• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Doncaster v Tranmere

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That is a shame. He’s going through a barren spell but he tries his best. He would probably argue he doesn’t get enough chances created for him
We are not getting the best out of Hemmings which as he's our main chance of goals is hindering the team

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I'm not sure if says much about O'Connor and Merrie if they get replaced with an unfit Walker.
Walker should not have started especially as he didn't get on at all at Stockport

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
That is a shame. He’s going through a barren spell but he tries his best. He would probably argue he doesn’t get enough chances created for him
I agree Sparky. It is hard to judge him as a finisher. ie if he gets the chance does put it away.
Judging him as a striker is another thing. Does he find space in the box demanding to be picked out or is it a case of midfielders and in particular the full backs not getting their heads up to pick him out. The delivery into the box was poor from out wide, but even at best it would have been into areas hoping someone gets on the end of it...ok i suppise. But If any of the forwards halted a run and came off the CB or came short and weren't getting picked out I'd defo have concerns he's not getting enough chances.
Sometime the strikers run/positioning makes the pass. Which is better than "balls into the box", which is defo better than balls that don't best the first man or are over hit.
I think Morris closely followed by Hendry are the cleverest players on the park.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Well that wasn't the team I would have put out or the one I expected Micky to. He seemed to agree with many that the central midfield was the in vogue scapegoat, I think that was very wrong. The left side has been the weak link all season but there are few alternatives there. It is suggested as the left back is saleable, he should remain untouched, after the Doohan sale it is hard to contest this. But performance on the park must continue to suffer.
Frankly the first half won on points was dire to watch.
Our midfield, young and blamed, have provided safety valves on many occasions this year- both have a nose for danger. With only one viable forward in front of them, they have rarely found cutting edge passes.
When the nightmare unfolded in a couple of minutes, rendering the side completely ineffective and demoralised- the contest was over. The first goal was a deflection but from a shot, however it had its root in a tame effort by Walker. The second, Walker was about to spin away with possession but the ball cannoned off his back foot, the end.
Hendry for all his skill and energy created little I could detect, like his predecessors there was little of potential in sight. Saunders is a better bred headless chicken. Bristow does not even know when an urgent matter needs to be deal with and when in advanced positions he never picks out a target he just blasts it. That is most concerning, last night it was in attack his failings were obvious.
Still would go Hemmings up front alone and certainly switch O'Connor and Walker again. The latter may happen.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think as RLC said we need to give the new players time. It is frustrating though as last night was a real opportunity. A win and we’d have only been a point off the play offs.

We have a lot more games in February albeit some very tough ones. We can only judge the new players fairly in a month or so’s time.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
To play Hemmings up front would require him to put in more effort than he is currently doing, Hendry played well last night he can pick a pass git forward well and had a couple of decent efforts

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The new players will be fine, you can see their qualities but Hemmings gets picked every game no matter how he played previously. I think he needs some time on the bench, give someone else a chance as he just isn't firing for Rovers. He is there to score goals, and boy, do we need goals!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
To play Hemmings up front would require him to put in more effort than he is currently doing, Hendry played well last night he can pick a pass git forward well and had a couple of decent efforts
Strongly disagree with your first statement. He must be the only forward in the country who has played nearly ninety minutes of every game. There has been valid criticism of him drifting wide in search of the ball and being absent for subsequent crosses sometimes from himself, he doesn't get there without expending energy or when he gets back to defend.
It was painfully obvious in the first half of the season that he had done his data by 70 minutes every game but stayed on. Data is now measured but in his case can be seen when he starts stiff legged running as the lactic acid has taken over as energy has gone. I see no evidence that he is not at optimum fitness everyone has their limit.
Up front alone suits few, Nevitt being one of the least suited I have ever seen, but it does not require more miles as you stay more central.
If Hendry can pick out a killer pass he didn't last night, he did look electric coming into tired players on Saturday far less so last night. Like Morris he could be lethal given the ball in the last third but this does not happen much.
The root problem is in my opinion, the left defends poorly and creates little. Bar Mumbungo disrupting, the second forward has done very little all season but huff and puff.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Purely on crowd issues, I will come back to the game after having the chance to view the ‘highlights’ when home.

