• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I share drwhoman's concerns to an extent. I'd have hoped a bit more of our squad building would be done by now. It's around 3 weeks until our first pre-season friendlies and it is to be hoped the bulk of the squad are in place by then. Our competitors appear to be doing a lot of business early and there have been some decent additions to their squads. Although you have to balance that against the fact that we have more players than usual already under contract.

I don't think anyone is taking it as a given that we'll go up.

Wrexham seem to be making some decent signings, but because of the wholescale clear-out of players, they still haven't got that big a squad. Agree with BBTC that they're nowhere near oblivion, but I do forsee some decline in the Rovers support if we can't get back into the football league this season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
the Tom Davies deal from Portsmouth is apparently all but done, we have the majority of our squad in place just a few more additions are needed and im sure they will be sorted in plenty of time for the new season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
the Tom Davies deal from Portsmouth is apparently all but done, we have the majority of our squad in place just a few more additions are needed and im sure they will be sorted in plenty of time for the new season
Could be a good signing. He's from Warrington but has been around a bit and had quite an up and down career. Hasn't been full-time for very long as he went to university. Hopefully he's found the right level at Rovers and will thrive on regular games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If he does join, we might have one of the more educated back fours, as Ritchie Sutton has a degree. Not that it helps much with defensive duties!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If Davies has a bit of pace to compensate for the loss of ihiekwe i think our recruitment is pretty much complete, assuming Vaughan stays.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
My comments regarding Wrexham and 'oblivion' weren't intended to be disrespectful to them.
But I think if after 6 seasons or so you're still in this sh** league then your not far from it.
We've got to get out else we'll soon be equally described as merely in existence, competing etc.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
If MM needs a bit more inside info on Davies then presumably Buxton can provide the same?
Looking at the squad, how many are genuine MM signings? Not many so his track record with us is good!
I think he's found a diamond in Buxton, hopeful Norburn will be similar and happy to trust him with Davies if it happens.
When we stepped out at Wembley I wonder if GB was watching thinking it was mainly his squad?
Hope so.... he'd then contemplate PR and HR courses.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's interesting that Buxton was the only player of those that Micky brought in who generally shone for us. However where MM does have a big advantage, is in the ability to motivate and develop players. Of those who've not moved on, Liam Ridehalgh is probably the best example.

Player
Manager
John King
It's interesting that Buxton was the only player of those that Micky brought in who generally shone for us. However where MM does have a big advantage, is in the ability to motivate and develop players. Of those who've not moved on, Liam Ridehalgh is probably the best example.
Wallace did as well when he was fit. Obviously that was not for long, but we all knew it was a calculated gamble to sign him.

I think Dawson is the only signing who is a certain failure. Mangan might have a better season next year.

If you are comparing Mellon's recruitment to Brabin's you are not comparing apples with apples. Brabin started from a very low base and could bring in players in all areas of the team. Mellon is trying to bring in good quality players in specific areas (sometimes those neglected by Brabin), or to provide competition where we already have good quality, which is a different and in many ways more difficult exercise.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Brabin's strategy both with us and other clubs he managed with decent player budgets was to buy other clubs better players and hope they gelled. We'd assembled a fairly decent squad under him, which Micky inherited and aside from any additions, demonstrated an ability to get the best out of players already here.

Wallace came good towards the end of the season, but there were times earlier on when he was getting time on the pitch that his performances didn't deserve.

Micky hasn't been with us long enough to judge whether he's got an eye for a player, the next year will better equip us to assess his talent at recruiting. However, his man-management has been good and that may be as important.

Player
Manager
John King
Micky hasn't been with us long enough to judge whether he's got an eye for a player, the next year will better equip us to assess his talent at recruiting.

In his time at Tranmere I agree. However, at his previous clubs he clearly demonstrated an ability to recruit and build a team.

At Fleetwood he took a team from Conference North to the Football League. At Shrewsbury he took over a relegated team, changed the playing staff and won promotion back to League One at the first attempt.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My comments regarding Wrexham and 'oblivion' weren't intended to be disrespectful to them.
But I think if after 6 seasons or so you're still in this sh** league then your not far from it.
We've got to get out else we'll soon be equally described as merely in existence, competing etc.
And I hope you didn't think I was being disrespectful to you, CK. But to put the record straight, most teams don't spend long in the NL. Some like York City fall right through. The likes of North Ferriby overreach and get relegated right away. Wrexham have been in the NL for eight seasons, which is longer than anyone else. I don't think they are necessarily going down soon, as they are still well supported and there a lot worse teams. Grimsby and Lincoln took six years to get back into the EFL. Luton Town took a surprising five seasons. It will not be easy for us to go up for reasons already stated, but provided our support does not collapse and our finances stay stable, we should get there before long.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Thanks BBTC.
Without doing an in depth survey, I recall loads of teams yo-yoing between FL and NL in recent years - Cheltenham, Torquay, Mansfield, York and even Shrewsbury all spring to mind.
My worry is that if we don't make our own move very quickly we become deadwood.
But hey, preseason starts on Monday, we look forward rather than backwards and the misery of Wembley fades.
Apart from opening fixture, will look out for the Xmas/New Year double header. Maccs for a third year or perhaps Fylde?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In regard to players, our core squad is strong and we had an excellent season even if the end result was not what we wanted. We only need to tweak certain areas and fill gaps that have opened.

As long as we don't tinker too much, there's no reason why we can't have another excellent season ahead.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with Ian's assessment of squad strength, but there are one or two areas where we still need options, so that if the first choice isn't performing, they can be taken out of the firing line.

On fixtures, it would be good if we had someone different to Macc over the festive period. It won't be Chester or Wrexham, Fylde/Barrow seems a good coupling, so maybe one of the Yorkshire pair. I'd prefer Halifax as should get a decent crowd. Opening game will involve a long distance opponent and I'd prefer an away game as on leave at the time. We'll find out in about 10 days time.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Re my last post, I have just discovered that our friends Forest Green Rovers spent 19 years in the National League (or whatever tier five was called). However, I stand by my general point that nobody stays there very long as incredibly FGR finished twice in the relegation zone and on each occasion avoided the drop because of another club's serious breach of the rules.