• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pre season friendlies

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Wonder who was the other central defender with Yarney? None of T Davies, Hockenhull and Turnbull featured.
Jim Bentleys son Jack who is in the college

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Jim Bentleys son Jack who is in the college
Curious. Bentley doesn’t look that tall and seemed to be used in midfield or as a full-back during the previous games when he was used.

ADD

Player
Norwood
So still no Dennis/ Norris or Hemmings even for a few minutes. A real concern this that all 3 are injured still (assuming that is Hemmings is not being kept out as he is off).
Good to see McAlear played 90 minutes and scored and Walker got some more minutes also. Good to read that also that Blackpool had a few senior players playing.
Apparently Bentley has been offered a deal I read elsewhere.... Mikey Davies also got some game time I see.

Last edited:

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Curious. Bentley doesn’t look that tall and seemed to be used in midfield or as a full-back during the previous games when he was used.
Saw Bentley close up at Vauxhalls Boz and thought he could do a job at CB if required. He looks like a strong unit to me.

He got his head on a couple I'm not sure the trialist RB at the time would have got.

Reactions: Boz

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Do we think Yarney has signed as proper competition for the CB role. If so, Dawes will have his hands full keeping whoever is left out happy.
Alternatively is there a chance Turnbull is on his way.....or three at the back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Do we think Yarney has signed as proper competition for the CB role. If so, Dawes will have his hands full keeping whoever is left out happy.
Alternatively is there a chance Turnbull is on his way.....or three at the back.
With the number of injuries Davies has suffered its wise to bring in competition, Turnbull will only leave if there's an offer from League 1

drwhoman

I see that Liverpool Under 21s beat another Blackpool team 2-1 on Tuesday. It is a real concern that three strikers are injured. You wonder as to the medical assessments before Dennis and Norris were signed. They are older players so bound to have a few historical issues. BTW, Glatzel played for Liverpool Under 21s although we are unlikely to see him back given the unfortunate history.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Between Davies’ injury record and Turnbull, if he stays, is always prone to the occasional wild challenge, so we definitely need cover. Think Yarney will get quite a few games. Was a bit surprised Hockenhull didn’t feature at all today, injured or has a decision been made he’s nowhere near the first team. I take Higgy 2s point on Bentley although think that he would be better deployed elsewhere than central defence.

On forwards think Dennis was quoted as feeling he’d be available for Wigan, see if that works. Norris probably on the bench at Barrow is the most positive scenario. No idea about Hemmings. The big question is whether we’ll be creating enough chances for the attack whoever it might be and it feels there are still concerns in that respect.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Definite cause for optimism today. Until now, we have hardly impressed. However, today our mixture of first-teamers and youngsters beat their similar set-up, coming from behind. My main worry at the moment is that we get a couple of our best strikers fit and match fit before the Barrow game. I think it's important we start the season well to relieve the pressure on Dawes.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we played well on Saturday as well to be honest.

There will inevitably be pressure on Dawes because he has got a decent squad to work with and the stated aim of the club is promotion.

You wonder as to the medical assessments before Dennis and Norris were signed.
Dennis was fit when we signed him and he played for us at Vauxhalls. The injury he picked up there could’ve happened to anyone, although it’s a concern that he hasn’t played since then seeing as Dawes played it down at the time.

Palios on the radio today said we were fully aware of the foot injury Norris was recovering from when we signed him, and it doesn’t sound like he’s too far off now. So all going to plan with him so far.

Player
Manager
John King
I wish the same could have been said for Potter, Woods, Glatzel, Mumbongo and others. We have a recent history of gambling on injury prone players, which was certainly something that needed to change.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good catch-up video with MP on YouTube

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A good interview with mark and it’s probably nothing but he mentions all of our strikers - Norris, Dennis, Jolley, Taylor and Saunders - but not Hemmings….

Player
Manager
John King
A good interview with mark and it’s probably nothing but he mentions all of our strikers - Norris, Dennis, Jolley, Taylor and Saunders - but not Hemmings….
I did not think it was that great to be honest. It was quite tetchy and defensive in parts, and the rationale behind the appointment of the management team did not convince. He rightly stated that the squad was unbalanced last season, but claimed we had 'bad luck' with the injuries to Glatzel and Mumbongo, when it was clear we were taking a huge risk by signing them, particularly the former.

I am at a stage where, after a decade of their ownership, I would prefer less chat and more delivery on the pitch.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Maybe I’m a glass half full person but it is true that if we have another season of mid table league two then we’re arguably no further ahead than when Palios took over. Off the pitch perhaps we are, but it’s on the pitch that matters to most people.

It is true that Palios is good at spin talk but he’ll be judged by results. He mentioned the unbalanced squad last season when a lot of that was down to recruitment which he signed off on (and Micky had to bare the brunt of)

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
On a different note Wrexham taking the states bye storm they played in front of 50k fans the other day think they will fly up the lgs on a downer for them mullin has a puctured lung against man U