• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Stags

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Mansfield

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Stags
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 18, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 18, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A game which brutally exposed the weaknesses in the squad.

We actually started quite brightly, but as the first half progressed any attacking threat waned and we offered absolutely nothing in the eighteen yard box. There was very little quality from centre midfield, with Hendry having a quiet game, and we could not break down Mansfield's well drilled back five.

Both of the goals were poor defensively again. For the first we did not deal with the second phase of a set play, for the second Jameson seemed to lose his man and we then failed to respond to the ball coming back off the bar after Murphy made a good save.

I thought Davies, Hawkes and O'Connor had decent games, and there was no lack of effort, but there was a serious lack of quality elsewhere. Murphy made several good saves and Chalmers did show a bit of spark when he came on. It would have been a difficult enough game for our first eleven, but take Morris and Turnbull out of the equation and we all saw the result.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Changing the manager won't turn Jameson, Mumbongo and several of the others into footballers.
It can't make them any worse, we can't just keep playing as we are and losing games and not make a change for the sake of it.
Why on earth is Mumbongo now ahead of Burton, Burton deserves a chance but is not getting it.
We need a change and a fresh start

Player
Manager
John King
It can't make them any worse, we can't just keep playing as we are and losing games and not make a change for the sake of it.
Why on earth is Mumbongo now ahead of Burton, Burton deserves a chance but is not getting it.
We need a change and a fresh start
The squad is nowhere near good enough to compete with teams like Mansfield, as today's game showed. There was a gulf in class between the sides.

The 'fresh start' you want will result in another Hill, Jackson, Brabin or Adams being in charge of the same inadequate group of players, so be careful what you wish for.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The squad is nowhere near good enough to compete with teams like Mansfield, as today's game showed. There was a gulf in class between the sides.

The 'fresh start' you want will result in another Hill, Jackson, Brabin or Adams being in charge of the same inadequate group of players, so be careful what you wish for.
Until we try another manager we will never know, Hill actually got us into the playoffs. So your saying we just keep Micky as manager regardless of how we are doing just in case a new manager is not a success

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While the point about quality of players is valid, could Micky have looked at changing the formation or even freshen up as he’d 3 experienced midfielders on the bench in Merrie, Lewis and Nolan?

Player
Manager
John King
Until we try another manager we will never know, Hill actually got us into the playoffs. So your saying we just keep Micky as manager regardless of how we are doing just in case a new manager is not a success
I am saying that unless the quality of the playing squad improves, results will not significantly improve under any manager.

Given the owner's track record in appointing managers I am not prepared to a) take the gamble that he manages to attract somebody more talented than Mellon, which he has not done in numerous previous attempts and b) take the gamble that the new manager can then get significantly better performances from players who in several cases clearly are not good enough.

Even if you wanted to replace Mellon, sacking him now is completely mad as we are not going to get relegated and the club will simply be throwing more money down the drain which it can ill afford to lose.

Player
Manager
John King
While the point about quality of players is valid, could Micky have looked at changing the formation or even freshen up as he’d 3 experienced midfielders on the bench in Merrie, Lewis and Nolan?
Perhaps, but then he has freshened things up with the use of Turner-Cooke, Chalmers etc.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Since we went to 4 4 2 early in the season he's just stuck with it even though its clearly not working, just baffling

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the focus has to be on recruitment. There are too many below par players in that side. Jameson, Hewelt, Mumbongo (he was terrible today), Saunders has made no impression since joining and the likes of Chalmers and Hendry are struggling to impress.

If we change the manager, we will not get a more experienced manager than Micky. I think we are now starting to see the problems with limited investment. We are just an average side in this division and I think people need to accept what it is instead of having unrealistic expectations of the manager and squad..

I think MP really needs to try and find investment within the next year as things wont get better on the pitch and he's not getting any younger! I think this is a fairly crucial time for Rovers.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Sometimes in football, you just have to say, that Mansfield are a better team than us! In all departments!
We were sadly lacking in class and performance.

This is where we are!

Not good enough!

Never mind the people, overall the club is going backwards, as it's a football club, the performance and success on the pitch is crucial and will effect income.
Whatever it is, it's not working!
The quality overall in the present squad is no where near what is required to challenge. I don't think we would be challenging in the National league with the present squad.
We are again in survival mode, look what happened the last time when we did that. Relegation (twice)
Plenty of stupid rumours going around the main stand today. Probably bored with what was going on, on the pitch!

Very poor today!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think the focus has to be on recruitment. There are too many below par players in that side. Jameson, Hewelt, Mumbongo (he was terrible today), Saunders has made no impression since joining and the likes of Chalmers and Hendry are struggling to impress.

If we change the manager, we will not get a more experienced manager than Micky. I think we are now starting to see the problems with limited investment. We are just an average side in this division and I think people need to accept what it is instead of having unrealistic expectations of the manager and squad..
We don't necessarily need a more experienced manager as its not working with the very experienced manager we currently have. We need a manager willing to be flexible, yo try different formations etc not stick to 4 4 2 when it doesn't work

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's clearly obvious these players are not good enough, it's as simple as that. Micky know it, MP knows it, some supporters are delusional and clearly obsessed with getting Micky out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Disappointing, although we're playing a team who are bang in form. We looked off the pave in the first half, doing plenty right but with a lack of urgency. It is a strange league as our well deserved victory against Orient shows. All the absentees were big misses today.

On the bright side we dominated the last 25 minutes after Mansfield switched off, they announced the attendance for the first time for years and the tannoy in the Main Stand has been repaired.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I’m normally pretty confident prior to kick off but had a feeling of foreboding today, sadly proved correct. Mansfield clearly the better side throughout the game, even so we created a few half-chances that we could have possibly done better with. The first opportunity, when Mumbongo was clean through down the middle and Saunders chose to go it alone rather than pick out what was an easy pass, was an error; Saunders subsequent effort was shocking. There’s seems to be a lot of decision making we’re getting wrong of late whether that be defensively or up front. I’m resigned to a mid-table finish, but would like to see us take some risks for the rest of the season.
Each new season should bring optimism and I’m consciously not buying in to a pre-determined pessimism based on some clubs having more financial clout. That does not mean I’m delusional; what’s the point of supporting your team without an aspiration for success and to live in hope (certainly not expectation); I buy my season ticket on that basis. I also don’t want to instil negativity in to my son’s psyche before a ball’s kicked.
It’s all sounding a bit defeatist; as if today wasn’t enough to knock everyone’s confidence.
I’m ambivalent about the Mellon situation, but the time will come where a new face is in charge; however far down the line that may be, it’s just the way of the football world and he’s not indispensable. I won’t be booing or chanting Mellon out, but will just accept what the future holds with regards to who’s in charge. Mellon himself has stated on a few occasions that it’s about the here and now and not about past achievements..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I’m fairly certain that Micky won’t resign. And Palios won’t sack him. The latter would only happen if we were in danger of getting sucked into a relegation fight which we won’t.

Whether you agree or not, I’ll be amazed if Micky isn’t in charge for a while yet
I don't think he will be sacked but I also think he won't be manager next season, our form over the last 12 months now has been awful

Player
ian goodison
going to the game today felt like attending a funeral, no atmosphere whatsoever yes Mansfield where well organised but when you have a player like akins for all his age run our defence ragged while we put up with mumbongo it says it all, I feel mellon should go because I feel he has run his course, I can also see the crowds starting to stay away and the place becoming more toxic,