• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Going off topic, interesting developments at the club today with Shaw's departure confirmed and four new associate directors appointed. I don't know what all that means in practical terms.

Player
Manager
John King
Matt Jones has confirmed on Twitter that Wirral Live made a loss, hence Shaw's departure.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A loss shows an error of judgement somewhere. Would be interesting to know the extent of it and how the three gigs compared. He also tweets that the club want to have a similar event next year. I'm not so sure about the merits of that

drwhoman

On BBTC comments about FGR I think it might be argued that they were always going to struggle in terms of the NL until Dale Vince arrived in around 2010 (?). He gave them financial stability and hence they were able to recruit a better Manager and players. The annoying thing is that FGR are a wealthy man's plaything whatever he might say to the contrary. Yes- we have Palios, who is not poor, but we do have a long history and tradition.
We still await the two or three signings we need unless MM is going to give several of the younger players a go in pre-season. I would imagine that the likes of Gumbs and Duggan are at such an age that they will either make it or not. They are not scholars any more.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On the face of it, it seems a good idea to use the stadium for this after the end of the season. But you've got to get the right acts, charge appropriate prices and get the tickets sold. I know that sounds obvious, but clearly somebody screwed up with at least one of those.

Player
Manager
John King
I still can't believe that Shaw was just left to get on with it on his own. If he was, you could say it was negligent on the part of the owners.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On BBTC comments about FGR I think it might be argued that they were always going to struggle in terms of the NL until Dale Vince arrived in around 2010 (?). He gave them financial stability and hence they were able to recruit a better Manager and players. The annoying thing is that FGR are a wealthy man's plaything whatever he might say to the contrary. Yes- we have Palios, who is not poor, but we do have a long history and tradition.
I absolutely agree. FGR are at best an advertising tool for Vince, whereas Mark Palios is not intending to lose money in the long run. He wants to turn Rovers into a going concern he can sell on to another responsible owner.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Going off topic, interesting developments at the club today with Shaw's departure confirmed and four new associate directors appointed. I don't know what all that means in practical terms.
I think the new appointments would be called non-executive directors in other companies. I expect their role is to advise the board on its non-football commercial activities and possibly to mentor the full-time staff responsible for the relevant income streams. At least, I think that might make sense.

BTW, the new website looks a lot smarter than the old one although it contains much the same stuff at the moment and will take me a while to get used to. I find it very poor on club statistics. You can't even find out basics like appearance and goalscoring stats.

drwhoman

A good thought BBTC. Just an idea but would there be any point in whitereview contributors compiling a list of what we would like to see on the OW which would then be sent as a submission to the club?

Player
Manager
John King
BBTC, I understand the role of non exec directors, I just don't know what particular skills those individuals bring and why they have been chosen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I see Paul Mullin has ended up at Swindle.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think the website looks nice, but functionality is poor. The front page is too busy and there are awful delays scrolling up and down. Other pages with lesser content are easier to navigate. Bit too fancy for its own good.

Still wondering how Wirral Live made a loss. Tickets sales were decent over the three days weren't they?

frenchrover

Player
aldo
See we've signed George Waring from Stoke on a 2 year deal. A striker at 6' 4'' should be a handful in the box but has only scored 7 in 55 league outings whilst on loan at various clubs. Has played for Micky before at Shrewsbury but failed to score there. Not a niche signings but maybe one to develop?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Waring doesn't set the pulse racing and he didn't get on the score-sheet at all last season. On the books at Stoke and came through the youth system at Everton, so has a reasonable pedigree though. Probably his role will be limited to back-up, a 2 year deal seems a tad generous.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd agree about him being backup. Maybe they see potential in him.

Player
Manager
John King
This seems a decent signing to me. He can provide back up to cook in the target man role, but it is now clear that cook is first choice next season. We have plenty of goals in the team already, waring will give us something different.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree that this is a good signing. He may have had offers from league clubs. It's a bit of a gamble, but less so because Micky knows him and presumably can see potential. He's not exactly prolific, so I don't see him as back-up for Cook, but I think he'll be an impact player, especially initially. As RLC says, he offers something different.

Player
Manager
John King
I think he will be back up to Cook in as much as he plays a similar role, not that he has a great goalscoring record. Although having said that, he has been playing at a higher level so could be prolific in the National League.

drwhoman

Good news. Sounds as if he has just the sort of physique that might work well in the National League.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
competition for places is healthy so hopefully a good signing