• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

NEW PLAYERS

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Strength in numbers. I don't think we should expect anything spectacular from these guys but at least we have options. What's happened to Djumo? Maybe he's had second thoughts..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've not seen anything of pre-season, but it sounds like a couple of full-backs we had on trial were half-decent, yet no deals offered. Defensively, we look brittle and feel perhaps Jeffers would be a forward too far, whose wage could be better used elsewhere. I remember Ronnie resorted to playing Gareth Taylor in central defence once; don't want any repetition of that situation.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am slightly concerned by the Atkinson situation, as we are apparently obliged to play him under the terms of the loan deal. That is fine all the while Wallace is out, but when he returns Max will probably be pushed aside for a player who is still an unknown quantity at the moment.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We now have almost the same number of players on contract or on long-term loans as we had last season, not counting Djumo or Koumas. At risk of repeating myself, we still need defensive cover. We got by last season as we had relatively few injuries and hardly any suspensions in the back four. We may not be so lucky next season. At the moment we have just Holmes, Horwood, Goodison, Taylor and Foster - four to play and just one for the bench. I'm not aware of any youngsters coming through. Ronnie must be close to his target numbers, so I assume he'll be relying on short-term loans for cover.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Should be there soon with a good set of players ! hopefully wont get burnt in January again and will push on this season

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There will always be injuries and suspensions. Said the same before last season and look what bad luck we had. We now rely on short term loan deals throughout the season and I don't think this season will be any different. I'm not particularly concerned with the current player situation. I would much rather strengthen up front first and foremost.

@Rockfords Love Child Think these loan deals where you have to play the player are ridiculous. You should never been told you have to play a certain player. Bit of a farce really.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Paper state that Jeffers has not took up contract offer as he wanted better deal. He looked useful in the early friendlies, although I wondered how he would cope at the real level. Inter Milan guy has gone off the radar now - so we may not have glut of strikers as once appeared. Midfield however nowe looks solid - so just a couple of defenders (maybe loanees now) and we are set:)

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Hate to sound pessimistic Higgy but it is looking less and less certain after each report that James Wallace will be back. He is spending a further week having treatment on his knee and may require a further operation. I really do hope for his sake, as well as for that of the club, that James is able to play again. We also don't know how the Koumas saga will play out. So perhaps we not as strong in the midfield as was originally thought.

drwhoman

I see Zoum has signed for Leicester. Two year deal. No surprise there. A player who blossomed at Rovers. Shame we could not get any money for him. Might have helped pay for some spare defenders which must be a priority now. Full back particularly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hmm, that sounds ominous regarding Wallace. I can't imagine we'll see him anytime soon.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I see Zoum has signed for Leicester. Two year deal. No surprise there. A player who blossomed at Rovers. Shame we could not get any money for him. Might have helped pay for some spare defenders which must be a priority now. Full back particularly.
It was inevitable, bit I'm still disappointed. Thought he was a great full back at this level. Good luck to him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be interesting to see how Zoum fares at a top-end of Championship side.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Pleased for Zoum as he had a great attitude and did really well for us (except for last two months of the season) and was a star performer in many of our best performances. I think he developed a lot in his time at Tranmere being now a much better defender than he was when first arriving with us - he was always exciting going forward but a naïve in his defensive play at first.

It is being reported that Adam Mc Gurk is close to signing for Birmingham on a decent length contract after a trial with them. So if this is correct we could be having two fairly young players stepping up to a higher level with bigger clubs and we won't get a penny for either! It doesn't sound great business management to me. Also reminds me of the Creswell move when all we received was the young player compensation which was probably a fraction of his market value.

Player
Manager
John King
Zoum was fantastic last season and was one of our most improved players. He is definitely worthy of a place at a top Championship side and his move to Leicester reflects well on Rovers. However, his attitude stank in the manner in which the club was strung along last season, a ploy he also tried when Les Parry was manager. He is a loss, but Horwood looks a decent replacement and left back is not as crucial a position as those where we have made big signings this summer.

Unlike most Rovers fans, I always rated Adam McGurk and I am pleased he is moving up to a higher level. I don't think RM ever doubted his technical ability and it was purely his injury record, in a thin squad, that counted against him.

As regards fainling to pick up fees for either player, I think there is little the club could do. Neither player is a youth product, so we are not automatically entitled to a fee, and the only alternative, in Zoum's case at least, would have been to sell him last autumn, which would have been a hugely unpopular move.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It is being reported that Adam Mc Gurk is close to signing for Birmingham on a decent length contract after a trial with them. So if this is correct we could be having two fairly young players stepping up to a higher level with bigger clubs and we won't get a penny for either! It doesn't sound great business management to me. Also reminds me of the Creswell move when all we received was the young player compensation which was probably a fraction of his market value.
The problem is we cannot compete with other clubs when it comes to offering contracts. We really get shafted with the young players now because as soon as they make an impression and other clubs start taking an interest is only a matter of time until they move onto pastures new. Standard length of contracts these days are 1 or 2 years so if you've got a gem you'll be lucky to keep him for longer than that. Not sure there's a great deal the club can do about that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Unlike most Rovers fans, I always rated Adam McGurk and I am pleased he is moving up to a higher level. I don't think RM ever doubted his technical ability and it was purely his injury record, in a thin squad, that counted against him..
Birmingham must be in trouble if they are looking to players like McGurk. He was OK at this level when he was fit, but nothing more. Still, will be interesting to see how he gets on if the move does happen.

Player
Manager
John King
The official site reports that OFW damaged his medial ligaments in training on Friday and is likely to be out for 2-4 weeks. Mooney did not look convincing to me in today's defeat, so RM may have a decision to make ahead of the Walsall game......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Injures already and the season hasn't started yet! We need someone more experienced. I don't think Ronnie will chuck him in this early.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Injures already and the season hasn't started yet! We need someone more experienced. I don't think Ronnie will chuck him in this early.
Squad was looking quite strong with some potential trialist signings and Lowe coming on board, but with the news on Wallace and Mooney injuries and knock backs from Jeffers and possible Inter Milan guy we are suddenly looking a bit thin again.

I think Mooney will be ok if we are able to field a decent back four:)