• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Gillingham (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Gillingham

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Rovers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gillingham (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Priestfield Stadium
Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Looking at the weather forcast i would think its goning to be called off with a shit tone of snow predicted to fall

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I don't think the weather forecast is all that bad on Saturday in kent, unless there is millions of migrants on the pitch! Ha!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't think the weather forecast is all that bad on Saturday in Kent, unless there is millions of migrants on the pitch! Ha!
At the moment, here it's very cold. We've had a fair bit of snow with more to come tonight. The forecast for Gillingham is similar to where I live in Kent. It's going to be a mixture of snow and rain for the rest of the week. It's not expected to freeze, so if they can cover the pitch to keep it dry, then there is no danger of a waterlogged pitch.

It's a difficult game to call. A few weeks ago, we'd have been strong favourites, but the Gills have found a new lease of life since the last transfer window. WE will need most of our players to be fit and at the top of their game to win this one.

I've never been to Priestfield and was looking forward to going, but dare not miss my little granddaughter's birthday party. :)

Sitting on a wet seat in the rain in the uncovered away end won’t be much fun!

Gills are, to all intents and purposes, a top half team since the takeover, so a point wouldn’t be too bad under the circumstances. Wouldn’t do much for our overall position though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don’t think Gillingham have scored in their last three games so a clean sheet isn’t beyond us.

A draw for me I think.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Spoke to a friend who scouted them at Stockport, not for TRFC. Stated big, physical, well organised and stopped the game from opening up. Whether they are more adventurous at home who knows? Draw wouldn't be bad for them

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Spoke to a friend who scouted them at Stockport, not for TRFC. Stated big, physical, well organised and stopped the game from opening up. Whether they are more adventurous at home who knows? Draw wouldn't be bad for them
They will aim to win at home against a mid table side, I would imagine. They are not yet safe from relegation.

As commented above, they arguably have better players than us following their January recruitment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm with sparky, I can see a draw here in a pretty dull affair.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'm with sparky, I can see a draw here in a pretty dull affair.
Yes, with the gap to the top seven opening up to eight points after the midweek matches, if we fail to win on Saturday it could effectively become impossible for us to make the play offs.

Gillingham are one of the form teams in the division at the moment, and this fixture is arguably the most difficult we have this month. As has been commented, they spent heavily in January to sign proven players such as Tom Nichols, Oliver Hawkins, Timothee Dieng and George Lapslie.

It is difficult to guess the Rovers line up without knowledge of the injury situation. However, if Walker and Lewis are both out it is likely we will start with Saunders and Burton up front, with Merrie again deployed as a wide midfielder.

The Tranmere supporters are in the covered section apparently, which is something.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Gillingham have bolstered their squad considerably after the takeover, while sticking with the same manager, Neil Harris and pulled themselves clear of the drop zone as a result.

With the injuries, especially those to attacking players, Micky is fairly limited in options, which are likely to result in a similar formation to the Pools game. A draw would be a good result, losing the more likely outcome.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm assuming there is no problem with the game going ahead?

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Nothing on both clubs twitter pages we will win just hope we dont get more injuries

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
0-0 draw for me. With Saunders not on the score sheet.
Back 5 as per usual.
I'd be tempted to play O'Connor wide right as I thought Merrie (who I advocated for the role) struggled in the role. Albeit Micky will probably repeat the experiment.
Midfield.
O'Connor, Merrie, Hendry, Hawkes
Burton, Saunders.

Given they have some big lads Micky could try Mumbongo and play Burton wide right.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Saunders and Burton up front. Davies not involved so must be injured. Jameson starts. Bench looks bare.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We’re missing a huge amount of experience today. Davies, Hemmings, Morris, Lewis and Walker.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That is a frightening bench with its lack of options. Assume by the lack of subs that there may have been a late injury/illness No Tom Davies a big blow. Nolan injured again? The suggestion Robinson still with us and would return at some point, inaccurate? Stratulis unheard of since returning from Connah’s Quay still injured? Fearing a hammering…

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hammering might be a bit OTT Boz, but it doesn't fill me with much confidence coming away with even a point. The front two will struggle to create and let's hope the back line can hold tight.