There were 458 SWA in attendance. The away support was good and vocal in the first half and even after the Doncaster first goal, tried to rally the team but things turned toxic when the second went in. Hemmings did get some flak when subbed, which is never merited, thought he did ok apart from failing to pick out Saunders as previously mentioned. Mumbongo also angered sections of the crowd by his apparent lack of effort and reluctance to jump when he came on. There were mainly two factions in the travelling support, those who were having a go at the team/individuals and those who were having a go at them. Chant of we’re on our way to the National League summed up the mood of the evening. Btw I didn’t join in on that one…

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Purely on crowd issues, I will come back to the game after having the chance to view the ‘highlights’ when home.

There were 458 SWA in attendance. The away support was good and vocal in the first half and even after the Doncaster first goal, tried to rally the team but things turned toxic when the second went in. Hemmings did get some flak when subbed, which is never merited, thought he did ok apart from failing to pick out Saunders as previously mentioned. Mumbongo also angered sections of the crowd by his apparent lack of effort and reluctance to jump when he came on. There were mainly two factions in the travelling support, those who were having a go at the team/individuals and those who were having a go at them. Chant of we’re on our way to the National League summed up the mood of the evening. Btw I didn’t join in on that one…
No but you went! Unless I am mistaken your presence was the overwhelming issue of the defeat:mad:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The striker options just haven’t been good enough.

Nevitt, Lewis, Burton, Mumbongo and glatzel. Different reasons but I don’t think any are good enough for a promotion winning team, either ability or fitness wise.

I’d still try hawkes up top as we know he can finish. You could then incorporate chalmers on the left. Can’t see it happening though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You wonder if Keith hill is ever thinking how he was sacked when he got us to the play offs and the pizza cup final…

Totally different as he upset the fans with his bizarre comments but does make you think.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
You wonder if Keith hill is ever thinking how he was sacked when he got us to the play offs and the pizza cup final…

Totally different as he upset the fans with his bizarre comments but does make you think.
Some fans were living some Bolton related fantasy from day one, and he did seem a bit odd. But the team's performances were just in steady decline as time went on, no one had any expectation of success in the play off and not for the first time it happened under King.
I would say no one has outperformed Tranmere in the last eight matches, results have been very under par I know and last night's tactical change bombed, but there is some potential there maybe for next season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It is the inconsistency that is the killer. Sounds like Micky has no answer to it either.

Player
ian goodison
I,m no massive fan of micky and yes he must take some blame ie tactics/selections but some of the goals we have conceded doohans 3 mistakes plus some dreadful defending must go down to the players, having said that he looked lost during his interview last night.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As others have said in the past you do wonder if mickys way of working isn’t compatible with the Palios and Vaughan development model. I know Micky signed up to it (although he was unemployed at the time), but his success down the years has been largely based on senior pros etc.

We’ve had an awful lot of players this season either young or inexperienced and Micky can’t seem to get the best out of them. We do have some experience still but is it enough to mickys liking?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We are not getting the best out of Hemmings which as he's our main chance of goals is hindering the team
He will have more creative midfielders behind him in the weeks ahead, so I am not sure there will be any excuses in future.

I am not completely sure about Hemmings to be honest. His goalscoring record at other clubs is decent overall, but he had has several barren periods as well. No, the creativity here has not been great at times, but I still don't think he has offered enough since arriving. At Burton he was probably playing alongside better strikers who lessened the burden, and I am not sure he is capable of being the 'main man' in the same fashion as Norwood or Vaughan.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King

Hill had a better squad relative to the rest of the division than Mellon has had recently, but once Vaughan got injured we suffered from exactly the same problem that we have had for the two years since. An inability to put the ball in the net due to inadequate striking options.

Until the wage budget increases to a level where we have several decent forwards, I think we will have the same issue.