• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

drwhoman

Sadly, if you have any half decent young player these days you will not keep them. Agents are one issue but scouting nets at more senior clubs are wider these days and money is there down the pyramid given the desire of the rich, British or foreign, for a plaything. Thus, they can offer attractive terms. The Palioli are wealthy but not rich I think. Fleetwood have a rich owner?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Chesters Young midfielder tom Crawford joins Notts county

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’d say at least we are building the right way. Getting the foundations laid instead of being bankrolled by a wealthy owner which I don’t think helps long term.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Chesters Young midfielder tom Crawford joins Notts county
Chester for all their problems have still managed to maintain a decent youth set-up, they also sold Sam Hughes to Leicester last season. Wonder if we can learn any lessons off them in that area?

Meanwhile, pleased Jay Harris has signed on for another season. He's contributed enough to have earned that chance and did surprisingly well in a makeshift full-back role.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Chester for all their problems have still managed to maintain a decent youth set-up, they also sold Sam Hughes to Leicester last season. Wonder if we can learn any lessons of them in that area?
We have just sold Clarke to Fleetwood and Pilling may yet find a higher level club. Power moved on to a Championship club only recently. So I don't think we have fared any worse than Chester.

With regard to Harris, I am glad he has signed. I doubt he will start many games next season but he is a useful player to have in the squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Harris has a great attitude. He just wants to play football and will happily play in any position. His work rate is also impressive. Pleased we’ve kept him.

Player
Manager
John King
Harris has a great attitude. He just wants to play football and will happily play in any position. His work rate is also impressive. Pleased we’ve kept him.
I agree. The antithesis of Baxter, as while he is not the most talented in the world, we know what we will get from him every week.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We have just sold Clarke to Fleetwood and Pilling may yet find a higher level club. Power moved on to a Championship club only recently. So I don't think we have fared any worse than Chester.
It's 3 years since Max Power left, though agree that Clarke and Pilling have also come through the ranks. However, Chester still seem to have kept some sort of academy set-up for younger players, whereas Rovers have abandoned that for some sort of nebulous arrangement largely based around trying to develop other clubs older teenage cast-offs. Historically some of our better players have come through a similar route, so nothing wrong with that, but Chester aren't flush with cash, so whether Rovers could follow a similar model is a question worth asking. I don't know exactly what the Chester set up is.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't know what Chester's arrangement is either, but it is a bit harsh to suggest we did not consider all options given how much importance Palios placed on the academy when he took over. Stockton also went to Hearts in the period referred to. The Chester players mentioned will have been signed up some time ago, so there is no conclusive proof they are doing any better than us now.

Player
Manager
John King
Strong rumours now that Ginnelly has signed and Big Mac has gone to Fylde.

I am a massive fan of Steve and have defended him many times on here. However, if he goes it might not be such a bad thing. At a higher level, age probably would catch up with him in the next year or so and we would have to find a replacement sooner or later. Perhaps it is better to be making those adjustments now, rather than halfway through a season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If Fylde have offered him decent money and a 2 year deal then who can blame him. I think he would have been ok at L2 level. He captained Luton to promotion and whilst it was some time ago, I doubt he was quick back then. He’s always been slow.

With Sutton, Ellis and Gumbs we have some cover but would need another body in. Someone who can organise.

Ginnelly will be a good signing as we need pace and width

Player
Manager
John King
I think he would have been ok at L2 level. He captained Luton to promotion and whilst it was some time ago, I doubt he was quick back then. He’s always been slow.
I agree. I would be happy for him to stay, but at least it feels natural to lose a 34 year old rather than one of the younger players.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Just looked at Wigan's retained list and I noticed Ex Tranmere loanee defender Donervon Daniels has been released by Wigan. Made 40 odd appearances in League 1 - although has had injury issues last couple of seasons, but was at Rochdale on loan this year - not sure how he fared. Also they released Alan Stubbs' son (also a centre back)- but too young I fear.

Player
Manager
John King
We are now being linked with Paul Mullin, a striker at Swindon. Apparently we tried to sign him last summer as well.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes we were linked with him last year. His record at morcambe wasn’t great (his best league season saw 9 goals), and I think he got 6 goals all season at Swindon in league 2 which doesn’t set the pulse racing.

He’s nothing like Cook. More of a poacher type and not a target man. I’m not convinced but trust in Mickey. Another local lad too

Player
Manager
John King
Sparky, I think he is a squad player rather than a Cook replacement. He would cost a fee and it is rumoured we have bids in for him and Rowe.

The Swindon fans say he is hard working and seem to rate him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes agree a squad player makes a bit more sense, as assuming we can ship out alabi and Waring we need a replacement for mangan and competition in general.

I suspect he is the hardworking type making up less natural talent than other players.

Rowe is interesting. Again he’s very different from Cook. He’s big but not a typical target man. I suspect less of his goals were headers than cookies. But he does seem to have that natural instinct of being in the right place at the right time. He’s not quick and could be a good foil for Norwood.

Given Fylde have money I suspect he won’t xome cheap. Could it beat the £450k we paid for Shaun teale?!?!

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure we can afford someone like Rowe. Dennis has just Notts County 200,000 and Fylde would want similar money. Anyway, here's hoping.