• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good news. Sounds as if he has just the sort of physique that might work well in the National League.
That's a good point. It's a bit rough and tumble in non league and if he likes to mix it up, that's a good thing.

Good move for the player as I'm sure he's hoping it will revive his career with a bit of stability. Wonder how much we'll see of him?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Would still like a goal poacher type forward but that said, we still have plenty of striker options.

Accrington have signed Erico Sousa today on a 1 year deal but have let ex rover terry gornell leave.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Terry Gornell wonder where he's heading next. He was a bit raw while at Rovers, but seems to have matured into a reliable striker.

Sousa wasn't given much opportunity during his stint with us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sousa was a bit unfortunate as he came in when we'd had some injuries. But once he'd signed most players stayed fit and we were winning games, a bit like collins who came from wolves, just wasn't able to get a chance.

I liked Sousa as he had real pace which Tollit apart, I still don't think we have enough.

As Boz says, it'll be interesting where gornell ends up. Reckon he would score at our level

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Adam Dugdale leaves Eastleigh to come back up north and join Steve Jennings at southport.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Supporters of Waring's previous clubs generally speak highly of him. They describe him as a good technical player, definitely good enough for this level.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

Everton and Stoke is not a bad pedigree. I am sure he got some tips from Peter Crouch!

drwhoman

Considering how well they did last season it is interesting that Lincoln have been signing a number of players. I am slightly surprised they did not give what was a very successful team more of a chance but they obviously feel that they need to go up a level in terms of player quality to survive in Div Two. Taking a lesson from Cheltenham perhaps, who struggled last season.

drwhoman

Last offering for now - honest! It suddenly occurred to me that this guy has a famous name in Rovers history. Tom 'Pongo' Waring, born in Birkenhead, played his first game for Rovers in 1927. He then scored 24 goals in 27 games before being sold to Aston Villa for 4,500. He scored 167 goals in 224 games for them. He returned to Rovers in 1936 and scored 23 goals in 1937-8 when Rovers won the Third Division (North) before their relegation from Division Two the season after. He scored 67 goals in 105 games for Rovers. My father, who followed Rovers in the 1930s, often talked about him. Let us hope the new man does as well!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Terry Gornell wonder where he's heading next. He was a bit raw while at Rovers, but seems to have matured into a reliable striker.
Hard to believe that Terry Gornell is still only 27! He has never been a prolific goalscorer and I doubt he'd be any more successful in the NL. If we can't sign a proven goal poacher, I'd rather we had someone like Waring, who has some potential.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hartlepool have confirmed we are after Amond which would be a great signing however 1. There are league clubs after him 2. We would have to pay a fee and 3. I can't see Pools wanting to sell a prolific striker to one of their promotion rivals. So its highly unlikely we'll sign him.

If not, that leaves Norwood, Cook, Waring & Connor Jennings as striking options.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Hartlepool have confirmed we are after Amond which would be a great signing however 1. There are league clubs after him 2. We would have to pay a fee and 3. I can't see Pools wanting to sell a prolific striker to one of their promotion rivals. So its highly unlikely we'll sign him.

If not, that leaves Norwood, Cook, Waring & Connor Jennings as striking options.
... and Mangan.

Now we've signed Waring, is it less likely we'll go for Amond?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Waring and Amond are different types of forward. That a fee is involved for Padraig wouldn't be a barrier, but for the other reasons Sparky raises, it seems unlikely, though not impossible, he'll end up at PP.

M

Mal

We are still waiting for one or two payers to accept new contracts. Does anyone think there might be some significance that Luke Pilling's details appear in next season's player profiles on the OS, while Lee Vaughan is absent?
https://tranmererovers.co.uk/team/player-profiles/
Wallace was missing from the Wembley programme even though every other contracted player was shown....

i wouldn't trust the OS profiles until a few days before the start of the season!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I had heard rumours that pilling re-signing was just a formality, which might explain it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I had heard rumours that pilling re-signing was just a formality, which might explain it.
Hope so. He's made quite a reputation for himself in the past two months. Made the best NL XI of the week on his first team debut, then voted top goalkeeper of the Toulon tournament. He needs regular games to develop, so will he be happy to sit on the bench all season?

By the way, does anyone know if we are we running a reserve team next season?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think there will be a reserve team BBTC. Pillings had a great summer but it's going to be difficult shifting Davies from that No.1 spot.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lee Vaughan signs for Kidderminster on a 2 year deal.

Bit surprised that he's dropping a level, but I suppose the security of contract and being nearer home are factors.

I'm not sure we need to replace, if playing a flat back four. However if wing-backs remain a consideration, don't think the remaining options save possibly Duggan could fill that role.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit surprised he's gone although I think we'll be fine at the back with our current personal.