• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It wouldn't hurt keeping the website or twitter account updated though, considering all the other stuff that's put on there.
I agree, I was just communicating what I know.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
Just to return to the Maidstone game a couple of season ago, the youngsters who played that day were as follows:

Pilling
Solomon-Davies
Lucy
Ilesanmi
Croughan
Gumbs
Drysdale
Devine
Fleming
Clarke

The players highlighted are either still under contract at Rovers, or were offered deals and have chosen to leave.

That leaves the following:

Solomon-Davies - released this summer, probably correctly based on the performances I have seen.
Lucy - now at Runcorn Linnets in the Evostick League. Last season Linnets were North West Counties League champions, though I am unsure how many games Lucy played.
Ilesanmi - at Llandudno in the Welsh Premier League.
Croughan - unable to trace where he is now.
Drysdale - still with us and apparently offered another contract.
Fleming - at Skelmersdale United in the Evostick League, where he was voted young player of the year last season.

In short, none of the released players give any indications yet that they are good enough for the step up to the Football League, although Fleming in particular seems to have made some progress since leaving Rovers. The outstanding youngsters - Clarke, Gumbs, Pilling - are either still here or have chosen to leave for a club higher up the pyramid.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tom Croughan ended last season at Widnes FC, though think he initially moved elsewhere.

One other youngster to mention Tolani Omotola, who made a debut in our final L2 game (until this August:)) v Bury. Signed for Altrincham but spent the season out on loan, most recently at Loughborough Dynamos.

Their progress after leaving Rovers suggests no major error of judgement in releasing them. The unknown is to what extent they would have developed had they stayed on as full-time professionals at Rovers

Player
Manager
John King
L2 game (until this August:)) v Bury. Signed for Altrincham but spent the season out on loan, most recently at Loughborough Dynamos.

Their progress after leaving Rovers suggests no major error of judgement in releasing them. The unknown is to what extent they would have developed had they stayed on as full-time professionals at Rovers
That is true, but then you could say the same about dozens of players we have released over the years. Resources were obviously limited in the summer of 2017 and there are a couple of players we might have taken a chance on in different circumstances. However, even in the days of Kingy and Warwick Rimmer it was unusual for more than two or three youngsters to be offered a contract each season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ginnelly set to sign for us according to good sources.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
For the time he was with us Ginnelly will only be remembered for Ebbsfleet and for putting his head in the way of of a stray bottle at Wembley.
But I do think he's got something and if he signs it'll be another cog in last season's wheel that doesn't need replacing.
The team, as a group of players, finished on such a high, in such circumstances, that you can't underestimate the comamardery that must surely exist with them and the more we keep on the better.
No doubt we'll find out he's signed for Grimsby which will knock my theory into a cocked hat!

Player
Manager
John King
As CK says, Ginnelly was a bit hit and miss in the regular season but brilliant in the play offs. Hopefully we will see the latter player next season. I am happy he is signing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Younger players are often a bit hit and miss until they feel established and a full member of the squad. He played with confidence against Ebbsfleet, took responsibility and came of age. It was a shame his Wembley experience was so short, through no fault of his own. If we sign him I expect him to be a regular next season.

Player
aldo
yep i agree . would be great seeing him and a fully fit tol on the other wing and nors and connor getting 30 goals each . im dreaming again

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ginnelly will be a good signing for us, only a young lad but has plenty of potential and will improve

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few rumblings of L1 clubs being after Norwood. With Cook already gone, I actually think it would be better to keep James at the risk of running down his contract, as I can’t see any fee being enough to buy a suitable replacement.

Player
Manager
John King
Ginnelly joins Cook at Walsall
Bloody hell, didn't see that coming. I am not convinced he is ready for that level. Has Keates watched anyone other than Tranmere in the last year ? Ginnelly was quiet prior to the play off matches, and the cynic in me wondered if he was playing for a contract elsewhere in those games.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Also surprised at this. Josh has potential and it might work at Walsall, but have my doubts. I don’t recall many crosses from Ginnnelly resulting in goals though, where involved in the build-up it was more by using his pace.

However I am just starting to get a bit twitchy, as much the Norwood rumour as signings we have/haven’t made.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That is quite surprising although I suppose any chance to play at a higher level must be quite appealing. I’m with RLC. He was almost anonymous in the games before the play offs. Good luck to him though.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can't believe the club hasn't tried to offer James a longer, improved deal. The fact he hasn't accepted it is worrying.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
BBTC is right. We lost cookie on a free and I’m assuming that when he had a year left we offered him a new deal. Although maybe not as Cook wasn’t first choice this time last year.

But Nors is crucial given we’ve lost cook. If he has a decent season in L2 then we could lose him on a free too so let’s offer him a new improved 2 year deal.

Agree about Ginnelly. He offered Little up to the play offs

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
But Nors is crucial given we’ve lost cook. If he has a decent season in L2 then we could lose him on a free too so let’s offer him a new improved 2 year deal.
Maybe we have but he might be biding his time to see how the season pans out. If he has another good season and scores goals in division two he’ll have a whole host of offers from other clubs, presumably better than what we can offer him.

Strikers that score goals get to pull the strings as they know they are in high demand.

Last edited: