he is a vital player for us coz of the style Les plays

I don't know so much - he's huge but can you remember him scoring more than one or two headers? or winning many flick-ons?

I just think we'll struggle to replace with like-for-like on such short notice, and we don't have many options up front as it is.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We've turned down 125k...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yep. We don't want to be selling our best players, and considering we have lost Jennings and Cresswell, I'm glad they rejected the offers. We loose Enoch, we really would struggle up front and to replace him.

Player
Goodison
There's nothing to gain from selling Enoch as we have money from Jennings and Creswell. Plus money gained from selling Enoch would be spent on a (probably inferior) replacement.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Well, he's not that good. It's not as if his £125k market value will be retained beyond his contract as he'll leave at the end of the season, so it's money now or nothing next summer really. Will Enoch being here, one way or another, help the club turnover an extra £125k? Not really.

I would be very tempted to sell provided we had some sort of replacement lined up on a 2 year contract, but it's a little late in the day for that now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Enoch is central to the system we play but if we were to offer him a contract and he doesnt sign it then we need to sell him

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Enoch is central to the system we play but if we were to offer him a contract and he doesnt sign it then we need to sell him

No way he'll sign. And in what way is he central to the system we play? Other than in that he literally plays through the centre...

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
he is central because we only play 1 up front and that man needs to be big stong mobile aand able to put himself about to good effect

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Mart. If Enoch went, there is no way the 4-5-1 formation could function properly, and, rightly or wrongly, we don't have a plan B in place. Tyriaki could play on his own up front, but almost certainly would not score enough goals, and it is difficult to see where else in the side the goals would come from.

Selling Enoch now without an equivalent replacement in place could be the difference between mid table security and relegation, and if we went down the club would certainly lose more than £125k.

drwhoman

nick wood

On a point of information - Nick Wood has signed a short term contract with Mansfield in the Conference.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
His height is a rather deceiving trait, he wins nothing in the air. He'd be almost exactly the same player if he were 6 foot tall. He's quick and he puts himself about, and chips in with a few goals without being prolific.

He's an important player obviously but unless he signs a new contract he isn't worth £125k to us as an asset imo...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If Notts County had offered us £125K at the start of pre-season, then it would have been worth taking, but arguably that point has passed now. The value of Enoch's goals last season in keeping us up, if repeated, would outweigh any financial gain from the sale. However presumably there are still some decent strikers without any club, who could come in and do a job, once match-fit

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whilst my opinion of Enoch differs from SonkORLY's, I certainly agree with this:

No way he'll sign

I think once his contract is up, he'll be moving on leaving us with the inevitable dilemma. How do we replace him with similar quality when we aren't prepared to spend money on players? We might be thinking too far ahead at the moment but I do think that time will come.

I worry more because of the recent activity in this area. Even with the sale of Jennings, if all we can do is bring in a non-league striker and a guy who plays 6-a-side in Brazil, we might have a huge problem ahead.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I stick by my opinion we are right not to sell without an adequate replacement. It would also have a bad effect on morale. My only concern is if Enoch turns out to be another ITM and spends half a season whinging. But I think he's more intelligent than that. It will be interesting to see how he plays at Meadow Lane next week.

I predict he might move on in January (but maybe not to Notts County) after Les has had a chance to find a replacement.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
The value of Enoch's goals last season in keeping us up, if repeated, would outweigh any financial gain from the sale.

11 league goals? We're hardly talking Hume, Haworth, Dadi, Greenacre calibre here...he's just a competent league one striker. Don't get me wrong, I think he's good, but there are so many more like him. £125k is quite a lot for a player of his ability who is free to leave at the end of the year.