• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

England v Iran

Match result

• England

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iran

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
England v Iran
Posted by Ian
Khalifa International Stadium
Monday, November 21, 2022 - 01:00 PM
Until: Monday, November 21, 2022 - 03:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A good performance by England and nine goals scored in the group stage, which is impressive irrespective of the opposition.

I think the struggles of the Welsh team demonstrate that you need legs and energy in the middle of the pitch in modern football at the highest level.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yea was a good game and we got to watch it won't make Sunday's game as we have a huge do on some great moves by the team

Player
Manager
John King
Poland adopted the same tactics as Wales last night: sit deep and wait to be beaten.

Very fortunate to go through.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Germany get nocked out as Japan beat Spain with a highly controversial winner, ah well such is life

Reactions: Ian

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
A marginal decision but at least the technology was there to make it... unlike Lampard's equaliser vs the Germans in 2010. Now Russian linesmen are another story...

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This year’s group stages have given us more upsets than any other in the history of the tournament. Results seem almost to be random. Only five of the 32 teams failed to win at least one game and only five remain unbeaten. Although I doubt whether every team left has a chance of winning the cup, I am still expecting one or two more shocks next week.

As an England fan, I am quietly hopeful. After some bad luck in recent tournaments, we are due some good fortune. Maybe this time?

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I don’t think there are any standout teams. England have as good chance as anyone. They just need to turn up when it matters.
Fair comment, although I would see us as underdogs against France, Brazil and Spain.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fair comment, although I would see us as underdogs against France, Brazil and Spain.
Unsure about Spain but Argentina seem to be warming up a bit after their shock start and we’d probably go into a game against them as underdog.

Senegal will be a difficult opponent and something of an unknown for England. It will be interesting seeing if Southgate mainly sticks with the Wales team or reverts to the Iran one. It would be very hard to leave Rashford out after his role in the Wales win, think Walker is a given now he’s proved his fitness given the lack of pace at the back. Saka deserves a recall on what he’s shown but Sterling was lucky to get into the Iran game on the back of poor club form.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
France beat Poland 3 1 Mbappe in ominously good form.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, they are looking good although Poland are average.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
One change; Saka in for Rashford, A very tough call.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
After a slow start once England took the lead the result was never in doubt, France next Saturday will be a different proposition entirely

Player
Manager
John King
If France did not have Mbappe I think the game would be fifty-fifty, or we might even be slight favourites given the other players France are missing. However, France do have Mbappe.

It is arguably the game of the tournament so far, and it is a pity that anybody that goes to Grimsby next Saturday will miss it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Following the worst game I've seen at this tournament Morocco nock out Spain on penalties

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Portugal destroyed a very poor Switzerland last night. I wasn't expecting such a good performance from Portugal, or such a bad one from the Swiss. You've got to fancy them against Morocco which would make them our opponents in the semi-final if we can beat France.