• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (4) v Stockport (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stockport

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (4) v Stockport (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 17, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 17, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can't see past a defeat and a comfortable one at that. However, looking forward to the match; it is always great to see how we perform against the best. And, you never know, this is football and we are Tranmere! I will be interested to see the attendance since car park tickets had been sold out nearly a fortnight ago. I'm expecting a big gate, despite the recent defeats, and an excellent atmosphere.
Stockport sold out their allocation last week so will bring a big following.
Maybe our counter attacking style will be better suited to playing them as it certainly didn't work on Tuesday

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
43 points is the average survival total. Perhaps it will be lower but we are not safe yet and there is no room for complacency. If we lose both against Stockport and then at FGR, then Rovers would only be 5 points ahead of the Vegans. Accepting that’s a couple of big ifs, but 5 points isn’t that big a margin to overturn with around ten games left.
Play the same tactics conceding so much ground against Stockport we will risk a hammering. They seemed to ease off against us after totally dominating the home game or that could have gone worse. That’s why I think it would be worth a re-set for this game. We do have enough squad options to try something different and after recent set-backs think it’s worth trying in this one match.

I
Probably is worth a try Boz given its almost a free hit however I just can't see Nigel changing things. To be fair he would say the shape/system got us a point at home to Crewe and we beat Notts County at PP, so perhaps it works better against those sides who are better and we can soak up the pressure and then hit them on the counter. But I'd be amazed if Nigel changes anything. The problem is if we concede early playing that way, do we just stick with that? Its fine away from home but at home some of the fans expect entertainment even if it increases the risk of losing the match

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As I write this, my watch tells me it’s 8 o’clock on Saturday evening, but today’s match hasn’t started yet. It feels strange. The explanation is that I am on holiday in New Zealand, which is currently 13 hours ahead. So the game will not kick off until it is four in the morning, when hopefully I will be asleep. It’s something drwhoman and our other antipodean fans will consider normal, but to be it feels weird.

Having said that, I’m going for a Rovers win. My only logic is that recent results have gone against expectations, so we are due for a change in fortune.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
McAlear dropped to the bench. Walker returns. Unchanged otherwise.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lewis doesn't make the bench with Walker's return to fitness.

Fear that Nigel's reluctance to change personnel may come back to bite us, although if he's adjusted tactically to not concede so much ground it might help us a bit. Former Rovers Byrne and Bristow both start and Stockport have a very strong looking bench.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Boz says the visitors bench is strong with wooton and madden both goalscorers at this level.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some hope as Fraser horsefall an ever present for Stockport in the league misses out

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
1 up at the break through Davies, playing well so far

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, good solid half from Rovers. Stockport done nothing yet..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good news, what are we doing differently today and can we keep Stockport at bay?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Turnbull makes it 2 0 but long way to go yet and they have scorers on the bench

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Turnbull makes it 3 0 we are the set piece kings today

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Lewis doesn't make the bench with Walker's return to fitness.

Fear that Nigel's reluctance to change personnel may come back to bite us, although if he's adjusted tactically to not concede so much ground it might help us a bit. Former Rovers Byrne and Bristow both start and Stockport have a very strong looking bench.
It's clear you need certain subs whatever what and Lewis gets in when we need a central midfielder due to injury. Must be a clue that he and two below him will leave? Bristow kept Apter quietish and Byrne will always baffle me.
Everything fell our way today and momentum took over. With Norris back we could play like a top six side?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An excellent result will look forward to the reports on what was changed and how we ended up winning so comfortably. Not down to my absence, wasn’t at Morecambe game either :)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well I never expected that at 9:30pm on Tuesday night!
I did wonder with their lack of form whether we could sneak a narrow win but never expected 4-0. I mentioned in the thread about their issues defending set pieces at Crewe and our first 3 goals came were the same.
Davies scoring from close range after a Walker free kick gave us the lead which we were good value for against a poor Stockport side.
i expected a reaction second half when they made two subs but once again set pieces cost them. A dinked free kick from Walker was helped on by davies and Turnbull finished well. Jordan wasn’t done yet and rose to power in a Walker corner and it was game over.
The icing on the cake came when Saunders fired in a cross from the left which apter got hold off. It fell to Jennings who finished against his former club.

Obviously everyone played well and the first time in a while we’ve not made a single substitution in the game. The front two worked their socks off as did Apter and Morris with Kieran being close to scoring. Hendry buzzed around and although Turnbull understandably got MOM, having Walker back in midfield was key. His delivery was excellent but he’s very composed in possession and he had a great game.

Next two games are against the bottom two. Are the play offs still on?!? Probably not but that sort of game can’t do any harm for season ticket sales

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A superb performance and a deserved victory for Rovers.

I thought Adkins got it spot on tactically in the first half. We kept a compact shape and allowed Stockport to have the ball in non-threatening areas, and we looked by far the sharper of the two sides when the visitors turned possession over. We did not create a host of clear chances, but we were the more imaginative side when we reached the eighteen yard box. By contrast, Stockport created absolutely zilch. I can't remember a single shot on or off target from them, which is incredible considering their league position, and testament to our superb organisation.

In the second half the game opened out as it inevitably would, the visitors had some opportunities, and there was one vital save at the beginning of the half from McGee. However, our football was dynamic, pacy and exciting and we looked a threat every time we went forward, in addition to the superb set plays. We had a host of opportunities in addition to the goals and the scoreline does not flatter us.

I thought every player put in at least a seven out of ten display, but Walker made a massive difference to the midfield with his ability to read the game, break up the play and use the ball efficiently. I thought Morris, O'Connor and Saunders also had particularly good games, but I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Turnbull as man of the match. A centre forward would have been happy with his finish for the first goal and it was a brilliant header for the second. He also had a couple of chances for a hat trick.

It is a big result, as we don't want the season to end with a whimper as it did last year. With Norris returning to the side, and some winnable fixtures coming up, hopefully we can push into the top half of the table.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is also worth mentioning that we forced Stockport to change shape to a 532 at half time, and they used all five subs in an attempt to get back into the game, whereas we used none, as Sparky points out.

It was definitely Adkins 1 Challinor 0 this afternoon.

The referee was also the best I have seen at this level for some time. Very good and contributed to the entertaining spectacle by letting the game flow.

Reactions: Boz

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Well icwas listening to the game on the radio as was being batterd at work but a fabulous result fair play most of us all did think we would get beat today. Football is a funny game