• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A bit surprised as I thought we had offered him a deal. I agree with Sparky that Conference North is his level now; physically, he looked past it last season.

A decent player who did not deserve much of the criticism he received at Rovers.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
at his age needs to be playing regular football which he would not have got with us

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Got rid of him finally ..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can't say I'm that surprised as he's never been that loyal to Rovers, having left twice previously. A good player but not a natural leader. He should never have been made captain. Big Steve has made a much better job of it.

I suspect he has been given a longer contract than we were offering. That plus the coaching would make it more attractive.

drwhoman

A decent player on his day who has had a good career. I am a bit surprised we even offered him a contract given his age and fitness level. Coaching is the way to go for him. Good luck. This does mean that we probably need another combative midfielder and ideally a relatively young one.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Always had mixed feelings about Steve Jennings. Partly the lack of loyalty BBTC alludes to, but also the fact that Brabin picked him week after week, regardless of how out of form he was. It is never good for any manager to persist with favoured players in that way. He actually had a better season under Micky, until his knee injury and was reputed to have been given an offer of another contract with us, though the o/s didn't really mention him. Suppose it's the coaching and being close to home which appeals and I wish him all the best at his new club. Though Southport could struggle to stay in NL North next season and can't help thinking he could have done better.

Harris, Norburn, Hughes, Duggan, Connor Jennings at a push though not really a traditional central midfielder. Does that give us enough options in that area or is another required?

Player
Manager
John King
Boz, you missed out Wallace, although both he and Harris have injury issues at present.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Oops, how could I forget Wallace! Probably got adequate cover in that area of the park then.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Let's be honest, we can't rely on Wallace so in my view he doesn't count in the numbers. It's a bonus if he is available. Will be interesting if he can get through a whole pre season programme.

Hughes did look jaded late last season albeit he was excellent early on. Altho another year older hopefully age isn't catching up with him. Duggan is still un proven but a good prospect. That leaves Harris who was immense before his injury and the relatively unknown but hopefully decent for us Norburn. I think we're just about OK for numbers in midfield and like RLC says, Connor J could play there if required.

The rumour mill continues with another current Portsmouth northerner being linked with us. 25 year old defender Tom Davies who may have played with Buxton at Accrington. Under contract but wouldn't cost much and poss seen as a replacement for Ihikwe. Although as Boz would point out, we do have Gumbs, but we do need some pace back there

M

Mal

so... who are the two players Mark Palios said we were bringing in, with one requiring a fee to be paid? I cannot remember who on here went to that meeting where this was mentioned.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think RLC attended but no names were mentioned.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've only seen Gumbs play a handful of times, don't recall any great pace, though obviously faster than McNulty. I agree the main area we need to strengthen is at the back, but don't know if Tom Davies would be the answer. Seems to be fairly well regarded by Pompey fans.

No names for new signings were mentioned as Ian says. My issue was suggesting offers have been made raises expectations and makes you wonder when nobody has signed over 3 weeks on. Much better keeping quiet until a done deal.

Player
Manager
John King
I see orient have just been taken over by the owner of dunkin donuts. Bound to have money to spend now and must be considered a real threat. However, with no senior players on their books they will find it difficult to build an entire squad before 5th August.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm glad that things are looking up for Orient, my local side when I lived in London. RLCs point is a valid one though, they've got hardly any contracted players and most are youngsters. Their team-building and gelling is going to take place during the season. Play-offs at best, but they could be a much more formidable opponent in 2018/9 should we still be in this league then.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It seems more and more clubs around us are being taken over by rich businessmen. If this trend continues, we'll find it harder to get out of this damn league.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Not too concerned about Orient, after all FGR have been minted and it took them a few years to get up, even by back door at our expense.
We've had two seasons now to bed in.
I think it has to be third time lucky else we enter the oblivion eg Wrexham.

drwhoman

Apologies for appearing neurotic but I still think we are a player or two light and I just hope we get some news soon. Maybe it is just me but I am not as positive as some of my fellow contributors appear to be regarding next season. That said, I am sure that MM will be hammering it into the players that last season is history and no longer relevant.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Going a bit tangential here but I am not too concerned. Clearly, promotion is our number one aim and our main hope of salvation. Otherwise, we rely on a good FA Cup run or the sale of an emerging star (eg Dale Jennings) to keep us financially buoyant. Given MP's business acumen and attachment to the club, he is unlikely to let us go under but will be looking to sell the club eventually when it is a going concern.

Re Wrexham, CK, they are still afloat and competitive. They may not be the club they were, but are far from oblivion.

Last edited: