• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (4) v Stockport (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stockport

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (4) v Stockport (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 17, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 17, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Totally agree. He has his critics and we know he’s not a natural finisher but if others are chipping in with goals like yesterday then he does a very good job at the other stuff like pressing defenders
Yes, I have not been his biggest fan, but the last couple of games have probably been his best performances for us.

Adkins' counter-attacking game does not really work without the pace of Saunders. We look toothlesss up front when Jolley replaces him.

I think Walker and Saunders are crucial to our style of play, for different reasons.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Where does yesterdays performance rank in our memory banks top 10 top 20?
Good question, MW. An out-of-form, bottom half Rovers thrashing the league leaders must be pretty rare, if not unique.

Leaving aside our multiple cup exploits against EPL sides, all that comes to mind is the three consecutive away wins in 2020, just before COVID ended the season and our hopes of escaping the drop. They were special and surprising, although ultimately in vain.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Here's a stat you got to love Connor Jennings has scored more league goals this season than Paul Mullin
I’m so glad that Connor is getting some recognition. He has played in all of the front six positions for us without complaint and always gives 100%. What would we have done without him leading the attack this season?

I thought his legacy would be his three heroic Wembley playoffs. When he left to join his hometown team in the NL, many wrote him off, particularly after that serious illness. However, he has come back as strong as ever. For me, he has turned out to be our best signing of last summer. Top scorer and second only to Brad Walker for assists says it all.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
At the end of the demotion season, Mark took the initial decision not to renew any contracts. Wonder if Connor would have stayed if an offer had been made. Part of his time at Stockport coincided with his illness so their fans didn’t see him at his best, but they didn’t seem to warm to him. It’s great that his return to TRFC has been better than many of us expected, thinking he’d be a squad member rather than regular. On a non-footballing level, from what others say and how he comes across on media, get the impression that he’s one of the nicest individuals on the playing staff

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
At the end of the demotion season, Mark took the initial decision not to renew any contracts. Wonder if Connor would have stayed if an offer had been made. Part of his time at Stockport coincided with his illness so their fans didn’t see him at his best, but they didn’t seem to warm to him. It’s great that his return to TRFC has been better than many of us expected, thinking he’d be a squad member rather than regular. On a non-footballing level, from what others say and how he comes across on media, get the impression that he’s one of the nicest individuals on the playing staff
Connor was a fan favourite at Stockport in fact a comment that they hoped he scored in defeat at Edgeley was widely approved on social media. Mark took a decision not to enrol more expense when we were effectively shut down, which seemed logical. I admit I wasn't bothered about him going and think I was wrong now, but he wasn't cutting it and bar Morris no one was at a far higher level.
I would reckon he could play a part in promotion, possibly about ten could but two are going to leave! If they got promoted practically every one of them would need replacing quickly!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Connor was a fan favourite at Stockport in fact a comment that they hoped he scored in defeat at Edgeley was widely approved on social media. Mark took a decision not to enrol more expense when we were effectively shut down, which seemed logical. I admit I wasn't bothered about him going and think I was wrong now, but he wasn't cutting it and bar Morris no one was at a far higher level.
I would reckon he could play a part in promotion, possibly about ten could but two are going to leave! If they got promoted practically every one of them would need replacing quickly!
Good to hear if he was, but that’s not the impression I got from reading Stockport fans on other forums.
Worrying about who to replace on promotion will be a nice problem to have but unlikely to trouble anyone this season.

Player
Manager
John King
No, I don't think Jennings was particularly highly rated when he was at Stockport, as evidenced by the fact he was deemed surplus to requirements.

I don't think he had fully recovered from his illness at that stage.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I admit I wasn't bothered about him going and think I was wrong now, but he wasn't cutting it and bar Morris no one was at a far higher level.
I would have agreed with this until the last few games before the season was curtailed, By that point he had got to grips with L1, even though it took him a while.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We offered Connor a new deal but Stockport offered him 3 years so he signed for them

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers currently 2-0 up in the behind closed doors friendly v Doncaster. Hawkes has got one of the goals

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
2-2 full time with Norris and Hawkes scoring. Expect both will be on the bench this Saturday

Player
Manager
John King
It will be interesting to see what happens vis-a-vis Jennings and Norris when the latter is fit, as they are both effectively competing for the same position. I think Saunders has to remain in the side to stretch teams.

Will Jennings be moved back into midfield and, if so, who will be left out ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From the match report sounds like Sam Taylor quite involved and set up the Luke Norris goal.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It will be interesting to see what happens vis-a-vis Jennings and Norris when the latter is fit, as they are both effectively competing for the same position. I think Saunders has to remain in the side to stretch teams.

Will Jennings be moved back into midfield and, if so, who will be left out ?
Indeed before Saturday I thought Morris was looking a bit off form and Connor could have gone on the left but Kieran was very good v Stockport. Suspect if we’re picking up results they’ll ease Norris back in given how long his previous comeback lasted. With only a dozen or so games left Nigel may rotate them especially if it looks like we don’t have much to play for.
Then perhaps next season when apter has gone Connor may play on the right although his lack of pace won’t help Nigel’s counter attacking plan.