• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Stags

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Mansfield

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Stags
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 18, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 18, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A quick glance at the form table shows Mansfield second from top. However Salford were one place better when we beat them so all is not lost. Like the Salford game we approached it on the back of a disappointing away win, which could have impacted morale etc but we did beat a decent Salford side.

The difference I guess is that Mansfield are scoring a lot of goals, 14 in their last 6 and none more so than an impressive 4-0 win at Carlisle on Tuesday. The cumbrians who are one of the best teams I’ve seen at PP this season, were put to the sword with 4 goals in the first half, clinically taken by the visitors. Mansfield are big spenders and have a lot of quality options in their squad. Ex rover Lucas Akins scored on Tuesday and was supported by Davis Kellor-Dunn whose joined after a short spell at Burton. Other decent names are their top scorer Will Swan on loan from Forest who has 9 goals, and the likes of Boateng, O’Toole and Bowery who are all well experienced league two players. A world away from our ‘development squad of a lot of players young or inexperienced’.

As for rovers I’d expect Morris to be missing. Chalmers could start but was very poor at Bradford so Cooke-Turner may get a game. Hopefully Turnbull will return although Jameson didn’t do too bad, but we need our first choice back 4 against an attacking opponent. I also wonder if Hemmings will be dropped but the question is who for? Micky won’t start Saunders and Burton so that just leaves Mumbongo who hasn’t exactly shone off the bench recently. Maybe he’ll partner Lewis alongside Saunders to try something new.

An even bigger question is whether Hewlet will keep his place or is it finally time for Murphy to make his comeback again?

Prediction: who knows. We’ve beaten Orient and Salford recently, including after recent disappointing away results, so a win isn’t beyond us. The difference I think could be that we scored 1 each v Orient and Salford, and won with the clean sheets. I can’t see Mansfield not scoring especially if Turnbull missing. They have scored the second highest number of goals in the division so I fear a defeat.

Turnbull not yet back in training but MM said “we’ll see how that goes in the next couple of hours”.

As for the game, I just find it impossible this season to predict what we’ll do from one week to the next!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Jameson was fine the other day. Not quite Turnbull but the team really need to concentrate on the attacking side of things. We'll probably win this one as per the course. 1-0.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Would be nice if we could have a comfy day but its rovers and we dont do comfy not sure on this one

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure I agree that we can cope with Jameson at the back. While he was not individually responsible for the goals on Tuesday night, the defensive organisation was poor for the first Bradford goal and would have been better with Turnbull in the side in my opinion. In addition to which, Hewelt is struggling badly and needs the protection of Davies and Turnbull in front of him. I would not be confident in Jameson dealing with Mansfield's attacking players, and if he is in the side for an extended period I think we will leak goals.

Mansfield are in probably their best form of the season, and we really need both Turnbull and Morris to start if we are to get anything out of this game. The drop off in quality between Morris and Chalmers is huge on the evidence of Tuesday night, and Turner-Cooke does not look ready to play ninety minutes.

Player
Manager
John King
Mansfield have already sold 736 tickets, so it will be a decent away following.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hopefully a decent game too!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The question is, can we keep a clean sheet for the third consecutive home game?
My head says, yes!
my heart says draw!
my logic says no!
computer says no!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's not a great time to be playing Mansfield, who have clicked into gear at a time when we're looking a bit frazzled. In the worst case scenario, we will be without Turnbull, Morris and Walker, which limits Micky's choices. On the evidence of Bradford, while I share RLC's reservations about Jameson, Morris is the biggest loss. Neither Chalmers or Turner-Cooke can fill the gap in terms of defensive contribution and spatial awareness, while Chalmers offered very little in attack either. They do not look ready to start and should be treated no different than our own youngsters in that regard, just because they're on loan.

Mansfield currently play a 3-5-2 formation. but we're unlikely to have the players available to mirror that, assuming Micky would consider it. Without Morris, think the only viable 442 would be to move O'Connor to right-back and play JDC wide right midfield, which is experimental in itself, so hoping serious thought is going into changing the formation to a 433 or possibly 4312. In midfield/attack, Saunders, Hendry and O'Connor have done enough to keep their places, after that it's a hard call.

I would be surprised if Hewelt is dropped given what's been said about Murphy's back problems.

Despite PP not traditionally being a happy hunting ground for the Stags, I'm expecting us to lose this and think it will be a question of whether it's a battling narrow defeat or a complete thumping. If Bradford had not switched off near the end, that result could have been a lot worse.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Having not attended since Orient I am really looking forward to this one. Mansfield are in form and, if we play as well as we did against Orient, this should be a cracker! Of course I'm aware of the mixed views in respect of the previous couple of away performances, in particular, but our recent home form has been good against some of the stronger teams. I've voted a "win" but think we may need more than the single goal to achieve it.

Player
Manager
John King
Interestingly enough, Mansfield have not won at Prenton Park since 1985, a game which I just about remember.

Last edited:

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
It's not a great time to be playing Mansfield, who have clicked into gear at a time when we're looking a bit frazzled. In the worst case scenario, we will be without Turnbull, Morris and Walker, which limits Micky's choices. On the evidence of Bradford, while I share RLC's reservations about Jameson, Morris is the biggest loss. Neither Chalmers or Turner-Cooke can fill the gap in terms of defensive contribution and spatial awareness, while Chalmers offered very little in attack either. They do not look ready to start and should be treated no different than our own youngsters in that regard, just because they're on loan.

Mansfield currently play a 3-5-2 formation. but we're unlikely to have the players available to mirror that, assuming Micky would consider it. Without Morris, think the only viable 442 would be to move O'Connor to right-back and play JDC wide right midfield, which is experimental in itself, so hoping serious thought is going into changing the formation to a 433 or possibly 4312. In midfield/attack, Saunders, Hendry and O'Connor have done enough to keep their places, after that it's a hard call.

I would be surprised if Hewelt is dropped given what's been said about Murphy's back problems.

Despite PP not traditionally being a happy hunting ground for the Stags, I'm expecting us to lose this and think it will be a question of whether it's a battling narrow defeat or a complete thumping. If Bradford had not switched off near the end, that result could have been a lot worse.
I agree Morris is a massive loss creatively and defensively. I'd consider playing Merrie there given the form of the opposition. Defo not one for the new kids in such a vital role for such a game. Thus still keeping JDC bombing on from a customary deeper position. Midfield: Merrie, O'Connor, Hendry, Hawkes.
Upront: Saunders & ......torn between Mumbongo & Burton. Give Kane a rest.
Back four will pick itself.

Home win 3-2

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
When was the last time we had three good home performances and three wins against teams at the top of the league?
Orient and Salford were decent to watch, so here’s hoping for the hat-trick today.
On that note 1-1 score line predicted (remember, I never get them right!).
Time to get the lucky underwear on……..and away.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well thats an interesting lineup. All change up front with Saunders, Mumbongo and Turner Cooke starting. No sign of Hemmings?!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well thats an interesting lineup. All change up front with Saunders, Mumbongo and Turner Cooke starting. No sign of Hemmings?!
Turnbull Morris and Hemmings injured Hewelt dropped

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I didn't even notice Murphy was in goal!