• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
So far as Vaughan is concerned, I'm pretty much the same as with Stockton...if he wants to stay great, if not so what.
Don't think we should get paranoid about pace, or lack of it, defensively.
As RLC says, attack wise we should be ok and leaking the odd goal at the back through being skinned should be manageable.
For too long we've been virtually static in the opposition half. We now have players who can move (with or without the ball) at pace.
Much prefer pace up front than at the back.
You won't be surprised to hear that I don't entirely agree with you CK.
Yes, we can manage without Stockton and Vaughan, though if it is true that we only offered the latter a 3 month deal when Micky was prepared to give the injury-prone Wallace 2 years, then nobody can blame Lee for taking a 2 year deal elsewhere.
I think there is a difference between lack of pace and sloth at the back. If the manager is of the view that McNulty's plusses outweigh the minuses, then we do need either someone of Ihiekwe's pace to cover him or to pack the midfield for extra protection. I don't think that we can be reliant on outscoring what we concede.

drwhoman

Three months is a bit odd. If correct, it might reflect a concern as to the long term impact of his injury. I would be very surprised if this were true assuming he is good to go for the future. Rovers might just as well have released him to find a longer term deal somewhere else as it would do nothing for longer term team planning. The latter issue seems important to MM given the number of two year deals that are doled out.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Drwhoman, I think there is an obligation to pay a player's wages until the point of recovery, if they get injured while contracted to you. Lee Vaughan due to resume playing around September. It's unlikely,given the deal he has got with Kidderminster, that there is any major doubt about his recovery. Assuming the journalist who's tweet RLC refers to is correct, I find it surprising that MM was only prepared to offer him the minimum, given Vaughan was a regular in the latter half of the season until his broken leg.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Bench warming at Brentford or bench warming at Tranmere? Tough choices to make.

He will not be 2nd choice at Brentford, Luke Daniels will be 2nd choice he would be 3rd or 4th choice

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Will we get any money given that we have developed him? Or is that only if he has an ongoing contract. For example. I believe Liverpool have to pay Chelsea around 3m for Solanke although I think he was out of contract? The issue is decided by a tribunal of some sort?

As long as we offer him a contract on either same money or more money then we are entitled to compensation unless we was to go to scotland

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He will not be 2nd choice at Brentford, Luke Daniels will be 2nd choice he would be 3rd or 4th choice
Absolutely. It wouldn't be career progression, but may be more money. My ideal for club and player would be a three-year deal with Rovers and a long-term loan to a local NL club who are not serious rivals. If Davies was injured or lost form, we would recall him. Bench warming anywhere is not what he needs at this stage in his career.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Slightly strange that Pilling only signs a 1 year deal. Is he really going to get any action this season given scottys form? I'm assuming the club offered him a longer deal but he only wanted a year.

Going back to cook, plenty of rumours on other sites about his future and apparent unhappiness that his contract doesn't match that of Norwood. Rumours aside, as he only has a year left, shouldn't we be trying to tie him down? Without being over dramatic, without him we can kiss goodbye to any chance of automatic promotion.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure if the Cook / Norwood situation is even a problem. Just rumours circulating. If the team manages to get us out of this league which they couldn't do last season, I'm sure they'll be looking at some nice pay rises.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good news re Luke Pilling. While would have liked it to have been longer, this may suit both parties. Scott Davies' contract runs out next summer, one of the best keepers at this level and the age when goalies are meant to be in their prime, but would he look for another club if we don't go up?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
apparently we are bringing in a centre half and goalie coach this week

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we don't go up next time, I expect a few will want to leave. And it may be that budgets will have to be trimmed, so the squad would be smaller anyway. (Let's not think about that.)

A J W

Player
Ian Goodison
I think it might be do or die season if we fail to go up,we can not afford to stay in this league any longer.

Failure is not an option,we have to win this League this season fan's (some will drift off) and backer's will walk away.

Myself there's no cure at my age to change, I'll still be there in my seat next season but I certainly would be a happier fan with eye's on League One rather than just hoping we can get out of this damn pub league.
I need it ,Tranmere need it and all the SWA require league football.

M

Mal

If/When Tranmere do get promoted, I will miss the friendliness of local supporters and the ability to walk change ends at half time. Mind you, with the amount of ex-League teams dropping down, that is becoming less common. Sutton and Welling were pleasant afternoons apart from the results ;0)

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Chester Chronicle reporting that we are favourites to sign Alabi.
A rumour that spread a while back.
I'm somewhat lukewarm about the prospect.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
And Nicko it is as goal keeper coach.
At least things won't be dull with him around again!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Alabi is an interesting one. Big and strong with a bit of pace but would he come to us in the knowledge that he'll be behind Nors and Cook in the pecking order?? Throw Waring into the mix and also Connor J if we're playing 4-4-2, I'll be amazed if he comes to us, especially as L2 clubs are supposedly after him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wouldn't mind Alabi, so long as it wasn't instead of Cook. More interested to see who the defender we're bringing in might be. Think that will be pivotal to how this season goes.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If/When Tranmere do get promoted, I will miss the friendliness of local supporters and the ability to walk change ends at half time. Mind you, with the amount of ex-League teams dropping down, that is becoming less common. Sutton and Welling were pleasant afternoons apart from the results ;0)
I do see your point, Mal. The fans are incredibly friendly and don't gloat or swear. A welcome change. However, I still prefer the old days when we only went to non-league grounds for the occasional cup-tie. ;)

drwhoman

I know what you mean Mal but I agree with BBTC. When I was not following Rovers years ago, my local team was South Liverpool who played in the Lancashire Combination and later the Northern Premier League. I had a friend who was a huge fan and we had some very pleasant days away around Lancashire and the north. Usually by bus and train as non of us had a car in those days. That did mean that we could assess the local beverages of course! Souths are now sadly defunct. John Aldridge started his career there as did Jimmy Case the old Liverpool player. Last time I was in UK I discovered that the ground is now a bus station!
On a Rovers note, I do agree with AJW. We really need to be promoted this year and so it is vital that we achieve the optimum squad before the start of the season.