• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (4) v Stockport (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stockport

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (4) v Stockport (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 17, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 17, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
After a run of indifferent games and results for Rovers just when we could do with a win, we play top of the table Stockport on Saturday. Adkins made a couple of changes on Tues with McAlear and Saunders starting but could not prevent Morecambe from taking all three points at Prenton Park. Hopefully Walker will be back on Saturday to provide some protection for the defence against a team that has scored 66 goals and only conceded 33 this season.

Needless to say it will be a tough task. The Hatters will be looking for maximum points as teams like Mansfield, Crewe and Wrexham sit just behind them in the table especially after their recent 3-1 loss to Crewe on Tuesday night. Former Rover Ethan Bristow will probably make the starting XI and hopefully Apter can give him something to think about.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 101517.png

The odds aren't looking good for a Rovers win (3/1) with Stockport at (3/4) but hopefully Nigel will have them fired up and we produce some magic on the day!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can only see an away win even, going for 1 3. On a separate note the season ticket details are out on Saturday for next season, be interesting to see if prices go up or remain the same

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
By their standards Stockport are having a dip in form with only 3 wins from their last 8 games. Challinor wasnt happy with their Tuesday defeat to Crewe as all 3 of Alex’s goals came from set pieces. Hopefully something we’ve worked on.
It could go either way. We score first and the fans get behind them then we’re capable of picking up a result. If they score early and backed by a noisy away support then it could turn ugly especially after our recent form.

Walker will come back in if fit but if not will Nigel be tempted to give Lewis a game ahead of McAlear? Given how good Stockport are I suspect Morris will stay on the left as better defensively than Hawkes. Up top it’ll likely be the same two. Apter v Bristow could be an intriguing battle

Prediction: a third defeat in a week for rovers

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Can only see a defeat and a rise in prices (again!)
Not good!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Challinor wasnt happy with their Tuesday defeat to Crewe as all 3 of Alex’s goals came from set pieces. Hopefully something we’ve worked on.
That's interesting @Sparky . It's a shame we are terrible at set pieces.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we will surrender a lot of possession and I can't see anything past an away win sadly.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Walker trained today so should be OK for Saturday. Luke Norris, Starbuck, Kane and Belehouan will play in a behind closed doors friendly next Tuesday
One for another day but Norris contract is up at the end of the season. Most players would be released given such a small contribution but hoping we give him another year

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
That would be ok but if he comes in and then gets injured again then you would think he would be released in the summer

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Challinor also made some observations about Crewe's high-pressing style being the best way ro stop his team. He'll be delighted to be up against an opponent who concede so much ground, if Adkins sticks with the approach from Tuesday. While Walker's likely return is a plus in terms of game management, might it be worth packing the midfield, maybe just having Saunders as a lone striker with supporting options from midfield and resting one or two regulars in a form of damage limitation? While we'll almost certainly lose, think we've got to try and avoid a pasting which would make inroads into our fairly respectable goal difference and dent team morale.

I'm going to keep posting this mantra on every match thread until we get there...

This season is not yet over, we still need a couple more wins to secure L2 survival.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
This season is not yet over, we still need a couple more wins to secure L2 survival.
The season is petering out into utter mediocrity once again, but we will not be relegated.

I don't think there has been any change in tactics from Adkins in recent weeks. He wants the players to press at the right moments, as they did in the Mansfield, Notts, Harrogate etc games, as he has said in all of his recent interviews. There are simply too many players that are tired, low on confidence or out of form at present for us to operate effectively as a team.

The lack of quality in the wider squad is the issue, not Adkins' approach. We don't have enough options to change things when we experience a lull, not that our recent form is exactly catastrophic anyway.

As for Saturday's game, I agree with Sparky that the only change will be Walker returning to the side. Adkins won't want to lose Morris's defensive qualities in a game of this nature, however below par he has been recently, so Hawkes will probably stay on the bench.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m 99% sure we won’t go down. Although if we lose tomorrow and FGR beat Crawley which isn’t out of the question, then next weeks fixture at The New Lawn has a bit of added spice.

But I still think we’ll be ok. It’s just disappointing if the season peters out as it could roll onto the next one and impact who wants to sign new deals etc

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
43 points is the average survival total. Perhaps it will be lower but we are not safe yet and there is no room for complacency. If we lose both against Stockport and then at FGR, then Rovers would only be 5 points ahead of the Vegans. Accepting that’s a couple of big ifs, but 5 points isn’t that big a margin to overturn with around ten games left.
Play the same tactics conceding so much ground against Stockport we will risk a hammering. They seemed to ease off against us after totally dominating the home game or that could have gone worse. That’s why I think it would be worth a re-set for this game. We do have enough squad options to try something different and after recent set-backs think it’s worth trying in this one match.

I

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Whilst I don't think we will go down, if Forest Green win tomorrow and beat us next Saturday and we lose tomorrow then the pressure is on big time

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
43 points is the average survival total. Perhaps it will be lower but we are not safe yet and there is no room for complacency. If we lose both against Stockport and then at FGR, then Rovers would only be 5 points ahead of the Vegans. Accepting that’s a couple of big ifs, but 5 points isn’t that big a margin to overturn with around ten games left.
Play the same tactics conceding so much ground against Stockport we will risk a hammering. They seemed to ease off against us after totally dominating the home game or that could have gone worse. That’s why I think it would be worth a re-set for this game. We do have enough squad options to try something different and after recent set-backs think it’s worth trying in this one match.

I
Don't be too gloomy. That County game was a Dawes side reeking of incompetence. The Crewe away match was similar, two home wins at a canter. The recent Crewe game ended up with us being the only team appearing to be capable of scoring, which we didn't. As long as we are competitive tomorrow you will see the significant upturn and with the same squad. Probably the biggest issue we have and this has been the case for some time now, our bench offers very little despite the battalion of players.
Not only is Apter likely to do a full 90, I can see him again being pushed up top late on. Good news Norris is due to be on the bench next Saturday.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the gap would actually be eight points, even if we lost the next two games and FGR won both of their matches ?

To get relegated from this position our form would have to be worse than in the second half of the 2014-15 season and I simply don't think that is going to happen. In addition to which, FGR, Grimsby and Colchester would all have to hit a hot streak, which is highly unlikely.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think the gap would actually be eight points, even if we lost the next two games and FGR won both of their matches ?

To get relegated from this position our form would have to be worse than in the second half of the 2014-15 season and I simply don't think that is going to happen. In addition to which, FGR, Grimsby and Colchester would all have to hit a hot streak, which is highly unlikely.
Forest Green have a game in hand on us, if we don't win either the next 2 then it's 1 win in 8.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be an interesting week coming up. Assuming we get nothing tomorrow, FGR will be in high spirits after their really good 2-1 away win against Barrow. If they win that, they would be 11 points behind us and we play them next Saturday. It's a tall order but best we pick up some points ASAP!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I can't see past a defeat and a comfortable one at that. However, looking forward to the match; it is always great to see how we perform against the best. And, you never know, this is football and we are Tranmere! I will be interested to see the attendance since car park tickets had been sold out nearly a fortnight ago. I'm expecting a big gate, despite the recent defeats, and an excellent atmosphere.

Reactions: Ian