• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
General consensus from Swindon supporters is that his work rate is very good whilst not quite the finished article.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought Monthe was still under contract at Forest Green? Maybe good enough to be a squad player at this level.

Pleased and a little surprised that Pilling's signed up for another year.

Mullin shouldn't be seen as a Cook replacement, as discussed earlier here, we may be unable to replace Cookie at all. However he seems to have a good attitude and perhaps unfortunate that his face didn't fit or the system changed when permatan took over at Swindon. Think this has the potential to be a good signing and hope it works out.

Waring apparently training with the youth team, so the answer to CKs question would seem to be no.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mullin looks a very good signing, if you don't assume he'll be used as an out and out striker. I presume MM is still looking for a targetman / striker in the Cook mould. If not, we'll need to adapt our style and formation, going more towards our first season in the NL with effectively just Nors upfront. That could be what happens and could work if Cole, Tollitt, Mullin, Jennings and Norburn are asked to play further forward in support of Nors.

I am delighted but quite surprised that Luke Pilling has signed another deal. I'd like to think he decided that being number two at Rovers is no worse than what he'd have got at any other league club. I would expect him to kick on and challenge Scottie next season.

Monthe looks a very clumsy player but can be very effective. He was incredible at Wembley, especially when marking Andrade. He plays with enthusiasm and can slot in anywhere along the back, which makes him a useful squad player.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
to have two little terriers up front who will run them the defenders ragged if mullin puts in as mutch as norrs does then im more than happy . ten goals out wide get him up front and sees them flourish . give the boy a chance

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Monthe looks a very clumsy player but can be very effective. He was incredible at Wembley, especially when marking Andrade. He plays with enthusiasm and can slot in anywhere along the back, which makes him a useful squad player.
Entirely agree.
If we're are looking for defensive cover then happily see him back.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
MM has said that he wants to.play with two strikers, so I don't think we have signed Mullin to use him out wide.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
MM has said that he wants to.play with two strikers, so I don't think we have signed Mullin to use him out wide.
We could really see Mullin bloom this season playing a forward role alongside Norwood.

M

Mal

All debate about players aside, I am really looking forward to the new season.... My annual bet on them being champions will be 30th on the trot. That is 30pints I have lost out on in that time

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You’ll be getting closer Mal as we are on the up! Yes, really excited for the new season. It makes a refreshing change to have gone upwards this time around and a new challenge awaits!

frenchrover

Player
aldo
And I see Alabi has signed a permanent deal with Orient for an undisclosed fee......I guess that means we'll never know how much we paid them ;)

M

Mal

'The Club are pleased to announce the signing of forward James Alabi for an undisclosed fee from Tranmere Rovers on a two-year contract.
The 23-year-old started his career at Stoke City, where he enjoyed loan spells at Scunthorpe United, Mansfield Town, Forest Green Rovers and Accrington Stanley before making the move to Ipswich Town in 2015.
The Southwark-born striker scored on his debut in the League Cup win over Doncaster Rovers, but made no other appearances before joining Chester FC.
It was at the Blues where Alabi had his best career spell to date, scoring 18 goals in 46 games in the 2016-17 season as he helped keep the Cheshire side in the National League before completing a move to Tranmere Rovers for an undisclosed fee.
Alabi told leytonorient.com, “I’m buzzing to get it over the line. It was an easy decision for me and I can’t wait to get going… My ambition is to get as many goals as I can, and the biggest ambition for me is to get this Club promoted back to the Football League."
Head Coach Justin Edinburgh said, “He’s got a lot of attributes that you look for in a new signing. First and foremost, his work ethic is excellent, while physical attributes are a big positive. He’s got pace and power and is a good finisher.
“The Club were interested in signing him last season but I believe the fee got in the way so when we were made aware of his availability, we jumped at the chance. We saw off a lot of competition to sign him and once I had met with him face-to-face, I had no hesitations”

Alabi will be wearing the 27 shirt next season'

and this from Chester https://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/...-news/chester-fc-could-benefit-after-14829803

I was unaware that the tribunal ordered Tranmere to pay Chester £22,500 plus 15% sell on....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks Mal.

Well that's more dead wood gone.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Also now confirmed..

Manager Micky Mellon said: “I’m delighted to welcome Manny back to the club on a permanent contract.

“We saw what he was capable of last season during his loan spell and how well he adapted and fitted into the squad.

“I’m really pleased to have him as part of the group again for next season.”

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
More good news with these two deals. I am not totally convinced by Monthe but he is a decent squad player. I have got nothing against Alabi but I am amazed there was so much interest in him and I doubt he is good enough for Orient. What are others seeing that we missed ?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Two good bits of business there.
And Alabi can't come back to haunt us next season.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Its all about building a squad for me next season, which MM seems to be doing well. with the players he has brought in. There is no guarantee that Cook would be able to score the same amount of goals in the EFL as he did in the NL, only time will tell I guess.

Happy with the way the squad is shaping up, a couple more signings to come I think.

Player
ian goodison
I took a shine to monthe when we played ebbsfleet and it kicked off with the harris incident and when their goalie tried to get involved monthe went in and made sure got no further, he seemed a team player he also played a blinder at wembley

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The Monthe signing has been generally positive. His performance at Wembley probably still fresh in our minds. Let's hope he keeps up that level of intensity.