• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We are being linked with Jay Spearing, currently at Blackpool. He would be a great replacement / upgrade on Harris if we could get him.

M

Mal

just looked up Spearing. Wallasey born and there would be no agent fees. Stats look good.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He certainly used to be a really promising player, but I don't know why he's slid down the leagues so quickly. He's still quite young.

Player
Manager
John King
He certainly used to be a really promising player, but I don't know why he's slid down the leagues so quickly. He's still quite young.
When we played Bolton in pre-season a few years ago he was excellent. I think a lot of it is to do with off the field problems.

Bolton could not honour his contract due to financial difficulties, so he left to Blackpool, which is a bit like going from the frying pan into the fire. They have offered him a deal but obviously have not met his terms either.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think this is the type of player we should be looking at. Someone who has more quality. If we can attract these kind of players, we would set ourselves up nicely for the coming season.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Assuming he doesn't have an injury history like Wallace, and I don't think he has, he's certainly a "name" player that we want us to be linked with.
We're all waiting for some tangible striker rumours though aren't we?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We're all waiting for some tangible striker rumours though aren't we?
Yes, you would hope that is something that is top of the hitlist. Such a difficult position to fill though. Strikers who hit the 20+ goal mark every season are hard to acquire!

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, you would hope that is something that is top of the hitlist. Such a difficult position to fill though. Strikers who hit the 20+ goal mark every season are hard to acquire!
There are rumours today linking us with Danny Rowe, but it is difficult to know what to believe during the silly season.

drwhoman

I always thought Spearing had something going for him a few years ago but he was not quite good enough for the Premier League. He is a local and has always played in the north west so you never know. Always a combative player. He and Banks would be a good pair.

Player
aldo
wow we just got promoted and people are having rants even on the paddock there are some going into negative mode just enjoy people . christ we got 2and a half months yet

M

Mal

given how many players over last few years have joined Tranmere to do nothing but train or recover from injury, I think it is sensible for time to be taken and not panic buy. I am losing track but didn't we let Will Vaulks go and now he is doing well and in the Championship? I was disappointed at the youth we let go as well. I am sure some of them could still do well at Tranmere if they are available

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
It would be great if we could start pre-season with by and large a complete squad.
Then, we will be doing any trialist a favour rather than be seen as desperately trying to make a silk purse out of sow's ear.

Player
Manager
John King
It is interesting seeing some of the early League Two odds, which have us at 40-1 for promotion and predict we will finish 19th or 20th. I don't know how you can have meaningful odds at this stage of the summer, but I would expect us to do a bit better than that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s a difficult one with the youth players because in the conference, youth development takes a bit of a back burner. The only focus is getting out of that dreadful league.

Proving we get a decent striker to partner Norwood, I’d say mid table mediocrity. We need a bit more quality if we are to start making waves in div 2.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought the decisions on the youngsters were correct anyway. Clarke and Pilling offered deals, Gumbs still under contract and Duggan released.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Will Vaulks wasn't given much of a chance by Ronnie Moore who had tunnel vision in respect of what attributes a central defender requires. However in recent times think he's the only example of a player being released by Rovers and making a success of a football career at a higher level.

Until we see the squad we'd be operating with and those of our competitors, it's a difficult exercise assessing where we might end up. However, for a bookie setting odds at this early stage, Rovers have lost their leading scorer and not made a marquee signing, so can understand their thinking.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Vaulks left because of a personality clash with Moore, not because of his footballing abilities. Most of the coaching staff wanted to offer him a longer deal.