• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Interesting but I think we are now in a position to say no to these offers.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There is no way we would sell him, but I suppose clubs hope they can unsettle players by making bids and then get the agents involved.

Wallace has left us apparently, which I think is the right decision from our point of view.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure we need another central midfielder if MM intends to play 442 again next season.

I think we need a wide man and another striker, and that will be it in terms of permanent deals. We will probably make a couple of additional loan signings to bolster the squad.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
We’re one shy for sure, at minimum, unless a decent loan is secured which I’m always nervous about anyway...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We've paid money for Monthe, as he was still under contract, yet given him just a one year deal. If, as I believe, he'll mainly be a squad player rather than regular starter, interesting that we're in a position to pay a fee for a player in that role.

Alabi might do a decent job for Orient. Not convinced he could deliver at this level, but if his new club play to his strengths he could do well for them.

Wallace training with someone else. Good luck to him, but his return didn't really work out and Rovers should move on.

For continuity I'd like to see Norburn stay and feel his game may be better suited to this level than NL. If Shrewsbury's bid is good enough, it will be considered, likewise if the news of the offer has an unsettling effect.

I'm with MH, another central midfielder needed, along with the positions RLC highlights as needing cover.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm sure showing interest and making bids for players is just part and parcel of football. There was probably a fair bit of interest in Norwood too! I can't imagine Shrewsbury would be making crazy offers too good to turn down. Years ago, we would struggle to say no, but times are changing and we are building, not selling.

We were unlucky with Cook. We matched what Walsall were offering but the chance to play in a higher division clinched it.

Was hoping Wallace might have been given a pre-season but in fairness, it was a very slim hope that he would even make it through that. I think only Sparky and myself were Wallace stalwarts but like Boz says, we move on.

I think now we have stepped up a gear, we need players like Monthe, able to step into a variety of positions and do it well. I'm really happy with the recruits so far.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm sure showing interest and making bids for players is just part and parcel of football. There was probably a fair bit of interest in Norwood too! I can't imagine Shrewsbury would be making crazy offers too good to turn down. Years ago, we would struggle to say no, but times are changing and we are building, not selling.
I agree completely. The offer for Norburn would probably have to be in the hundreds of thousands of pounds before we would consider it, and Shrewsbury don't have that kind of money to spend on what (for them) would be a squad midfielder.

Mellon will be loathe to upset the current midfield. The whole recruitment strategy this summer has been based on continuity and Norburn worked really well with Banks and Jennings when they featured together last season.

Player
Manager
John King
We've paid money for Monthe, as he was still under contract, yet given him just a one year deal.
I think this suggests MM still has some doubts. All of the star players from the level below, or the established League Two players we have brought in, have been offered two year deals.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
MM's strategy of keeping the momentum going by trying to retain the successful players from last season but also making some improvements is working well so far. Of the ten players who finished at Wembley, seven are still with us. We made great efforts to keep Cook and Clarke, while Hughes went home to semi-retirement. We also narrowly failed to keep Ginnelly. However, Banks has been enticed back and I feel Ellis and Mullin are very good additions. I still feel we need more cover for midfield and need another forward. I accept it's unlikely we will sign a Cook replacement.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It’s been a busy few days at PP with Devarn Green now leaving and joining Southport.

Agree about Wallace. Time for him to go. Will be interesting how he gets on

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It’s been a busy few days at PP with Devarn Green now leaving and joining Southport.
Yet another of Micky's signings has gone. I just hope our manager has more success this summer than last. Not that it would be difficult. ;)
We are now down to six midfielders, even if you include CJ. Not enough, if we play 442.

drwhoman

I was only just thinking that MM might be considering trying Green. Obviously not! As others have said, we need more incomings. See how the trialists fare,

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Wallace is training with Fleetwood. Interesting.
A bit disappointing. Over two spells, we've paid him at least two years' sick pay. At the end of each contract, he's walked away. This club has done a lot for his career, while he's shown a selfish lack of respect.

Player
aldo
green gone to southport what a wast of money that was . we didnt give him a fair chance the dead wood being moved on . hoping more good additions coming in

Player
aldo
yes agree with you WALLACE can go an fk himself we have done everthing to get him going but he just wants to go . let him go will prob be injured again soon .we can do and will do better than sick note . thats twice we have gave him a chance and twice we have got burnt .rant over