• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Certain players just fit in at certain clubs, even when they’ve been at the same level at other clubs but don’t do well.
I'm hoping that about Monster Manny, but also remembering recently the likes of Lee Vaughan when considering Caprice. Unwanted by Cheltenham but what a great job LV did for us.
The lower divisions are full of misfits and apart from a few exceptions the Chinese proverb is appropriate - " every pot will find it's lid".
There you go, comment and culture in one post.
And my emoticons still aren't working!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Some rumours we have had a bid rejected for Danny Rowe. He’s 29 I think so like cookie I guess a move to us could be his last chance of playing at a level he’s not been at before.

His goal record is fantastic of course but he’s totally different from Cook. He’s big framed but not a battering ram like cookie was. Whether he could cut it at league 2 remains to be seen but apparently the clubs are far apart in terms of the fee
It is suggested that Fylde want 150,000 for him, a figure we won't match. Within reason, we should really push the boat out to sign Rowe. I actually think he is a better all round player than Cook and is more likely than Andy to succeed at a higher level. He is certainly more skilful and better able to drop into midfield.

He is not a conventional target man, but I don't think Mellon really likes those kind of players anyway.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rowe is 29 in January and has a year left on his Fylde contract. He’s done so well for them I’m sure they wouldn’t let his possible only chance of league football be denied. Within reason of course. Maybe we should have tried to give them Alabi or mangan in return plus cash, or even Waring

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would imagine Fylde think they can go up this season and don't really need the money from selling Rowe.

drwhoman

The Fylde ownr has got lots of money so this is not an issue. I saw an article (Rovers Rearguard?) which suggested that Dave Challinor would not stand in his way should he wish to leave. His age is probably an issue for both him and Fylde. He might want to challenge himself at a higher level while they will be thinking of younger alternatives for the longer term.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
I'd be chuffed if Rowe signs and agree with RLC in that he is a better footballer than Cook. Given chances he'll score goals at L2 level without question and I think he's exactly the player we should be seriously pursuing! Come on MP get that cheque book out (does anyone have those anymore ).

Player
Manager
John King
He is following us on Twitter apparently, although I can't see it as he has a private account.

It will be a bit of a let down if he does not sign after all of this !

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rowe would potentially be a great signing but not without risk as per my last post. He is unproven at league level, as are most of our current players. But if we are to make further progress next season, we need to improve the squad. As of now, I'd say our squad is no better than last season and arguably slightly worse. On that basis, mid-table would be the best we could hope for. Given the noises from MP, I am expecting a couple of marquee signings by the end of the transfer window.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
They won't want to be lumbered with an unhappy player all season either.
What’s to say Rowe is unhappy and keen to move? He’s probably on a decent wage for NL at Fylde. I’d be pleased if he did join us, because the risks BBTC raises are probably worth taking on a player like him. Though there might still be a need for another forward to function as a target man?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What’s to say Rowe is unhappy and keen to move? He’s probably on a decent wage for NL at Fylde. I’d be pleased if he did join us, because the risks BBTC raises are probably worth taking on a player like him. Though there might still be a need for another forward to function as a target man?
I've seen him quoted as being ambitious to play in the EFL, so if we can match his wages he'll be keen to move as there's no guarantee AFC Fylde will get promoted next season and time is not on his side. I am sure if Micky does sign him, he'll be first choice alongside Nors and Mullin, so I'm not sure there is any room for another forward.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Just seen that Bucko has undergone a double hernia operation.
That will have had some bearing on Caprice signing.
I'm too lazy to check but wonder what the stats are for Rowe's goal ratio home and away.
I see he played under MM at Fleetwood.

Player
Manager
John King
What’s to say Rowe is unhappy and keen to move?
Nothing, but as Sparky says above, if a Football League club comes in for him at the age of 29 and Fylde thwart his ambitions, it is surely reasonable to guess he would be unhappy ? I am just not sure why you are certain the rumours are groundless ?

I don't think Mellon likes conventional target men that much, and I am not convinced he will be looking for another Cook-type striker. He preferred Stockton to Cook when he was here when we were playing a 532 with Vaughan at wing back, and I think it is that kind of fluid style he favours.

Player
Manager
John King
As of now, I'd say our squad is no better than last season and arguably slightly worse.
I can't really agree with that. Setting aside the Cook / Rowe situation, we have brought in Banks, Ellis and Mullin who are all an improvement on the players we had in their respective positions last season (Hughes (although I was a big fan of his), McEverley and Mangan) and we have moved out most of the deadwood who were never going to feature for us anyway.

In addition, we have retained all the other key players we wanted to keep (Davies, McNulty, Jennings) and the only other major loss has been Clarke, who did not play much last season anyway.

The squad is lower on numbers but undoubtedly has more quality in my view.

Player
aldo
cant see that happening . we are not gonna throw silly money at him . so prob best move on an go else where . or if they want throw rover the dog in as part of the deal :eek: lol

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just seen that Bucko has undergone a double hernia operation.
That will have had some bearing on Caprice signing.
It's a shame this wasn't picked up earlier, as AB likely to miss some/most of pre-season.
Nothing, but as Sparky says above, if a Football League club comes in for him at the age of 29 and Fylde thwart his ambitions, it is surely reasonable to guess he would be unhappy ? I am just not sure why you are certain the rumours are groundless ?

I don't think Mellon likes conventional target men that much, and I am not convinced he will be looking for another Cook-type striker. He preferred Stockton to Cook when he was here when we were playing a 532 with Vaughan at wing back, and I think it is that kind of fluid style he favours.
I find the rumours that we've made an offer for Rowe entirely plausible, but don't know enough of the player to assess his likely response to our offer and whether he'd mentally down tools if it was rejected. I think you're right about Micky's preferred striker type, but if the need arose I'm unsure if any of Rowe, Norwood or Mullin could fill that (target man) role.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Buxton does have his share of injuries to be fair. Disappointing he won’t have a pre season as he needs to be as fit as he can