• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Gillingham (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Gillingham

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Rovers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gillingham (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Priestfield Stadium
Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
But, as Manager, he had direct input into determining the level of quality available through the recruitment process.
The recruitment is and always has been a three or four way process, as Palios has admitted, and the quality of the players signed will ultimately be dictated by finances.

Player
Manager
John King
Barrow and Sutton are just outside of the play offs and I'm sure haven't got a big budget. Turnbull, Morris, Hemmings and Lewis are all on decent wages for league 2. Our budget is not that bad but the use of it is another matter.
The budget will be a mid table budget and that is where we reside. All of the teams in the top seven have bigger and better squads and budgets than us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hawkes was poor today and was deservedly hooked. People can't on the one hand claim Mellon never changes things and then also criticise him when he does.
I just think in a team with such a poor goalscoring record then we keep hawkes on the pitch. We needed a goal to get back in the game. You keep your top scorer on in my opinion. It was more frustrating as we could have easily taken off one of OConnor merrie or hendry who have about as much goal threat as Murphy.

I think many fans sympathise with Micky over the resources he has at his disposal. But he isn’t immune from criticism if fans think he got decisions wrong.

I just think in a team with such a poor goalscoring record, that was already missing it’s second top scorer in Hemmings, hawkes should have stayed on the pitch.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was Micky’s choice not to strengthen the defence when Byrne and Simeu moved on, so don’t think he can be immune from criticism about Jameson’s failings and their part in our downfall here. Given how Turner-Cooke has been ignored after what sounded like a decent performance at Stevenage, have to wonder if we’d be better off loaning a young defender rather than him.

Player
Manager
John King
It was Micky’s choice not to strengthen the defence when Byrne and Simeu moved on, so don’t think he can be immune from criticism about Jameson’s failings and their part in our downfall here. Given how Turner-Cooke has been ignored after what sounded like a decent performance at Stevenage, have to wonder if we’d be better off loaning a young defender rather than him.
He did not have the option of strengthening the defence and the attacking areas. We had to move defenders on to free up the funds to bring in attacking players.

Our defensive record is still good overall. Our goalscoring record remains extremely poor.

Player
Manager
John King
Burton won't do much if all we do is hoof the ball up towards him, the same as we do when Hemmings is up front.
We were told by Micky before the season started we would take risks, build up play from the back yet we don't and play far too many long balls.
We don't have a go at teams from the kick off, we don't commit many men forward.

The strikers would need to have a fantastic conversion rate to score many goals as we just don't create much.
We were actually the brighter side in the first twenty minutes. Saunders did more today than Burton from similar service. He at least had a few half chances, whereas Burton was completely anonymous.

It is strange how Norwood, Cook and Vaughan - all very different strikers - managed to be prolific in teams that played Mellon's 'hoofball'.

In reality, Hemmings is average and Saunders, Burton and Mumbongo are not good enough. You can't polish a turd.

drwhoman

When was the last time a striker scored a goal and I am not including Hawkes? They are just dire. A highly predictable result!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The strikers are poor overall. We were spoilt with Nors and cookie plus Jennings to support. More recently we’ve had Vaughan, Woolery, Glatzel (when fit), and CBT, not to mention Mullin.

When you compare that to what we have now it’s chalk and cheese

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, the forwards are and will be poor no matter what manager is in charge. Now I'm looking at MP and wondering what his plan is going to be for next season. If he is still going down the experimental route then I think we can expect another season of mediocrity. I think he seriously needs to be looking for investment so we can bring in quality in the forward areas especially.

drwhoman

Yes, the forwards are and will be poor no matter what manager is in charge. Now I'm looking at MP and wondering what his plan is going to be for next season. If he is still going down the experimental route then I think we can expect another season of mediocrity. I think he seriously needs to be looking for investment so we can bring in quality in the forward areas especially.
Correct Ian. They are going nowhere and it might be even be argued that we are going backwards! Whatever the strategy is it has failed.

I don’t think it’s experimental, more developmental. Trouble is, that approach can only realistically start paying dividends (in terms of both performances and transfer fees) in the second season, at the earliest. Like you, I’ll be fascinated to see how MP perseveres with it this summer.

Regarding budget, we were told we had the budget to afford quality such as Matt, Stevens and Keena in January so, although more budget would obviously mean better players, I don’t believe the existing budget precludes better strikers than we’ve got, nor do I think that the recruitment team have deployed the existing budget as well as they could have overall. Mind you, none of those three have done anything for their new clubs so far!

MP also has a decision to make on the manager this summer, maybe even before. Maybe Micky also has a decision to make. MP said something earlier in the season about Micky being “flexible enough” to adapt to his changing conditions but, at the end of the day, MM has been let down by the recruitment, and I still don’t think developing a group of younger players is his real forte. How flexible is he supposed to be? And could anyone do better under the circumstances? Marginally maybe, but many could well do worse.

