• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stockport (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Stockport

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stockport (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Edgeley Park
Saturday, October 28, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 28, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A lot of teams (but not all), have a new manager bounce but we haven’t because we didn’t have a new manager as such. Adkins will have been advising Dawes before the sacking, perhaps even on the system that hasn’t really changed so is it any surprise results haven’t improved.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Now seen the brief highlights and heard Nigel Adkins post match interview.

The camera angle didn’t help for the first Stockport goal but even if it was offside so tight that you can’t stop defending. A great through ball from them.

Saunders second yellow was a daft challenge to make, if you’re already on a yellow for similar. From comments on this thread, I was expecting something worse than the camera captured, couldn’t tell from the footage who got to the ball first. Adkins thought Saunders did, hence his pat.

The second goal was well created and finished but our defensive work was feeble, allowing them so much space to set it up.

Was it the opener that Adkins was talking about a player not sticking to script on? He didn’t name the culprit.

Maybe not intentional but Adkins comes across as treating the fans as stupid. He didn’t sound at all like a Rovers fan in that interview. His VAR points seem misguided, maybe we were unlucky in the areas he raised, but so were Stockport in terms of shots hitting the woodwork. I’ve not seen or read anything that suggests this should have been anything other than a comprehensive defeat.
The Saunders tackle might not have been as violent as it appeared on first viewing, but it was still absolutely reckless in the context of the game.

I agree about Adkins' interview. Neither he or Palios convey the seriousness of the situation when they speak.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
But that rubs of on the players too. It's just another pay day for most of them and then they'll be off elsewhere when the inevitable happens. Like I've said before, the standards and attitudes around the club stink.

I think my only stand out player this season has been Jennings who always puts in 100 percent. Shame the others can't do the same.

Player
Goodison
Adkins’ interview is probably the most deranged since the one that got Keith Hill sacked. Why on earth is he talking about VAR? Utter nonsense, if he’s talking to the players like that they must be sniggering away and not taking him seriously.

I really dislike how most of his comments sounds like he is a fan or pundit, he basically just talks the whole match back - you wouldn’t know he was the manager.

It doesn’t help the interviewers have obviously got some North Korean style restrictions on them so can’t ask difficult questions.

He’s done nothing to improve things and clearly part of the problem.

Saunders’ challenge was lunacy when not booked, never mind on a booking. Raise your boot above someone’s hip in a challenge and you’re asking for trouble these days.

I genuinely think they could get to December without picking up anymore points at the moment. Desperate times.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Realistically, how many points do you think we'll get from the FGR & Sutton games? I have a feeling it's not going to be many.
Probably draw with FG and lose to Sutton

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
But that rubs of on the players too. It's just another pay day for most of them and then they'll be off elsewhere when the inevitable happens. Like I've said before, the standards and attitudes around the club stink.

I think my only stand out player this season has been Jennings who always puts in 100 percent. Shame the others can't do the same.
Agree about Jennings. I think McGee has done his best and if we’re honest a few of our defeats could have been worse if it wasn’t for him.

As for the rest….

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Agree about Jennings. I think McGee has done his best and if we’re honest a few of our defeats could have been worse if it wasn’t for him.

As for the rest….
The first two names on the sheet, Jenno, McGee.
McGee was not wanted by FGR, And Jenno released after loans, couldn't get anywhere near Stockport first team in the national league. Not wanted by Hartlepool!

What I'm getting at in a roundabout way, is that our best two players, we're not first choice in the league below!
What does that say about the rest?
Obviously a couple of exceptions.
And Jenno with his health scare.

How many actual league two level players have we got?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The first two names on the sheet, Jenno, McGee.
McGee was not wanted by FGR, And Jenno released after loans, couldn't get anywhere near Stockport first team in the national league. Not wanted by Hartlepool!

What I'm getting at in a roundabout way, is that our best two players, we're not first choice in the league below!
What does that say about the rest?
Obviously a couple of exceptions.
And Jenno with his health scare.

How many actual league two level players have we got?
Jennings was offered a new contract by Hartlepool when they went down but chose to join us.

As for the rest, Dennis, Norris, Hendry, Walker, Jennings, McGee, Lewis and Morris all I think have promotion experience from league two so we’re not short of ‘winners’.

That’s why I don’t agree with all these social media posts that say not even guardiola could keep us up. There is talent and experience in the squad but management aren’t getting the best out of them.

That’s why I don’t agree with all these social media posts that say not even guardiola could keep us up. There is talent and experience in the squad but management aren’t getting the best out of them.
Indeed there is, plenty in fact, but there are one or two key gaps that badly need filling. A defensive midfielder with bite being the obvious one. A couple more leaders around the place wouldn’t go amiss either.

