• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two FGR (1) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• FGR

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Rovers

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FGR (1) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
The New Lawn Stadium
Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A disappointing afternoon. I knew that the Stockport result didn’t mean we’d win today but I didn’t think we’d lose.
Apart from a couple of Apter attempts first half we created very little. Too many times we lumped it long against their 3 big lads at the back. Saunders offered little and I didn’t understand when Morris went off injured he put Harvey on the left for 15 minutes before Hawkes came on with not much time to make an impact.

As RLC says McAlear was poor and it was disappointing that walker who was excellent last week was average today.

Although we beat Grimsby you do wonder whether we’re better against the strong teams who come onto us and we hit them on the counter. Whereas against the poorer sides who play ugly we’re not streetwise enough to overcome them and don’t have enough to create and score a lot.

Starting to think that as with last season we may statistically be the one of the first teams this season who have nothing to play for

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Aldo
It sounded like Tom Davies has a good chance right at the end too. However the 3 goals in the two games we lost before Stockport were all scored by attacking players and there were 17 goal attempts today, so seems the problems more with conversion. The Doncaster defeat followed a similar pattern.
Some suggestion we were set up more as a 4411 at times reliant on a titchy Saunders or rusty Luke Norris as striker, which felt like a misguided approach by the manager, if correct.
Saunders got a bit of space to run into in the first half but they sat back in the seond , so was less effective. It could have been an opportunity for Dennis. FGR sitting back also nullified Hawkes who had no space to run into. It didn't feel like 17 'attempts' at goal. Apter was a threat but given how deep FGR were , he should have been getting the ball closer to goal for me. Norris didn't get in the game.. The Morris., LOC substitutions didn't seem to make much sense , other than based on tiredness, but is it always LOC , Morris getting tired ? Given the poor quality of the crosses today I would have kept them on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Apter was a threat but given how deep FGR were , he should have been getting the ball closer to goal for me
Yes, he was the only threat. I get Adkins defending his players but they weren't great today. Their guy didn't score a 'worldie' either. It will be interesting to see how Luke Norris is for the rest of the season as we will need him fully fit for next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
NA suggested that Morris was taken off after being clattered. In the post-match he mentions the big squad and yet seems happier about the performance than RLC and Sparky's match reports suggest is deserved. Think it may be time to make use of that large pool of players and vary at least one or two on the bench for the trip to Swindon.

Luke Norris just back from a long absence and playing for a new deal. Think there has to be an allowance for him recovering and getting match fit, so I'd be surprised if he's in contention for a start for the next few games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

ADD

Player
Norwood
NA suggested that Morris was taken off after being clattered. In the post-match he mentions the big squad and yet seems happier about the performance than RLC and Sparky's match reports suggest is deserved. Think it may be time to make use of that large pool of players and vary at least one or two on the bench for the trip to Swindon.

Luke Norris just back from a long absence and playing for a new deal. Think there has to be an allowance for him recovering and getting match fit, so I'd be surprised if he's in contention for a start for the next few games.
Yes Boz I noticed the comment re the squad - he talks about how much effort Walker et al put in and sort of suggested he might need to make changes and bring in squad players but I don't see him doing it sadly. The "exciting" Sam Taylor still nowhere in sight despite sounding like he was heavily involved in the BCD friendly - for me the most glaring anomaly of Adkins tenure so far is his treatment. Nor Merrie who is praised to the rafters in the pre-match interview for "doing everything right" in training but also never gets a look in.

However you cut it it is a very poor result and Adkins/ we are fortunate that there are so many rubbish sides this season - suspect FGR will stay up ultimately probably at the expense of Grimsby and we are as a result likely safe already with our goal difference worth an extra point or at worst needing another 3 or 4 points which we will probably get playing against one of the top sides!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I'd be happy if we survived without serious injury to be honest. The Ref realised he had been conned early doors and fell to pieces. Missed late challenges ignored further diving from their forward. The two footed by the giant who immediately feigned a medical emergency was a clear red, completely out of control.
Good strike by their lad and we spent energy putting random crosses into their field of giants.
Vegans more like raw red meat diet!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I have concerns over Adkins, the constant substitution of full backs is just odd. Hopefully if he is allowed to build his own squad then things will be different

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Adkins is definitely a glas half full person but he had to be careful not to be seeing to pull the wool over peoples eyes. He was fairly positive about the morecambe performance which was a bit strange.

Yesterday at times felt like a pre season friendly. Sun was out and no real atmosphere in the away end.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As Sparky has said above, we struggle when teams sit deep and allow us possession of the ball, as the threat of Saunders is neutered and, Apter aside, we often don't have enough quality on the ball to break teams down. That is definitely an area where we need to improve, but Adkins will reasonably argue that this is not his squad and he has not been able to build a team that can cope with different eventualities.

We just have to hope that Adkins drives the recruitment in the summer and we finally assemble a better and more balanced squad. My concern is that Adkins has not managed at this level for a long time and will still be seeking advice. If that advice comes from Palios, Steve Beck and the usual suspects, I am not convinced there will be any real improvement.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Anyone know the attendance ?