Regarding investment, I thought MP has been looking for it since day 1, albeit in a gradual way, hand in hand with the hard yards put in to make the club more investable. The Indonesians still have an option for roughly another 5% stake, though I’ve no idea what their thoughts are about taking it up, or even about their existing investment. One reporter this week also mentioned there was high profile interest in investing in the club, maybe even buying it, but the reporter didn’t know what the Paliosi’s position was. Interesting to see if anything about investment crops up at the shareholders‘ meeting.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He did not have the option of strengthening the defence and the attacking areas. We had to move defenders on to free up the funds to bring in attacking players.

Our defensive record is still good overall. Our goalscoring record remains extremely poor.
I’d agree that we’re stronger defensively, but if any of the back four are missing lacking in cover. Jameson while overall
not a terrible player, seems to have a mistake in him almost every game. My original remark was, assuming we were at budget limitation, rather than loaning in two young wide players, we could have done better making one of those loans a young defender. Always a gamble as to whether overall they’d be any better than Jameson but it would give a choice.

However, NAPOs remarks about the budget have made me wonder. The three names they list would likely cost more than Saunders, unclear if we’d have still bought Harvey had one of those deals gone through. So there would still have been some money in the kitty to put towards bringing in another defender.

For all our attacking failings in this game, if we’d defended adequately would have come away with a point.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Am I the only one who feels Jameson is becoming a bit of a scapegoat defensively? Giving an example close to home, my son watched the game with me and berated Jameson for mis-directing a header (that was my son’s opinion at least) Cogley did the same a couple of minutes later and my son said nothing. I did ask about why the inconsistency with his critique and he just said “Jameson is rubbish, everyone is saying it”. My son and I hear the negativity at the game when his name’s on the team sheet from those we talk to before the game and those around us in the ground; my son is also exposed to the same on social media. Sadly, I do think there’s a prevalent unconscious bias, possibly due to Jameson‘s admittedly poor first half in his first game, which set the tone in the minds of many and judgement becomes easy. I seriously don’t think he’s been too bad in most of the games he’s played since (he actually settled well in the second half of that first game, but legend has it that he had a terrible game).
it’s a defensive unit and responsibility and accountability needs to be shared; they’ve all made errors, it’s just that Jameson’s not Teflon coated and his just seem to stick; “wish the ball would” I hear some of you say (perhaps it’s supporters minds that need Teflon coating). I’m actually surprised Jameson wasn’t blamed for the first goal. Jameson put in a brilliant last ditch tackle in the box yesterday to prevent a clear opportunity and for all intents and purposes, looked like it was going to be put away, yet no mention anywhere on here or elsewhere; anybody else had done that and I have no doubt it would have been mentioned. His overall game yesterday was no worse than anyone else. This is not a pop at your post Boz, just incidental that I’m reading and posting now and have read comments here and elsewhere singling out Jameson; therefore I’ve become a little defensive (careful, I could get the call up if I’m too defensive!).
I just get the feeling in this case, many are looking for errors to fit their narrative; I know, by nature, we are all selective whatever our narrative.
If there’s anyone else out there who feels the same, perhaps we could set up a support group (for us, not Jameson!).
Lastly, I’m not Jameson’s agent or lawyer……..the case for the defence rests (I’m just off to take him up a coffee and some breakfast).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We would be fine it we could do the business at the other end. In general the defence is not the main concern although admittedly they didn't do very well with set pieces yesterday. I think because our attack is so poor and does not retain the ball very well it brings more pressure on the defence.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Am I the only one who feels Jameson is becoming a bit of a scapegoat defensively? Giving an example close to home, my son watched the game with me and berated Jameson for mis-directing a header (that was my son’s opinion at least) Cogley did the same a couple of minutes later and my son said nothing. I did ask about why the inconsistency with his critique and he just said “Jameson is rubbish, everyone is saying it”. My son and I hear the negativity at the game when his name’s on the team sheet from those we talk to before the game and those around us in the ground; my son is also exposed to the same on social media. Sadly, I do think there’s a prevalent unconscious bias, possibly due to Jameson‘s admittedly poor first half in his first game, which set the tone in the minds of many and judgement becomes easy. I seriously don’t think he’s been too bad in most of the games he’s played since (he actually settled well in the second half of that first game, but legend has it that he had a terrible game).
it’s a defensive unit and responsibility and accountability needs to be shared; they’ve all made errors, it’s just that Jameson’s not Teflon coated and his just seem to stick; “wish the ball would” I hear some of you say (perhaps it’s supporters minds that need Teflon coating). I’m actually surprised Jameson wasn’t blamed for the first goal. Jameson put in a brilliant last ditch tackle in the box yesterday to prevent a clear opportunity and for all intents and purposes, looked like it was going to be put away, yet no mention anywhere on here or elsewhere; anybody else had done that and I have no doubt it would have been mentioned. His overall game yesterday was no worse than anyone else. This is not a pop at your post Boz, just incidental that I’m reading and posting now and have read comments here and elsewhere singling out Jameson; therefore I’ve become a little defensive (careful, I could get the call up if I’m too defensive!).
I just get the feeling in this case, many are looking for errors to fit their narrative; I know, by nature, we are all selective whatever our narrative.
If there’s anyone else out there who feels the same, perhaps we could set up a support group (for us, not Jameson!).
Lastly, I’m not Jameson’s agent or lawyer……..the case for the defence rests (I’m just off to take him up a coffee and some breakfast).
Jameson suffers from a lack of confidence, his role as sub at best isn't going to develop him. He causes his own unpopularity, the other week exposed to striker in possession with no support he had the chance to jockey him and buy time. Like Bristow any attempt to challenge him in a foot race is doomed, so what did he do went to ground in a failed challenge and set the attacker free to enter the box.
Cogley and to a far less extent Bristow have their upside of bombing on runs, Jamieson has nothing he can do to build up a following so we just wait to see the errors. Bristow's positional errors are plain to see. In recent weeks Cogley has played scorers in when looking across the line as he was too deep. Last week Merrie flagged to him the presence of the goalscorer making a run. Cogely did not respond staying with his man beyond the back post and letting the scorer free to attack Joe. You either gamble or scream at davies to react to what is now behind him.
From the highlights the back post marking went to pot at corners, conclusion must be that Davies's absence was left as an absence.
The bottom line is you sign three players from up the ladder on two years, they send the first year in non-league not even worth a recall to sit on an empty bench. You have players 19/20 who are behind them. Then you have Nolan like Maguire before him, not unreasonable signings left to rot.
Your real test is in the planning and you must plan for life after promotion, purely hypothetical at this stage. Morris was the only player who was fit up there last time, little has progressed.
Palios might be distracted by the fact he sold a worthless keeper for good money and may sell his left side for more even though it is clearly the weakest suit in the team. Hawkes and Bristow will not prosper at a higher level, not good enough.
Tranmere's policy seems to be to collect a large number of maybe good enoughs. For every Doohan there has been ten players who have to plumb the depths of non-league to get a game or just sit on a pitch side chair.
I honestly believe a pound shop Cook style target man alongside Hemmings this season would have turned this team into challengers.
Tranmere sacked King once as the team had dissolved into a mess, a decade of stagnation (no relegation available) and near going bust episodes followed. Mellon like King is very competent, they both made errors and recruitment now is most questionable. Be careful what you hope for!
Tranmere in the old days used to believe they were better than Torquay, Halifax, Crewe and others as footie bases. We now tend to think the new clubs are beneath this club morally. Harrogate and Fleetwood maybe rich men's toys but Stevenage and Crawley, when you look at them are places of 100,000 plus in their own area. Not that sure Tranmere's right to tier 3/4 existence is that sustainable in the very post industrial age.
Sorry to go on but while immediate improvement like a Morecambe is clearly possible, the considerable downside should not be underestimated.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
In the absence of further investment which seems unlikely then the development model has to stay and be a success as there is no realistic alternative.

