• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

NEW PLAYERS

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I understand we don't want to risk further injury, but its a blow if he's not ready for the start of the season having missed so much of it last season.

I was slightly alarmed to read that we can't afford another permanent central midfielder, considering that we have only have two at the club as it stands ! It seems the budget has been cut again this season and the squad will be wafer-thin, even by our recent standards.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very alarming considering our small squad and lack of quality was the main reason for our failures in the second half of last season.

Player
Manager
John King
Ronnie says a new striker will be arriving on Monday, so it will be interesting to see who comes in. At least we seem to have learnt from our shortage up front last season.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I wonder whether the new striker is one of the trialists ie Shaun Jeffers(showed up ok at Heswall)or McSweeney? Or striker coming over on trial from Milan mentioned on OS. Disappointed to see centre midfielder Donnelly not given longer -looked like he had a bit of class. They have extended another centre mid's trial (Rowe) - a Max Power look a like apparently - he did ok at Heswall,but thought Donnelly edged it in terms of know how.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
I see Sodje has arrived for a year, hopefully wont be short on strikers this years.
As Ronnie says Lowe needs to get 20, cant remember last time we had a 20 goal a season striker! We need goals if we are to sustain a push

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Sodje, Lowe, JLAA, Stockton, Bocar, and two trialist strikers given another week...............should not be short in this department.:)
I know it was only Heswall, but as mentioned previously Thompson looked in good shape and very confident- so hope good season beckons for him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's was no secret we went from scoring for fun to not being able to hit a barn door. We'll have some good cover now up front and is something we sorely lacked last year.

If Sodje played regularly, he could easily net 10. As much as I like Akpro, I do think he's slightly prone to injury. Should be really interesting to see what these guys can do. Give them the service, they get us goals. Feel it a little for Stockton who's probably move down the pecking order, but he's young and we can't rely on him too much like we had to last year.

Think these are really good signings from Ronnie.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My concern would be whether we have enough in the creative department to make enough opportunities for the strikers to convert. Part of the problem during last seasons slump was that we weren't creating enough and JLAA aside, it doesn't look like the forwards are creators. Perhaps the rejuvenated Thompson may be significant here.

Player
Manager
John King
Sodje is a decent signing: scored 13 last season in 33 games. If he can form a partnership with Lowe it is not inconceivable that they could get 35 goals between them, which would be a massive improvement on anything we have had from our front players in recent years.

It seems we have pulled off a bit of a coup in getting the Italian lad. Apparently Sheffield Wednesday were going to take him but they have already signed their full compiment of forwards, and it may be that Ronnie's friends at Hillsborough have pointed him our way. Sounds like an exciting player.

With the tiny budget we are operating on, if we have five forwards we are obviously going to be short in other areas, but I think Ronnie's approach is basically correct. You can get away with a mediocre left back or right back in League One, but not a lack of attacking options, as we found to our cost last season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree with all this, RLC, but it reminds me that we currently have only two full backs on the books - and only three centre backs. We now look very thin defensively.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
@bring back the cowshed! When we lost our two front men last season, there simply wasn't the quality to replace them. Hopefully we now have that buffer. It's never the same scenario with defenders. They are easier to slot into a team and don't cause as much interruption, as long as they are decent of course.

Try getting an established striker mid-way through the season. No chance. You end up with a player like Sidibe.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
... or Jervis or Amoo or Brunt or O'Halloran. I agree, but we are still short of at least two defenders. We had too many full backs last season, but now it's gone the other way. We need a couple more for cover and for competition. I don't want to see Goodi playing at left back again!

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Neither does Goodi :cool:. There has been some muted criticism elsewhere about having additional strikers this season but people have very short memories and seem to have forgotten what cost us promotion last season......a lack of goals when injuries and suspensions kicked in! I'm sure Ronnie recognises the need to bolster the mid-field and the defence but he is right to ensure we don't fail again by not having enough strength up front

frenchrover

Player
aldo
It's being reported today that Rovers have offered contracts to two of the trialist who have been with the club over the last fortnight, namely James Rowe (midfielder) and Shaun Jeffers (Striker/Wide Forward),. Apparently, the "ball is now in their court" as to whether or not they accept Rovers offer.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Also Chris Atkinson signed today on loan from Huddersfield until January with option to extend if all parties agree. Should help strengthen the midfield.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
brilliant, just hope we get Gibson back at least until January from Boro, then we wont be too far from being set...

Player
Manager
John King
Rowe has apparently signed his contract which together with the arrival of Atkinson means we have the full complement of midfielders. Rowe looked solid rather than spectacular at Altrincham, but can play the defensive midfield role which was a position we needed to fill. Jeffers seemed to have a bit of spark, but drifted in and out of the game on Tuesday night. Definitely showed some promise though and can play up front or out wide (on the right unfortunately, as we still look a bit weak down the left side).

I would imagine we will now add a full back, and perhaps another centre back, and our close season work will be complete.