• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Gillingham (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Gillingham

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Rovers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gillingham (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Priestfield Stadium
Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting post-match interview with Regan Hendry where he accepts a lack of quality throughout the team, but also makes the remark about didn’t know where the ball was going to land twice. Too much aerial stuff when we were lacking height both in midfield and up front?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We had enough of the ball on the deck in midfield, both Hendry and others, to have posed a greater attacking threat than we did.

I thought the post match interview was with Hawkes ? I have not seen any comment from Hendry.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Jameson simply is not at the same level as the other centre halves and we concede too many goals when he plays. He has made individual errors, as for the second goal yesterday, but in general the defence is not as composed and organised when he is there compared to the partnership of Turnbull and Davies.
Accuse me of splitting hairs by all means, but we can all look at the stats to suit our narrative and, by the miracle that is Google, here I go:
Looking at the three league games where Jameson only played/made appearances in one of the home or away fixtures,: Hartlepool, Bradford and Stockport resulted in two 0-0 results and a 2-0 loss to Bradford. Looking at those three reverse fixtures where he wasn’t playing, resulted in a 1-1, 3-2 defeat and 1-2 defeat. We’ve yet to play Newport again. Two fixtures v Stevenage resulted in one defeat and one victory (with a clean sheet), two v Gillingham resulted in one victory (with a clean sheet) and yesterday’s defeat. Then we have two defeats v Mansfield. Hardly evidence that he’s the failure that he’s made out to be by some.
Which one of our defenders hasn’t made individual errors and which other outfield players haven’t made mistakes; every game I see numerous.
I would agree that Turnbull and Davies are probably higher in the pecking order, and I would be selecting them first, but they do have some years on Jameson, with Davies being 30, Turnbull 28 and Jameson 24, so there are some mitigating circumstances.
Sorry for anything that might appear blunt in my post, but I think the guy deserves a break.

I thought Jameson looked reasonable enough yesterday, although admittedly the second goal was a bit of a blur to me and I haven’t got the stomach to watch the highlights!

He reminds me a little of Ihiekwe when we first played for us. Not suggesting at all that Jameson will ever come close to matching his subsequent achievements but I wouldn’t write him off at L2 level.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
We had enough of the ball on the deck in midfield, both Hendry and others, to have posed a greater attacking threat than we did.

I thought the post match interview was with Hawkes ? I have not seen any comment from Hendry.
Hendry said that they were guessing were the ball was going to land and that Gillingham were often first there.
He accepted collectively there wasn't enough quality all over the park. Tactful I thought as there were certain areas were the lack of quality was woeful and I think that impacts those that can play.
I'm not sure Hendry thought the ball was on the deck enough, but acknowledges there was the odd occasion they knocked it about....but not enough of them.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Jameson simply is not at the same level as the other centre halves and we concede too many goals when he plays. He has made individual errors, as for the second goal yesterday, but in general the defence is not as composed and organised when he is there compared to the partnership of Turnbull and Davies.
We have two excellent CBs and it would be a luxury to have a third given we have probs elsewhere in the team. Jameson is third choice and I can live with that and just hope in the main we keep the main two playing regularly.He has the odd mistake in him, but is not that bad. It is what it is. Byrne has gone and had plenty of detractors, but is getting games at Stockport and a clean sheet on Saturday....so Challinor must have thought he could improve him.
The injuries and lack of fire power up front is killing us. Mumbongo - hopeless and little effort. Burton - possible squad player at best. Not lazy, but give the similar physical attributes to Saunders it would be useful if he matched him for conviction. Don't get me wrong Saunders ain't the answer but at least he leaves it all on the pitch.

drwhoman

We have two excellent CBs and it would be a luxury to have a third given we have probs elsewhere in the team. Jameson is third choice and I can live with that and just hope in the main we keep the main two playing regularly.He has the odd mistake in him, but is not that bad. It is what it is. Byrne has gone and had plenty of detractors, but is getting games at Stockport and a clean sheet on Saturday....so Challinor must have thought he could improve him.
The injuries and lack of fire power up front is killing us. Mumbongo - hopeless and little effort. Burton - possible squad player at best. Not lazy, but give the similar physical attributes to Saunders it would be useful if he matched him for conviction. Don't get me wrong Saunders ain't the answer but at least he leaves it all on the pitch.
Fair comment re Saunders Higgy but he does not score goals and does not have any assists (?). Simply not good enough. Bristol Rovers saw us coming!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I seem to be out on a limb over this, still think that we needed an extra defender. Probably a throwback to last season when Knight-Percival was always injured and we were playing Clarke non-stop. Understand Byrne’s sale was needed to raise funds to bring in elsewhere, but Challinor worked with him at Pools and knows what he’s getting, seems to have worked out so far. If Hockenhull hadn’t been deemed so far off a squad place as to need exiling to Warrington to build himself up, it would feel more comfortable.

Still too early to write Saunders off.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Fair comment re Saunders Higgy but he does not score goals and does not have any assists (?). Simply not good enough. Bristol Rovers saw us coming!
Absolutely drwhoman. Saunders would be a squad player at best for me. And when you think Burton is behind him it shows how weak the front two were. My point was that if Jake wanted to improve say just 10% he could look at the effort and conviction Saunders puts in. Not saying Jake is lazy, but he does have similar physical attributes to Saunders and should be getting there to leave a something on the defenders a bit more often. Lost causes and all that.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Fair point to you, but we also saw Crewe and FGR coming for Nevitt and Doohan, so on balance we did well!

