• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stockport (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Stockport

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stockport (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Edgeley Park
Saturday, October 28, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 28, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This Saturday sees a trip to in form Stockport and given our away record so far, and the form of the hatters, it is highly unlikely we’ll pick anything up. Dave Challinor’s side lost in the play offs last season and despite a slow start when Challinor was apparently interviewed for the Charlton job, Stockport have won an incredible 10 games in a row in all competitions and sit 2 points clear at the top of the league. In 15 league games they have won 10, whereas in our 15, we have lost 11.

Challinor’s stock will have never been higher and it is looking likely he’ll have another promotion on his CV, unless a bigger club comes calling for him.

Squad wise they have a lot of experience and ability at this level in defence and midfield, and have pace and goals up front. Ex Sutton striker Olafe is in good form and the only downside for Stockport was top scorer Louie Barry going off injured in their impressive win at Crewe on Tuesday with a hamstring problem. The hatters strength in depth though meant they could bring on Kyle Wooton, back from injury who scored against Crewe (and also against us in our dismal defensive display at Edgeley Park last season).

Like last season I’ll be making the short trip and if the commitment and organisation etc are the same as at Morecambe on Tuesday, then we have a very slim chance of picking up something. The problem is Stockport are a lot stronger than Morecambe and you’ll get very good odds for us to pick up a win (or even a draw).

As for Nigel I’ll be once again annoyed if he persists with 4-3-3 but I think he will. I’m a big fan of Dennis if played in the right system but he isn’t so perhaps Jolley would be worth a start. Even if Norris is back I think he’ll be on the bench. Hopefully Walker can start again but if not I’d expect Lewis in that holding role. Hendry suspended so Morris may come back into midfield meaning Apter or Hawkes could start. Unless both Lewis and Walker start. I’d expect Pike to start ahead of Wood.

Prediction: a home win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A home banker is you ever saw one. I just hope we can keep the score respectable.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Hopefully the team will surprise us by not only playing better than expected but getting something out of the game. We are due for a good result as much as the Hatters' winning run must end sometime. It may be too much to expect, but in football you never know. That's as positive as I can be. ;)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A few changes will be made to the team, the system will be the same and we will lose comfortably again, probably 3 0.

Player
Goodison
There’s a potential scenario where the end of the season comes down to goal difference (although having the chance to stay up on last day of the season feels distant at this point), so hoping we don’t get a bashing at the very least!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
There’s a potential scenario where the end of the season comes down to goal difference (although having the chance to stay up on last day of the season feels distant at this point), so hoping we don’t get a bashing at the very least!
Yes I was thinking that. We’re out of the relegation zone by one goal from forest green but given our fixture and they are at home to Crawley, that could have changed come 5pm Saturday…

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Hendry out means Jenno will drop back into the central three with Walker and Morris. The hole left is then wide right, I'd like to see Hawkes tried there as he won't be able to line up his long shots and will have to concentrate on crosses. If Saunders starts on the left surely left footed Apter can replace him later.
Almost irrelevant who plays up top, Dennis must be a poacher as he shows no ability elsewhere on the park and Jolley is the same as all our other lightweights just toyed with by the big boys.

I'd play jenno up top and LOC in def mid but no signs of that happening. Once again Murphy looks our best keeper, this new lad goes to ground and makes himself smaller too often, maybe Nige could have a word? Surely Pike is better than Wood?

Never on the field of football has so little been expected by the few. Nought to lose?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
How would you approach this game? Similar to Morecambe I suspect hoping to gain a valuable point or maybe nick it on the break. The latter is probably unrealistic as we have little pace so I think they will try to keep it tight but it's not going to be pretty at the back. They will be under some pressure.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sorry, this might be members only, but Nige still smiling.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hendry out means Jenno will drop back into the central three with Walker and Morris. The hole left is then wide right, I'd like to see Hawkes tried there as he won't be able to line up his long shots and will have to concentrate on crosses. If Saunders starts on the left surely left footed Apter can replace him later.
Almost irrelevant who plays up top, Dennis must be a poacher as he shows no ability elsewhere on the park and Jolley is the same as all our other lightweights just toyed with by the big boys.

I'd play jenno up top and LOC in def mid but no signs of that happening. Once again Murphy looks our best keeper, this new lad goes to ground and makes himself smaller too often, maybe Nige could have a word? Surely Pike is better than Wood?

Never on the field of football has so little been expected by the few. Nought to lose?
Murphy still our best keeper? I must be watching a different game!!
Apter has looked very good on the right so I’d keep him there if starting or sub. Suspect as we’re away from home that Saunders will stay in the side for his work rate if nothing else

LOC had a great game on Tuesday so I’d keep him at RB. Wood is poor so Pike at LB. If Walker not fit then Lewis as CDM.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I suspect we will play with two defensive midfielders, as at Morecambe. Hendry and Lewis, if Walker is unavailable.

Last edited:
Player
Goodison
Assuming will be 4-3-3, therefore pack the team with work rate, physicality.

McGhee

Pike
Davies
Yarney
Turnbull

Lewis (Walker isn’t fit enough)
O’Connor
Hughes (set pieces)

Apter
Taylor
Jennings

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Adkins said that Taylor will miss the game on Saturday with a foot injury, Starbuck is out for several weeks, Merrie and McAlear are still out injured, and Leake is a few weeks away. Norris has stepped up his training and will be back 'sooner rather than later'.

Player
Goodison
Adkins said that Taylor will miss the game on Saturday with a foot injury, Starbuck is out for several weeks, Merrie and McAlear are still out injured, and Leake is a few weeks away. Norris has stepped up his training and will be back 'sooner rather than later'.
Maybe that is the Taylor mystery solved!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Obviously, if fit enough, keeping him for the six pointers after Saturday.

I can't see anything but a home win.
Everything weak for us, is strong for Stockport.
But miracles do happen.
Prayer mat is getting a lot of use.

I actually believe that I'm losing any last hope or patience with this lot!
It's a very hard watch!
I was never like this in 2015!
I always had my faith in my club.
I feel like I am being betrayed for the loyalty I've shown these past fifty years.
It is not the club I have always held in respect and dignity.
The heart of the club has been thrown away.
And it won't get any better anytime soonest.

I hope and prayer that before long, this insufferable episode in our history is well and truly consigned to the dustbin!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Starbuck injured already?! We don’t have much luck with injured full backs