• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Until we see the squad we'd be operating with and those of our competitors, it's a difficult exercise assessing where we might end up. However, for a bookie setting odds at this early stage, Rovers have lost their leading scorer and not made a marquee signing, so can understand their thinking.
I would guess their knowledge of football below League Two is pretty limited. They have us on the same odds as Macclesfield, despite the obvious difference in resources between the clubs.

drwhoman

I see Jalal has left Macc for Chesterfield. Interesting. So glad we are out of the NL!

Player
aldo
we need a midfilder who can get to double figures in goals . we have been lucky to have had two amazing forwards . this year . but look at the rest connor got 9 .sutton and Norburn got 5 then the rest got 1s or 2s thats all cole only got 3 we need more getting goals if we are to make a fist of it next year

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would guess their knowledge of football below League Two is pretty limited. They have us on the same odds as Macclesfield, despite the obvious difference in resources between the clubs.
Agree about their lack of knowledge, though the difference in resources didn’t count for much last season. Like us, they’ve lost a key player in Whitehead. Jalal is very hit and miss as a keeper. It will be interesting to see if Askey can still make a silk purse from a sows ear at L2 level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
we need a midfilder who can get to double figures in goals . we have been lucky to have had two amazing forwards . this year . but look at the rest connor got 9 .sutton and Norburn got 5 then the rest got 1s or 2s thats all cole only got 3 we need more getting goals if we are to make a fist of it next year
This would be nice, but more important to replace Cook with a reliable striker and to have a striking option available from the bench. Aside from the main pair, think our other strikers got ONE goal between them last season, which is clearly needing improvement.

M

Mal

This would be nice, but more important to replace Cook with a reliable striker and to have a striking option available from the bench. Aside from the main pair, think our other strikers got ONE goal between them last season, which is clearly needing improvement.
One could also say that whilst your main strikers are scoring it isn't a problem........ However, Interestingly, Macclesfield only had one player in top 14 scorers, so having a team that wins 1-0 a lot and shares the scoring responsibility is also useful, which backs up your comment.

Player
Manager
John King
I need to check the names when I get home but don't you think it was a cost decision to offload rather than based on a skills assessment?
I doubt any of those released were good enough to make an impact in the Football League. The outstanding prospects like Clarke and Pilling were kept on.

M

Mal

I doubt any of those released were good enough to make an impact in the Football League. The outstanding prospects like Clarke and Pilling were kept on.
You are the resident expert but I recall a few who did well in a certain end of season 0-0 draw

Player
Manager
John King
You are the resident expert but I recall a few who did well in a certain end of season 0-0 draw
I wondered how long it would be before you started resorting to personal insults. Your sabbatical obviously has not improved your manners.

Yes, a few of the youngsters played well in a meaningless end of season game against Maidstone, but that does not mean they were good enough to take us forward. As I said, the most talented of that group were offered deals by the club.

Player
aldo
look lets take a step back all calm down. we need to trust in the the team behind the team the guys and girlies who work day in and day out with these players . they dont get all of them right . . we will see if eddie does ok with fleet . or will he be moved on . lots of youngsters get shipped out the problem is if you dont have a manager who trusts the kids kingy did. tiz did at exeter and the crewe manager to name a few does . if thats the road the club wanted to go down that road then they need guys like that in . hey ho we got another year of watching ENGLAND getting humilliated again . and lets hope the cheating russians get knocked out early

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There may be more focus on youth now we have returned to the FL but it certainly wasn’t a priority down in the conference. I’d really liked to have kept Clarke as I thought he was a smashing young prospect.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
McNulty being linked with a move to Salford.

I guess if we’ve offered him a 1 year deal and Salford have offered him 2 years on more money than you couldn’t blame him for taking it given it could be his last ever contract.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’d really liked to have kept Clarke as I thought he was a smashing young prospect.
I agree and I'm sure the club made great efforts to persuade him to stay but the problem was that they only gave him a short contract. Perhaps the experience of giving Power, Stockton and Kirby three year deals was fresh in their minds. We only got full value from Max and then he left us anyway when it ran out. Frankly, I don't know what the answer is. Players, or rather their agents, always seem to have the upper hand - even at our level.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I’m not blaming the club at all due to the nature of agents and transfers these days but it would have been nice to see him develop here for a few more years.

I can see McNulty going if he’s offered a better deal, especially a 2-year one.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good old Jay signs up for a year.
Very pleased....feel he still has something to offer us.
Yes, I'm OK with that. Just Pilling and McNulty to decide. I hadn't realised that Steve played for Fleetwood under Micky, so they have presumably good history. But I would expect Steve to be clear about what he wants and if the club can't offer it, he'll be gone. I doubt he'd find difficulty in finding a local club to offer him a two-year deal, especially in the NL. Fylde would be a good fit. However, I really hope he stays.