I do think there will be a change of manager in the summer and it will be interesting to see who comes in. There will be several departures in the summer and hopefully the first focus will be bringing in a decent striker and we may have to take a gamble on someone like the striker at Chester as another option

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I'm OK with Jameson as a squad player. As Boz says he may have a mistake in him, but generally he does OK and I feel he gives it a go - unlike one or two out there yesterday. The regular back four are the stronger part of the team for me - MM just needs them on the park most of the time.
The interviews off Micky and Hendry were both honest, albeit I think Micky may have ripped into a couple after the match - you could sense his frustration.
Talking of CBs the oft criticised Byrne played in a clean sheet away win for Challinor yesterday. However it was probably a good move to let him go for money as our cover was just about good enough and there were priorities elsewhere.....that could have been dealt with better.
TBF to Micky injuries are killing us and the stand ins may not be good enough, but worse still some of them lack conviction and effort. Mumbongo shouldn't be anywhere near the bench. And while Saunders and Burton have their limitations, I elieve Saunders leaves it all out there. With similar attributes I think Jake could look to replicate some of that.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Goody, you make some interesting points about Jameson. Don’t think he’s all bad put did arrive with a reputation from previous clubs, an element of self-fulfilling prophecy perhaps. I don’t think have been his fiercest critic on here by any stretch though.

DB, had assumed that Nolan was injured again. Don’t think any justification for the left to rot comment in relation to either him or Maguire, whose absence last season was largely due to mental health issues. Would be interested in any names you’d suggest for possible “pound shop Cook style target man” role alongside Hemmings.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
TBF to Micky injuries are killing us and the stand ins may not be good enough
This is always the danger when you have such a weak squad. We were only able to field five subs yesterday and they weren't great options to change a game. We are down to bare bones at the moment.