For all the whiny reactions every time the manager and chairman open their mouths, their actions speak louder. We saw it with Dawes’ dismissal, and it’s to be hoped, now that Adkins has had a good look at the squad, that we see it in January. Not just a couple of additions to fill these crucial gaps, but also some outgoings to thin out the current numbers. Until then, we have to rely on what we’ve got, so expect the manager to carry on (publicly) cajoling and encouraging rather than (publicly) throwing anyone under the bus for the next couple of months - right now, for the dressing room at least, sticking together will likely serve us better than the alternative.

I know the internet often warps reality but this might have just broken it beyond repair! ;)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
While there have been one or two recruitment issues, particularly at full back, we have a stronger team overall and a larger squad than we had last season. The drop in performance has to be down to management. Micky with McGee, Dennis, Jennings, an older Sam Taylor and a fit Jolley would have got more out of the team, even without an injured Norris.

We very rarely buy players and get most on free transfers. Some (like Dennis) choose to join us rather than accepting a new contract from their existing club, but most have been released and are no longer wanted. That hasn't stopped us picking up a few decent players. Remember a player called Ian Muir? Before he joined us, his CV was rubbish.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
We will obviously try to strengthen in January. However, my concern would be that other than in those seasons when he had FA Cup money which allowed us to bring in real quality, our performance in the January window has been poor.

In the 2014-15 season, the closest situation to the one we are now in, our dealings were actually disastrous and contributed greatly to our relegation. We already have a large squad, and bringing in more bodies if they are not of the right character and quality may actually exacerbate the situation.

Moving the deadwood out to enable us to bring players in will be difficult.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes you think of even the players that are nowhere near the first team like mcalear, Rhys hughes, merrie and Lewis (up until recently). Who is going to want to sign players like them?
Even people like Saunders will hardly have a queue of teams after him.

Who knows. But, once Adkins has decided who he doesn’t want, it could be in the players’ own interests to move on in January to get a sniff of football, even if only on loan. Especially if their contracts expire in the summer.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Who knows. But, once Adkins has decided who he doesn’t want, it could be in the players’ own interests to move on in January to get a sniff of football, even if only on loan. Especially if their contracts expire in the summer.
I would hope we would le to bring in a permanent manager we before January so they can make those decisions rather than Adkins but sadly I don't see it happening

After listening to MP’s interview I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Adkins himself being the permanent manager by then, if he wants it. A bit more water to flow under the bridge before then, mind.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yes you think of even the players that are nowhere near the first team like mcalear, Rhys hughes, merrie and Lewis (up until recently). Who is going to want to sign players like them?
Even people like Saunders will hardly have a queue of teams after him.
Merrie and McAlear have been injured recently, both have had opportunities this season.
Don't understand why Rhys Hughes has been totally frozen out. by Dawes/Adkins. Who was on set piece duty yesterday, with Hendry banned? Don't think Regan has enough variety to take nearly all our free-kicks and corners.

Player
Manager
John King
Merrie and McAlear have been injured recently, both have had opportunities this season.
Don't understand why Rhys Hughes has been totally frozen out. by Dawes/Adkins. Who was on set piece duty yesterday, with Hendry banned? Don't think Regan has enough variety to take nearly all our free-kicks and corners.
Walker took the set pieces yesterday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While there have been one or two recruitment issues, particularly at full back, we have a stronger team overall and a larger squad than we had last season. The drop in performance has to be down to management. Micky with McGee, Dennis, Jennings, an older Sam Taylor and a fit Jolley would have got more out of the team, even without an injured Norris.

We very rarely buy players and get most on free transfers. Some (like Dennis) choose to join us rather than accepting a new contract from their existing club, but most have been released and are no longer wanted. That hasn't stopped us picking up a few decent players. Remember a player called Ian Muir? Before he joined us, his CV was rubbish.
Think of our current squad we've paid fees for Merrie. Jolley, Saunders and Walker, unsure about Hawkes and O'Connor.

I think that the squad that started the season was an improvement on the one last season and you're right about our likely prospects had we still got Micky managing. Although I have been disappointed with Dennis, even making allowances for not playing to his strengths.

I agree that some of our best players like Muir have come as discards from other clubs.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Walker took the set pieces yesterday.
That was a minor thing that annoyed me from Saturday. I know he’s decent on the ball but Walker probably our tallest player and he’s taking corners!
Surprised none of say Apter or Saunders could have took one.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Regardless of my post, I think that those players are not playing to league two standard. And the management has been worse!

The writing is on the wall, and until the fat lady sings, this is what we have to put up with!

The fireworks weren't bad! I mean the fireworks display at PP!