To be serious, it does make you wonder how good the scouting networks are at this level.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
While I seem to be out on a limb over this, still think that we needed an extra defender. Probably a throwback to last season when Knight-Percival was always injured and we were playing Clarke non-stop. Understand Byrne’s sale was needed to raise funds to bring in elsewhere, but Challinor worked with him at Pools and knows what he’s getting, seems to have worked out so far. If Hockenhull hadn’t been deemed so far off a squad place as to need exiling to Warrington to build himself up, it would feel more comfortable.

Still too early to write Saunders off.
Think you are touching on a fundamental difference in strategy here.
Apart from the youth fad Palios had which went into overdrive last summer, with disastrous effect. People need to wise up, you could have been 7th choice at Goodison or a 20 year old on a Prem books, that doesn't mean you will ever make a professional career. When Warwick and Dario G were selling on millions and millions to the top level, they were sourcing all their talent from the rejects of the big 2/3 locally. Everton's 7th choice keeper would never have got a contract anywhere. It was always a case of trying to turn around a talent that the big ones had passed over, it was very successful.
The secondary strategy now is an old one, sign a player who is far above your standard but has some baggage normally physical sometimes mental. A spin to win tactic.Mellon seems to overplay this, Mumbungo with Swedish interest at international level and Nolan clearly talented are the latest to just confirm their underperformance.
Byrne was an odd signing and never looked the part. Chally among his well financed squad clearly pursues a tactic of signing up reliable pros. Reliability is in the eyes of the beholder of course, but Tranmere have few players that you can rely on. You trade reliability for potential but in the current state, Tranmere have a great imbalance.
Your spare centre half needs to be accomplished, anyone with just potential won't progress by not playing. Jamieson needs to be out on loan and playing a full season, but that can be said for most of the entire squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We have taken risks on numerous players over the last few years. Sadly, I think it is more harmful than helpful. As dollars bloke mentioned, they usually come with some kind of baggage. I still believe players like Cogley and Bristow have good careers ahead of them but we have also signed a shed load of dross. If MP continues down the same road next season, I think we will srtruggle to make mid table. I don't believe this long term strategy will work and it is no good saying in 2/3 years time we are reaping the financial benefits of these younger players when we are back in the national league. I don't see progress.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have taken risks on numerous players over the last few years. Sadly, I think it is more harmful than helpful. As dollars bloke mentioned, they usually come with some kind of baggage. I still believe players like Cogley and Bristow have good careers ahead of them but we have also signed a shed load of dross. If MP continues down the same road next season, I think we will srtruggle to make mid table. I don't believe this long term strategy will work and it is no good saying in 2/3 years time we are reaping the financial benefits of these younger players when we are back in the national league. I don't see progress.
But what's the alternative, unless we get investment in then we simply have to sell players on as we are losing a lot of money as it is and don't come close to breaking even.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Without investment, I really don't know. There are only a few players in this squad that will command fees anyway. For me, development stopped after COVID and our demotion. I thought before then, we were improving as our promotion to league one demonstrated. Probably no coincidence that we were also receiving investment at his point. We have been slowly regressing since to a point where we have no decent striker at the club. That's why I fear for next season.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
It is not really a 'luxury' to have a third reasonable centre back. As long as the two first choice centre backs stay clear of long term injury we are ok in that area, but Jameson is not good enough to be in the starting line up for an extended period.

Player
Manager
John King
But what's the alternative, unless we get investment in then we simply have to sell players on as we are losing a lot of money as it is and don't come close to breaking even.
Promotion probably is not a realistic ambition until we receive new investment. If we have to sell players to balance the books in the summer then we have no alternative, but I remain sceptical that the funds raised will be sufficient to mount a promotion challenge next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think you are touching on a fundamental difference in strategy here.
Apart from the youth fad Palios had which went into overdrive last summer, with disastrous effect. People need to wise up, you could have been 7th choice at Goodison or a 20 year old on a Prem books, that doesn't mean you will ever make a professional career. When Warwick and Dario G were selling on millions and millions to the top level, they were sourcing all their talent from the rejects of the big 2/3 locally. Everton's 7th choice keeper would never have got a contract anywhere. It was always a case of trying to turn around a talent that the big ones had passed over, it was very successful.
The secondary strategy now is an old one, sign a player who is far above your standard but has some baggage normally physical sometimes mental. A spin to win tactic.Mellon seems to overplay this, Mumbungo with Swedish interest at international level and Nolan clearly talented are the latest to just confirm their underperformance.
Byrne was an odd signing and never looked the part. Chally among his well financed squad clearly pursues a tactic of signing up reliable pros. Reliability is in the eyes of the beholder of course, but Tranmere have few players that you can rely on. You trade reliability for potential but in the current state, Tranmere have a great imbalance.
Your spare centre half needs to be accomplished, anyone with just potential won't progress by not playing. Jamieson needs to be out on loan and playing a full season, but that can be said for most of the entire squad.
I don’t disagree with much of what you say, though Pools fans always had Byrne down as a steady eddy and he seems to be doing ok at Stockport.

However, I’m still keenly awaiting your list of pound shop Andy Cook style target men, who we could have recruited to pair with Hemmings.